Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2005 12:39pm

Style: Liu Seong Kuntao, Baguazh

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asia
    A person can have a legit rank and still succumb to BULLSHIDO.

Look at Combat Ki.
    True, true, but how legitamate is the rank when you fill out your own certificate?

Is that rank really legitemate?
    Last edited by Blue Collar; 1/08/2005 1:12pm at . Reason: added second line

Posted On:
    1/08/2005 12:43pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL
    Isn't Remy Presas one of the top supporters of Dillman?
    Was, Remy died several years ago, but before his death, he, Dillman, and one other famous martial artist (Wally Jay?) used to hold seminars together. So Presas certainly respected Dillman enough to teach with him, which was his bad.

I've studied Modern Arnis privately for several months and it appeared to be a decent stick fighting system. My teacher did make an occasional comment however that Remy had promoted some people to rank he shouldn't have, though he didn't mention names, or imply that there was a payoff. It seems that Modern Arnis is just another system where the founder made some bad "quality control" decisions.

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    1/08/2005 12:48pm

Style: Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    Was, Remy died several years ago, but before his death, he, Dillman, and one other famous martial artist (Wally Jay?) used to hold seminars together. So Presas certainly respected Dillman enough to teach with him, which was his bad.

I've studied Modern Arnis privately for several months and it appeared to be a decent stick fighting system. My teacher did make an occasional comment however that Remy had promoted some people to rank he shouldn't have, though he didn't mention names, or imply that there was a payoff. It seems that Modern Arnis is just another system where the founder made some bad "quality control" decisions.
    Back in the day, Dillman was supposedly a good karate man, he just got caught up in his own hype and dellusions in the late '80's I think it was.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2005 12:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reformed One
    This "guy" is a 4th degree BB under Remy. How is that Bullshido?

You guys are a little to quick on the draw...you shot yourselves.

Here's a story for you, bro. He had a signed blank certificate and he put his "new" rank on there. Read for yourself. Scroll down to "Master of Defense Paul Janulis".

http://www.geocities.com/paul_janulis/theclann.html

Like 90% of all modern arnis black belts, he claims to have had a very special relationship with the grandmaster. That translates to "sucked up to the big man every time he was around just so he noticed me" . That could also translate to "I drove hundreds of miles and followed him around like a Dead-Head to get noticed".

Many of the West Coast FMA folks and the FMA heavy hitters that were in NYC in the 70's still chuckle about "Modern Arnis - the Weekend Martial Art". Pay the fee ... demonstrate some tricks you've learned over the weekend ...get a black belt from Presas in the exotic art of Arnis... the art with-in your art. :XXpuke: That model was followed for nearly three decades. B-U-L-L-S-H-I-D-O!!!

The result: Scores (if not hundreds) of self-proclaimed FMA "masters" who all claim to be "personal students" of the grandmaster. A few private lessons in between seminar sessions or after a seminar does not necessarily make you a private student of someone who makes his living going from place to place teaching martial arts to earn his living.
    Last edited by Blue Collar; 1/08/2005 1:07pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2005 1:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    It seems that Modern Arnis is just another system where the founder made some bad "quality control" decisions.
    That is an understatement.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/08/2005 1:23pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *sigh

Look guys, find out what's bullshido about it. List it out. If you haven't trained with them, haven't seen the product's end, or have no substantial evidence except for empirical logic then you have no grounds to stand on. Please give this the attention you need and let's not be hypocrites guys.

Posted On:
    1/08/2005 5:06pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Collar

Many of the West Coast FMA folks and the FMA heavy hitters that were in NYC in the 70's still chuckle about "Modern Arnis - the Weekend Martial Art". Pay the fee ... demonstrate some tricks you've learned over the weekend ...get a black belt from Presas in the exotic art of Arnis... the art with-in your art. :XXpuke: That model was followed for nearly three decades. B-U-L-L-S-H-I-D-O!!!

Thats a very damaging allegation against Mr. Presas, since it appears you are saying he was selling Arnis black belts to people after one weekend of training. I'm interested how reliable you're information is.

1) Were you at one or more of these seminars?
    2) If you were, did you see such behavior go on?
    3) If you just heard about it later, who did you hear it from?
    4) Was that person actually at the seminar?
    5) If not, how many people has this information come through?
    6) Can you name particular FMA's who received such instant promotions?

Here at Bullshido we having a longstanding interest in people who sell rank for $, so if someone has a claim Presas was a major offender, fine, but please back this claim up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 3:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I did attend a few modern arnis seminars in the late 80'/early 90's in Georgia and North Carolina back when I ran a school in Charleston. I witnessed rank tests where the hosts students got ranked higher than other seminar participants that obviously out performed them. I was even asked to sit on that examination board and was offered blackbelt rank in exchange for hosting a "camp" at my place and teaching modern arnis as the primary system. I found the offer very insulting and answered with a definitive "Hell no!!!"

I was also present at a seminar where three newcomers were presented with black belt and instructor certificates after only three seminars and six months of training in that system. It would seem that they took the offer that I had turned down.

:bs:

After seeing things like that, I made my mind up about modern arnis. Over time I made it out to California and the Philippines and heard the stories from other masters and grandmasters who told me of Presas selling certifications as far back as 1978. I was also enlightened to some other reasons why the Stockton groups held Presas in such contempt.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 1:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, Sam, does Blue Collar's experience meet the bullshido test? I would vote that it does.

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 4:47pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I was even asked to sit on that examination board and was offered blackbelt rank in exchange for hosting a "camp" at my place and teaching modern arnis as the primary system. I found the offer very insulting and answered with a definitive "Hell no!!!"

I was also present at a seminar where three newcomers were presented with black belt and instructor certificates after only three seminars and six months of training in that system. It would seem that they took the offer that I had turned down. "

This certainly meets my Bullshit Test. If Mr. Presas was alive and capable of legal action we would probably prefer to have Blue Collar reveal his name, but since the legal stuff isn't an issue here what he wrote was fine as a statement of why Presas and his organization was rotten.

This section here is quite vague, "Over time I made it out to California and the Philippines and heard the stories from other masters and grandmasters who told me of Presas selling certifications as far back as 1978. I was also enlightened to some other reasons why the Stockton groups held Presas in such contempt."

Same old question, who said what to who, but my nitpicking aside, I think Blue Collar has made a pretty persuasive case.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast