Posted On:
    1/05/2005 4:42pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Possible McDojo? Need some help, here!

http://www.bushidokan.net/

One of my Phys. Ed. students is attending class here. Does anyone know anything more than the website says about bushidokan? His mother knows less than zero about martial arts, and my explanations of "mcDojo" and "Bullshido" were met with blank stares. She is a good customer and her son is a good kid, so I would like to help them out.

They don't do yearly contracts, and they claim not to promote all that often. They seem like a mish mash of traditional Japanese styles, with a pseudo-traditional class structure. Other than that, I don't know.

Anyone train in this style or at the school in question?
    Anyone familiar with intructors, methodology, etc?

Much obliged!
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 4:51pm

supporting member
     Style: MT, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Eat it grandpa!

Can you say left hook?

I think in order to diagnose it as a McDojo, you would need information about price but from what I have seen, it most certainly is not people learning how to fight.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 4:56pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I plan togo watch a class this weekend....I'm not sure that his mother wants him to learn to fight. I suspect she just want's something with gis and yelling and formal discipline. I don't know what level of contact they allow or if there is any aliveness to their training methods, but the kid is 4.5 years old, so I don't think that muay thai or BJJ are going to be palatable to her....but I agree that there is little chance of him learning to fight here.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 5:00pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ is fine for kids so long as they can accept the fact they aren't going to look like Daniel LaRusso.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 5:06pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wasn't this particular knife defense being covered in one of the "worst techniques ever" threads?

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 5:10pm

Style: Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm fairly certain that is from the cover of Samurai 1 on VHS.

8th degree in Bushidokan Karate
    The founder only ranked himself 8th degree in his own system.

Called "one of the most dangerous men in the world" by Bruce Lee, Jim Harrison needs no introduction to anyone who has had even a passing interest in the martial arts over the past four decades. Known for his notorious battles during the unforgettable "Blood-n-Guts" era of American karate, he has been called the closest thing to a modern samurai the 20th century can produce.
    Jim Harrison was 3-time U.S. Karate Champion, 3-time All American Grand Champion, the undefeated U.S. light-heavyweight kickboxing champion, and coach to the undefeated 1974-76 U.S. Professional Team.

He has trained U.S. Army Special Forces and Rangers, Navy SEALs, Marine Recon and Delta Force, provided personal security for Chuck Norris, Linda (Mrs. Bruce) Lee and Prince Mikhail Matijasevic, was awarded a Ph.D in Research, Analysis and Instruction by Yudanshakai University, and was inducted into the International Karate Hall of Fame with Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee.
    Time to start verifying some of this stuff:

Jim Harrison was a member of the AKBBA, http://www.akbba.com/hof/harrison.html, a sport karate group with the emphasis on full contact. But there was some BS happening in the 90's with the group with members handing each other promotions. I don't know if Harrison was a part of that.

I can't tell a lot from the stills, it looks like not that good karate mixed with less than passable aikido. Video would be better.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 5:12pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    I plan togo watch a class this weekend....I'm not sure that his mother wants him to learn to fight. I suspect she just want's something with gis and yelling and formal discipline. I don't know what level of contact they allow or if there is any aliveness to their training methods, but the kid is 4.5 years old, so I don't think that muay thai or BJJ are going to be palatable to her....but I agree that there is little chance of him learning to fight here.
    JUDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 6:27pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They have 73 black belts.......... I'm fricking scared!

I've played an expert on the Internet.

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 7:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Doggie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guy is pretty legit. He's an old school guy that was around doing this thing before Lewis, Norris, Wall and others came on the scene. The problem is, like all the old school karate...much like that knife defense pic...it's pretty outdated.
    :car8:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 7:48pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    the kid is 4.5 years old, so I don't think that muay thai or BJJ are going to be palatable to her
    If the kid is only 4.5 years old, it does not matter, no school can teach them martial arts. It is a baby sitting program where screaming is an institution.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast