232280 Bullies, 4051 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 27 of 27
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Aesopian is offline

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,501

    Posted On:
    1/07/2005 11:44pm

    Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The jokes on him for not knowing he has like 10 times the experience of the average grappler on Bullshido.
  2. Red Elvis is offline
    Red Elvis's Avatar

    Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Soviet State Of Kalifornia
    Posts
    2,201

    Posted On:
    1/07/2005 11:53pm

    supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lifetime
    1. Safety: If you're always playing it by ear, you might put yourself in a tactically bad position when facing a more experienced grappler….
    Don’t get me wrong, I can play safely and that’s what I do against more experienced people most of the time but one of my attributes is that I am extremely fast and “slippery.” I tend to use this to my advantage by moving around my opponents (who are usually way bigger than me) as opposed to letting them dictate where I go but I can play that way to. Either or is no big deal to me. Funny thing is that I do better against more experienced grapplers by being unpredictable. I think I use more bread and butter with noobs.

    Quote Originally Posted by lifetime
    2. Consistency: If you can never repeat it, then it's worthless. In a fight you have to go with what you know and play your game; it's not the time to be trying new ****.
    I will agree and disagree with this one. When grappling (sparring) I just let myself flow and see how it works out. If I have to tap then it’s no big deal. I’m not afraid to experiment with new moves or different concepts. In a fight my philosophy is completely different as I have made mistakes in street fights. The good thing is you learn from your mistakes.

    Quote Originally Posted by lifetime
    3. Bad Habits: People tend to develop shortcuts in anything you do…
    Let me explain more what I meant. When going for a basic textbook armbar or triangle from the guard for example one generally puts a foot on the hip to spin into the proper angle/bite to apply the finish. (i.e. foot used to help shrimp) I can get my opponent into the armbar without using my foot because I’ve done it so many thousand times. The technique is there only condensed and much faster.

    Quote Originally Posted by lifetime
    4. Economy: By this I mean conserving strength and energy, while also executing techniques as fast…
    Same as above… this is economy for me.


    Quote Originally Posted by lifetime
    With ALL that said though, I believe that there's no accounting for genius.
    Nope, I wish it were so! No genius here. :icon_neut
    .
    :icon_twis
    .

    To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness
  3. Red Elvis is offline
    Red Elvis's Avatar

    Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Soviet State Of Kalifornia
    Posts
    2,201

    Posted On:
    1/08/2005 12:02am

    supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    It's because you are fighting chumps. I can make almost any damn thing work on a newb but only by doing everything right can you sub people that are "better" than you. I realize I'm making a big assumption but it definately sounds like you are fighting newbs.
    Actually I go real slow with noobs and let them sub me most of the time while telling them what to do. I am more unpredictable with better guys because they know my response for their move from my response to their last move so on and so forth. By taking myslef outside the normal loop of chess moves I again have a chance. If that makes sense?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shumagorath
    I grapple and so do some other people with whom I was talking about this thread. None of us felt qualified to answer, so we didn't.
    Aesopian and I will be publishing a paper on this phenomenon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dochter
    Considering people doing what Elvis is talking about, do it to me. I too feel unqualified to answer beyond the fact that it is probably a very, very good sign.
    Come on guys! I want opinions from people who grapple. Anyone? Bueller?
    .
    :icon_twis
    .

    To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness
  4. Strong Machine is offline

    Professional Fighter/Instructor

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    829

    Posted On:
    1/08/2005 12:09am

    supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the beginning of grappling you should stick to a more technical methodical style.Because you don't have your own style yet, you learn basics and get comfortable with them THEN you learn what type of grappler you are and it becomes more fun.
    Another way to look at it is a first year science student doesnt try to break new ground.He learns what came before.Then at a certain point he is knowledgable enough to find his own way.
    Here's another metaphor(I mix em like no one else!) a really good musician who has mastered his instrument can improvise and it still sounds good.
    I'd say that as long as you are aware and confortable with the fundamentals, then by all means feel free to break new ground and find your own way.
    HOWEVER I wouldn't try moves in competition that hadn't worked for me in sparring many times.
    You say you will suddenly try a new and unique guardpass?
    Whats wrong with that?
    Sparring is not just for developing what you know.It is also for experimentation.
  5. Shuma-Gorath is offline
    Shuma-Gorath's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,608

    Posted On:
    1/08/2005 12:25am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    The jokes on him for not knowing he has like 10 times the experience of the average grappler on Bullshido.
    My instructor got his black belt in ten years. He came up with his own killer arm bar in the process, so I don't think you should worry about making up a crazy new guard pass.
  6. Red Elvis is offline
    Red Elvis's Avatar

    Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Soviet State Of Kalifornia
    Posts
    2,201

    Posted On:
    1/08/2005 1:46am

    supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong Machine
    HOWEVER I wouldn't try moves in competition that hadn't worked for me in sparring many times.
    You say you will suddenly try a new and unique guardpass?
    Whats wrong with that?
    I agree 100% with the competition statement. I tend to play it more safe in competitions although I haven't competed in years. The guard pass just kinda happened because he was countering my move and I saw an opening and took it. My intent was to get side control or knee on the belly but his reaction was just as quick only in the process he ended up giving me an armbar. I guess in reality it is just a series of techniques that were just strung together but it makes me feel like I'm doing sloppy grappling when I do stuff like that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Shumagorath
    My instructor got his black belt in ten years. He came up with his own killer arm bar in the process, so I don't think you should worry about making up a crazy new guard pass.
    I'd like to hear about his new armbar! From what position does it work?


    :XXmonkey:
    .
    :icon_twis
    .

    To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness
  7. Roidie McDouchebag is offline
    Roidie McDouchebag's Avatar

    Injury Waiting To Happen

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Kamloops, BC
    Posts
    9,419

    Posted On:
    1/08/2005 3:54am

    supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can't combine techniques, or perform them differently than instructed...can you combine cuisines? Can you eat them differently than instructed? I figure it's on the same level.

    Experience isn't required to comment on something so basic, IMO. I'm not trying to sound offensive here, but I think this whole thread is an exercise in mental masturbation/stating the obvious.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.