Posted On:
    1/07/2005 8:41am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds innovative more then sloppy.
    No, I wouldn't say the same of a newb and this->
    Quote Originally Posted by lifetime
    3. Bad Habits: People tend to develop shortcuts in anything you do. Some people in golf find that dipping the shoulders or rotating the body a little more might help them at the start, but then find it difficult to improve or perfect their technique once it has become habit.
    is why. Sounds like you learned the "textbook" so now you can start experimenting. Maybe it's not so important to think "I can't consistently pull off the same crazy move." as it is to think "Do I consistently pull off crazy moves or do they fail a lot?".

Grappling experience: 7 years of Judo (1st kyu), we trained about 60/40 standing/ground work.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 9:59am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Expert enters the discussion*

It's because you are fighting chumps. I can make almost any damn thing work on a newb but only by doing everything right can you sub people that are "better" than you. I realize I'm making a big assumption but it definately sounds like you are fighting newbs.

*The expert thing was obviously a joke...

PS I just read your Journal you have a lot more experience than I had realized so I would say the above may hold true but your opponents need only be average not newbs. Also I think it still applies to those of us that are relative beginners who get away with "tricks"
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 1/07/2005 10:12am at .

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 10:04am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brandeissansoo
    I'd like to thank all the non-grapplers for deciding to contribute to this grappling discussion.
    I grapple and so do some other people with whom I was talking about this thread. None of us felt qualified to answer, so we didn't.

Aesopian and I will be publishing a paper on this phenomenon.

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 10:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The whole point is to go from technique to technique is a fluid way, to have "no-technique" as your technique.
    Granted, this takes years of training, but is very common in ALL MA.

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 10:36am

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gojuJKDdude
    while I dont consider myself a grappler I will attempt to field this question. The moves themselves are not as important as what they teach you. This holds true for "form" as well. Whether or not you exhibit perfect form in a fight is irrelevant, but its the perfect form in training that got you to that point.

styles like silat, wing chun and bjj teach you alot about body mechanics. the moves are secondary, once you fully understand them you can create your own or use variations flowing seamlessly between the two. Its like when in Pride Nogueira created a new choke and didnt even realize it.
    first off the arm triangle has been around forever and he didnt invent it and not relize it, he said before the grand prix that he had a new move that he learned as was going ot use it and he did. he got herring and he got yokoi.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 10:52am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never seen the fight, so I could be wrong, but it appears Nog got that same choke in the fight just before the one with Herring where everyone started going "HE INVENTED A NEW CHOKE!"

From Nog's record:

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...fighterid=1440
    Code:
    Win     Hirotaka Yokoi     Submission (Anaconda Choke)     PRIDE-Total Elimination 2004     4/25/2004
    This choke has been around for a while, it's just that no one had ever really seen it in competition. I've gotten my head about torn off from people doing a similar one with the gi.

ANYWAY, to the topic at hand, I'm not qualified to answer, since I'm still working on doing technical moves before I start trying to goof around with them.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 11:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    ANYWAY, to the topic at hand, I'm not qualified to answer, since I'm still working on doing technical moves before I start trying to goof around with them.
    Considering people doing what Elvis is talking about, do it to me. I too feel unqualified to answer beyond the fact that it is probably a very, very good sign.

The non-grapplers may continue to answer.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 11:11am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gojuJKDdude
    Its like when in Pride Nogueira created a new choke and didnt even realize it.
    Ummm no. No, and no.

Next you will be saying the Gracies invented the triangle?

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 12:09pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds pretty damn cool to me, but then I'm the sort of person who gets told to take his feet of the walls when rolling.

What I'd expect to happen is as you continue to progess the techniques get less sloppy and sharper without lossing the flow making you look more like one of the very good guys.

No ones going to offer any good advise except keep rolling and let us know what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 11:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brandeissansoo
    I'd like to thank all the non-grapplers for deciding to contribute to this grappling discussion.

How long have you been grappling RedElvis?
    I've been grappling easliy for over ten years I'd say. Go here to see what I've done for a better idea of my backround.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast