Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 10:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks like I'm going off to college in a small town in a midwestern state. I've done some extensive research as to schools in the area and here's what I've found:

Two Judo clubs one of which that shares space with a "Mixed Martial Arts" club (sounds too good to be true). Both are in a small city 30 minutes away.

The slightly off campus TKD McDojo

The campus martial arts club with the chief art being Kyuki-do; which is some sort of TKD, Hapkido, Judo variant. The instructor is a 3rd degree black belt. There are some Judo/Jujitsu/Insert any art here except BJJ

I have been in BJJ for three or four months. Can anyone offer me any insights, and I mean any insights at all? I know nothing of this Kyuki-do, don't know the true utility of Judo, and have never seen Ju Jitsu without Gracie somehow associated with it.

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 11:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What small midwestern state? maybe someone will be able to point you to a good school

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 11:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wisconsin. Ripon College. Closest city is fon du lac

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 11:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bjj is just hijacked judo anyhow!*ducks* I don't know of any schools around there, sorry.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 11:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem, I'd like to know opinions of the respective arts however. Unfortunately I'm relatively new and don't really know how physically intense or defense useful they are

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 11:40pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem, I'd like to know opinions of the respective arts however. Unfortunately I'm relatively new and don't really know how physically intense or defense useful they are
    I hear Judo is a pretty good workout, plus the last time a judo guy fought royce, he had him choked out if the ref hadn't stopped the fight

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 11:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any opinions on this Kyuki-do?

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    2/13/2003 12:29am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    blackbeltbymail,
    Small midwestern state spells WRESTLING! Of course, I don't know about Wisconsin. Why couldn't it have been Iowa! I would say Judo, but you should talk to CrimsonTiger or Asia. Some other guys like greese1, Mr. Donkeypenis and Fisting Kittens should also be helpful...I think. I'm pretty sure greese1 has done judo.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2003 1:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Indeed. Wrestling isn't found here except in the high schools and some colleges. My college doesn't. The MA club looks intriging, it has ppl from many backgrounds but it's chief influence is TKD based. Judo looks good too, maybe they'll even let me use my Atama gi so I don't have to spend another 100 bucks on equipment!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2003 7:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give it a try....Make sure not to sign any BS contracts. Most any decent instructor will let you workout for a week to a couple of weeks for no charge. If it works out, great. If not, nothing lost. Judo is good but lacks in striking....BJJ is better....Either is much better than no training.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast