To the Bat Pole!

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 8:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kani-basami

Can anyone please explain what how it's applied?

I know it's banned for having a high likelihood of breaking the leg, but that's all I know.

Thanks in advance.
    Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
    Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 11:18am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a high likelyhood, but has a much higher risk of damaging the knee than many OTHER throws. It is currently illegal in Judo because of that very reason.

One 'way' of hitting a Kani is to open up with Uchimata. If you strike out you can keep your leg up there, then use your FAR hand to base on the ground and use your base leg to swing behind low on the ground. Basically you use it as a leg scissors with your Uchimata leg as the high point and your base leg as the low point. And because your leg is 'laced' between theirs it is difficult for them to step out, but also a higher likelyhood that you will swing right into the side of their knee (hello ACL!). But it sets up the kneebar and footlocks very nicely.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 11:28am

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that was what I was always taught. Kani Basami, classical applied (what throw ever is?) is just as safe as the others, but in reality, the mechanics and temptation is to do it fast and with your legs closer to each other, which makes it less of "push the body, sweep out the legs) throw and more of a "crush the leg in a vise" technique.

If your right leg is up high, then it works the text book way. If you're trying to throw it on someone fast, and you're already on the ground and the ref is about to stand you up, you are naturally going to do it lower and your left legs hold both his legs immoble and the right leg pushes the knee backwards. Crunch.

Is it still tournament-illegal? I thought I heard one of the competition guys at my old place say maybe it wasn't, but I have no idea of it's true.

Instructors get mad if you do it in class, as they see visions of lawsuits dancing in their heads.
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 11:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ=legal
    Sambo=legal
    Judo=illegal

One of Seattle's Bravest

Posted On:
    1/08/2005 1:26pm

Style: Cambo/jujutsu/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once you get your legs in place, the way it should be thrown is to keep the legs tight and rotate your hips.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 11:31am

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Fields
    Once you get your legs in place, the way it should be thrown is to keep the legs tight and rotate your hips.
    Damn. That's a good suggestion. I never thought of that. Clamp it on first, then twist.

I guess that's a whole in judo training, though. Tourney illegal techniques get sidelined at some dojos and so safe variations and good ideas, like Aaron's, don't get used. Bummer.
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 8:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In case anyone is wondering how/why/when to do this technique watch Chosan in the last Pride. He gets a beautiful Kani and finishes with an inverted heel hook. The fluidity of the techniques almost scream WORK!!!!!

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 9:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, under CBJJ rules Kani-Basami is illegal.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 1:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Recent addition to the rules. One of many :( And although CBJJ is considered the authority, most tournaments don't care one way or the other. They won't stop you from using it. I've used it twice myself. Once last year. IGJJ rules are another story - pretty much anything goes including slams.

But I think you are correct that the majority of BJJ is moving away from the legality of it. The bad thing about that is the standards of refereeing in BJJ is so abismal that you can pretty much do what you wantand claim ignorance after the fact. Add in the ambiguity of the IGJJF rules and its freaking mayhem. Can you do a fig 4 on the ankle or not, kneebar or not, etc etc. Every damn tournament is different and they seem to be modifying the rules at will.

Personally I would like to see it gone everywhere. We get enough knees blown out.

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 9:33am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    does anyone have a picture of this? I'm having trouble picturing it...
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast