Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 11:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omen Stone: You are my new Master. We used to have Kung Fu Theater on Sundays, but the damn station droppedit. I was learning so much! I called myself "Weedeater"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 11:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to name your own style you are either a) arrogant or b) a silly little boy with romantic notions.

we all have our "own" styles. Whatever. When people ask me what I do, I say I do MMA its much easier (and just as accurate) as explaining where each part of my style comes from and then detailing my 14 years of experience in the arts.

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    2/13/2003 12:15am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My girlfriend and I used to play SuperMagicalKarateFighter when we had little else to do. Funny...we never came up with any ground-FIGHTING techniques...

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Reading FD cause cancer

small hick city full with college students in Cali

Posted On:
    2/13/2003 12:42am

Style: Muay Thai and boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no it isn't aggorant as long as you don't claim to create a new style, open a dojo that based on your style, and other stuff. But if you talk about using some tech, mixing few styles, and stuff then that is cool. It is probably what a smart martial artist would do today, especially with BJJ, Shooto, wrestling, and other martial arts around.

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2003 2:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I ever created a style, it would only be a set of principles and theories. Maybe some suggested attacks, but other than that just principles and theories.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2003 2:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If everyone in this world created their own style, then there would be some better and some worse....hehe

KNOW YOUR LIMITS

Titan

Posted On:
    2/13/2003 5:19am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as you don't try to market it I think it's fine.

----------------------------------------------------------
    The story of a woman on the morning of a war,
    Remind me if you will exactly what we're fighting for.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Posted On:
    2/13/2003 9:04am

Style: non

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omen Stone: You are my new Master. We used to have Kung Fu Theater on Sundays, but the damn station droppedit. I was learning so much! I called myself "Weedeater"

Yes I know I use to watch star action channel by now they just show crappy movies with semi action. I look through the guide it said "stars action channel, whats on now: Dude where's my car?"
    Yes dude where's my car was consider a action movie I laugh ass for about an hour.
    Isn't there suspose to be a all martial arts channel soon? If computer geeks and gamer geeks get their own tv station I think we need one too.

"A California man has been taken to court for stalking Anna Nicole Smith. The man has been charged with invasion of privacy, illegal trespassing, and having really bad taste."-Conan

Posted On:
    2/13/2003 10:25am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Black Belt TV is supposedly coming in the next few months.

I'm imagining that aside from martial arts action flicks, it'll regularly feature redneck idiots in karate outfits smashing bricks and playing tag for points, much like ESPN2 does.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2003 11:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that it is essential to look at other styles and learn from them. However, there is a real tendency for people to abandon one style in favour of another when they feel that their training is not going well, instead of making the effort to learn the more difficult aspects of their main art.

While there is nothing wrong with having a 'personal' style, there are far too many many people trying to teach their own 'made up' styles, simply because they weren't good enough to succeed in an established art. I know that locally there are two schools boasting 'world champions' in organisations no-ones heard of- they would rather be big fish in a small pond, than little fish in a big sea...

Think I'm getting too old for this...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast