Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 11:35am

Style: taser

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bodyweight Training and Resting

Hello
    I have been training with bodyweight excercises for the lat 3.5 weeks. Initially, I could only do 25 hindu squats, 15 hindu pushups, and hold a 10 second back bridge.

After 25 days my routine consists of 1x55 hindu squats, 1x25 hindu pushups, and 2x30-40 second back bridge. I also throw in some light abdominal training and am holding handstands for short periods of time.

Everything feels great, nice and steady. I am curious if I can increase my growth speed by alternating my routine. 1 rest day every 2-3 days? Alternating between upperbody one day and legs the next? I used to do weight training a bit, and was under the impression that rest days are important for muscle growth. Is this less of an issue with only 1-2 sets of daily bodyweight exercises?

Matt Furey suggests you can do many partial sets in one day every day. Just looking for a second opinion.

Thanks,
    Snizchin

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 11:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rest periods are crucial if you are in STRENGTH training and working with heavy weights in the less than 8 reps catgory and working to failure.

You're doing calesthitics ( warm ups basically), and you are working for muscular endurance.
    Some people can workout EVERYDAY under that situation.
    So, if its working for you as it is, keep doing it.

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 12:10pm

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why only light ab work?

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 12:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do some form of calisthenics every day, as said before. Usually two for upper body, two for lower body, a back bridge, and a front bridge. When I was in school in the Marine Corps, I had a split day routine where I would work the upper body harder on the first day and the lower body harder on the second day, something similar to this:

WORKOUT A.
    Wall Walking
    Handstand Pushups
    Hindu Pushups
    Arms Extended Pushups
    Fingertip Pushups
    Elevated Pushups
    Tight-Elbow Pushups
    Mountain Climbers
    Hindu Squats
    Back Bridge
    Front Bridge

WORKOUT B.
    Wall Walking
    Jumping Squats
    Mountain Climbers
    Walking Lunges (across the big field out in the back)
    Flutterkicks
    Leg Spreaders
    Wall Chair
    Hindu Pushups
    Military Pullups
    Back Bridge
    Front Bridge

This was all I was really doing at the time, as the weight room was closed for renovation and there was no real way to get in there. We'd sometimes grab one of the heavy parachutes nearby and do some clean and jerks with it, but mostly it was all BWEs.

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 12:26pm

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <i>This was all I was really doing at the time, as the weight room was closed for renovation and there was no real way to get in there. We'd sometimes grab one of the heavy parachutes nearby and do some clean and jerks with it, but mostly it was all BWEs.</i>

Were these packed chutes, did you ever pull the risers out?

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 12:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PO9
    <i>This was all I was really doing at the time, as the weight room was closed for renovation and there was no real way to get in there. We'd sometimes grab one of the heavy parachutes nearby and do some clean and jerks with it, but mostly it was all BWEs.</i>

Were these packed chutes, did you ever pull the risers out?
    Totally packed, we were fond of using G-12Es (about 130lbs if I remember right). G-11s were too heavy for us at that time (250lbs).
    Last edited by VikingPower; 1/06/2005 2:40pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 12:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was under the impression that I AM doing strength training. Not the typical strength training with heavy weights of course, but I am consistanly doing more and more repetitions everday. Doesn't that mean I'm getting stronger? My muscles certainly look bigger/more defined since I started.

I would imagine that the kind of strength that you might be refering to is more achievable with one-legged squats, one-armed pushups, and handstand pushups.

I would prefer to stick just to bodyweight or dumbell excersizes because they are so accessable. I dont have to waste time going to the gym. I can do them anywhere. More importantly im sold on the functionality aspect of the work out. The movements feel more natural to my body.

PO9: Let me replace 'light' with 'little' Im not half-assing the workout, just doing 2-3 sets of it. Its just a supplement to the other exercises at this point because time is an issue.

Koto: I like that idea. Daily hindu Squats, pushups, and backbridge, with alternating between upperbody/lowebody days. What effect did you notice in your health/body during that time? How did it differ from the normal gym training effects?

-snizchin

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 12:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While everything that makes your muscles "work harder" can be called "strength training", fact is, strength training is build as much strength in your muscles as quickly as you can.

Weights are ideal and essential for that.

Now, the simple fact that you can do 50 push-ups rather than 10, means you are "Stronger", but it also means you have more muscular endurance, indeed, the ability that your muscles have to sustain an movement ( in this case a push up) for a longer period of time is more about endurance than stength.

How many BWE reps you can do is directly proportionat to HOW much you weight and your strength to weight ratio.

I know some guys that can bench 400lbs and can only do 40 push ups, one thing has nothing to do with the other.

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 12:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by snizchin
    I was under the impression that I AM doing strength training. Not the typical strength training with heavy weights of course, but I am consistanly doing more and more repetitions everday. Doesn't that mean I'm getting stronger? My muscles certainly look bigger/more defined since I started.
    Combat Conditioning is more of a strength-endurance routine rather than pure overall strength.

Koto: I like that idea. Daily hindu Squats, pushups, and backbridge, with alternating between upperbody/lowebody days. What effect did you notice in your health/body during that time? How did it differ from the normal gym training effects?
    When my dad visited for Family Day, he commented I looked a little bigger but that could be from the C&Js we were doing as well. I did notice I was having a really easy time at PT, because the 50 pushups and 100 flutterkicks they wanted to do combined with all the other stuff was nothing compared to what I was doing on my own time. My running time got better, but then we were running 5x a week at the time as well. I did have more endurance whenever we would wrestle for tapout in the barracks however, so that is a plus side.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 1:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Essentially, I am only training for health at this point. I do not do martial arts (but am interested in starting up within the next two years). I am not an athlete, or body builder or anything. To be honest, the only time I can ever see myself running is if someone is chasing me. I sit at a computer all day long. So this gets my heart pumping.

I care little about size/having a nice looking body or anything like that. I know its a side benefit but is not the reason why I do this. From strictly a health perspective, is there any added benefit in being stronger as opposed to JUST having good muscular endurance?

Ronin: Do you know anyone with a high pushup count that does not have a comparable bench press?

I managed to find the other body weight training thread. Im getting info from that as well.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast