222444 Bullies, 4530 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

I'm surrounded by farms in middle america.

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 12:25pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weightlifting kirstion

I have a kirstion about weightlifting. My goal for the benchpress is to press 200 lbs for 50 reps (I think it'd be cool to do high reps at that weight). Right now I'm still working on getting to 200 (I only started lifting in the beginning of dec - before I just did bodyweights). Is what I'm doing appropriate for rapid strength gain?
    I do a set until failure at around 4 reps. Then another set of 5 reps at a lower weight. Then I'm pretty much wiped out.

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 12:49pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your training program is incorrect. Who does 2 sets? do 3 sets at least, I would bump the reps up to at least 10 since your a beginner, if you wanna do drop sets go ahead, but I would do a drop bench. If your bench has uprights I would go for incline, normal, then decline at the same weight. Shouldn't be too hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 1:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really want to do an incline/decline, I've got a specific goal in mind I want to attain.
    As for the reps, it was my understanding that anything over 5-6 reps starts working more endurance and less actual strengthgain (something to do with pathways???). I'll concentrate on endurance once I hit the 200lb mark (I'm at 140 right now, 2 70lb DBs)

Notes: I'm using dumbbells for the BP, not a bar, doing it twice a week.

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 1:10pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm worried about your strength buddy. I don't care if you want to do anything, I'm telling you how to get the full benefit from the bench press, you also need to put some back excercises into your routine so you don't hit a plateau, and work out your shoulders so you don't get chronic soreness. I like how your using dumbells though, very good, just I'm trying to increase your strength. You don't get rapid strength gain from isolation.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 1:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is lame.

If for whatever retarded reason you want to do that many reps you have to work out there and increase the weight as your strength increases. Getting to the weight and then working on getting the reps is, I'm pretty sure, a complete waste of time. As is your goal.

5-6 reps is in the area for strength gains as opposed to hypertrophy so you are miraculously right on that. Otherwise reasses your goals and come up with something worthwhile.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 1:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baofuhaibo
    just I'm trying to increase your strength. You don't get rapid strength gain from isolation.
    you=stupid
    :new_321:

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 1:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you wanna BP 200 for 50 reps ?
    Only god knows why.

You need to work your way up to 200lbs for reps ( 10-12) and only then can you even begin to think about going for more reps.

As for the # of sets, that doesn't really matter since you are trying to BP for 50 reps.

Right now, what weight can you do for, lets say, 20 reps ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 2:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That isn't my complete routine, its just the part I have questions about. I'm also doing weighted pullups (200 lbs) with the same rep goal (I'm at 20 reps at the moment). Isn't the benchpress a considered a compound lift?

(Other weights include DB squats and a combo curl and mil press [I forget what it is called] since my triceps and shoulders aren't really worn out as much as the stabilizers and chest are after the BP)

I used to do assisted muscle-ups but I'm pretty much tired of doing them and want to do something else for a while.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 2:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whether or not it is your complete routine is moot, it is your lame ass goal we're commenting on.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 3:05am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A much easier way to do it would be to just get fat until you are like 300lbs and do 50 pushups. Problem solved.

PL
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast