Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 10:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I missed ironMung this week because I couldn't make it Tuesday. I went in last night and even though I hadn't lost much I still got owned by the collar choke from the guard way too many times.

I'm headed there for the 12PM BJJ class tomorrow. Call (416) 256-9952 if you have questions, or I can try to answer them here. The place is far from "crowded" but with about ten people on the mat last night I smacked into another group a few times.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 10:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, I'm probably going to join. The place is like 2 blocks from my house, it's crazy not to. I'll check you guys out again, next week.

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 10:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok. Let me know when you're going by, although I'm making an effort to be there every night next week.

Tell Shah I recruited you on Bullshido ;)

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 10:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *laugh*...absolutely I'll tell him that. I'll tell him that I tried to recruit you over to Siam #1, but you choked me out and dragged me over to the dark side, to BJJ.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 10:53am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Years ago I fought a boxer full on (with plenty of gear and big gloves to avoid injury) and he was beating me with fast combos until I remembered that I was a Kyokushin brown belt doing kickboxing and WTF was I doing trying to out punch him, playing his game, so I kicked him as hard as I could with a front to his chest, between his hands. Then it got to be more fun. Both schools, if they are legit, will probably teach you to wipe out the moron on the street if need be, but Kyokushin will have more techniques (though of course less attention to the punching as you'll be doing knees, elbows, throws etc). I know that some on Bullshido think I'm an idiot to believe that karate will work for self-defense, but it at least for me, as a bb, it has been more of a choice of what to use that will do the least harm to end the situation. I like boxing's fluidity of movement that includes ducking, weaving, counter punching, and combos. I like Kyokushin more than most karate for their hard sparring, clinching, throwing, and realistic self-defense drills. In our Utah dojo, Bob, the tough biker was the usual 'bad guy' that sensei would put the students against. The last time I did KK in Hawaii my partner for sd was a tough haole who'd been in the KK Tokyo tourney, boy was that fun. :icon_neut

IMHO style is often less imortant than finding good schools with a friendly group where you'll gain skills and have (some) fun along with the sweat and pain. Martial arts are hard work and they take a lot of practice. Sticking with it is important. Avoid the yelling ego/problem instructor. My best teachers have been great fighters (I've had some champions) and off the mats, mellow supportive guys.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 11:02am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    I know that some on Bullshido think I'm an idiot to believe that karate will work for self-defense, but it at least for me, as a bb, it has been more of a choice of what to use that will do the least harm to end the situation
    ? As long as I've been here it has always been about the frequency of sparring.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 11:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by j416to
    Is this the place, in Missisauga?

http://www.geocities.com/irek65/karate.html

Well, well....its been awhile since I have seen Irek.
    Mississauga eh?
    Maybe I will drop in and say "hi".

Shuma, who is the instructor for the group that trains at Okuyama's ?

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 12:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin69
    Shuma, who is the instructor for the group that trains at Okuyama's ?
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/dronanl/main_page.html

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 12:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IKO (1) eh ?
    Damn Kyokushin organisations !!!!

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 9:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I have done both.

And I can tell you know Kyokushin is the way to go. I know it depends on the school and instructor but if its a legit Kyokushin school they will offer you plenty hard training. As for the topic of punching, I spar with Kyokushin guys all the time and there is nothing wrong with how hard they punch.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast