218358 Bullies, 7727 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 4:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Sorry to thread jack, but I'm curious how (if possible) one would go about implementing BWE with a weight lifting program.
    I do some kind of BWE every day, two for the upper body, two for the lower body, a back bridge, and a front bridge in addition to whatever weight training I'll be doing that day (mostly kettlebell workouts and awkward weight lifting, like sandbag drills, farmer walking, gripwork, etc.). I'm in the school of thought that animals run, swim, climb, and wrestle every day, and since we're nothing but a bunch of monkeys it's logical we should be able to do the same.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 4:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin69
    when do you do MA ?
    Going to class is a rarity with my schedule, but I tend to do heavybag every other day with cardio on the off days.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 5:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can, try inverted pushups against a wall, that'll help your pullups. Also if you're trying to get stronger, keep the amt of reps to a minimum. So if you are doing 4 sets of 2 reps, that's fine, try to up the sets to 10. Also, a warmup is good, I never do them in particular, but they are a good idea to get your body acclimated to the activity. Also, do cardio last. Never ever do cardio then expect to strength train. It's pointless. However you can Strength train, then switch to cardio and give yourself a good burn if you're into that sorta activity. I prefer just to let the weight training be it's own workout and do cardio on other days. I get bored easily.

I'd suggest--

10x2 Pullups, on the last 3-4 sets, pull out a chair like Ronin said and lower yourself onto it if you have to
    5x10 Pushups
    10x2 Dips, unless this is alot easier than the pullups, in that case 5x5
    That should help the core muscles that you want to improve. You can map your own routine for legs and abdominals. I'd also suggest filling a coffee can with sand, grabbing it and lifting it up and down with your wrists to add to your forearm and wrist tendon strength. That'll def help with the above mentioned exercises. You could also trap the can inbetween your feet and do raises with them, it'd help your lower abdomen, and a little bit on your quadricpes (I think that's the right name for the top of the thigh muscles.)

Do that for about 4 weeks, twice a week and after that you can go from there.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 5:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to AkiraMusashi again. Thanks sounds good

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 5:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ronin69 again. Thanks

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 6:01pm

supporting member
     Style: 7 Star

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another great BWE is the hand stand push up. I can do a total of 2. If you can't do one you can progress up it by just doing a handstand against a wall. Once you can hold the handstand for one minute try to squeak out a couple push ups. Another way to get to the hand stand push up is by raising your feet more and more over time while doing regular push ups.

One more thing with your body weight exercises is to add a medicine ball to the mix. I made my own out of an old basket ball. Cut a hole in it, filled it with old t-shirts and sand, duct taped the hole. Voila! a 17lb. medicine ball. A great medicine ball exercise is WALL BALL. Go to a wall with your ball and find a spot on the wall that is about 10ft off the ground. This is your target. Squat down and EXPLODE up pushing the ball straight up to the target. The ball hits the target and you catch it on the way down back into a squat and then EXPLODE up again. You can do this in sets of 25, 50 100 or 150 whatever.

Oh, just thought of another one, box jumps are fun too. But it sucks when you're tired and only your toes make it on to the box and slip off as you scrape your shins on the edge of the box and fall on your face.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 7:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He could always do those knee raises, instead of the jumps. I remember back when I wrestled and we would have to run stairs for 20 minutes followed by jumping them with our feet together. We did alternating exercises for a goddamned hour. @#%$% That was the worst coach I've ever had.

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 10:14pm

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Our drill seargent used to make us do this exercise he called candy poppers. It was an exercise the whole platoon had to do in unison or we'd have to start over. The goal was to make it to ten (like that ever happened). I can still here DS Snyder now

us: "Nine candy poppers drill seargent!"
    DS: "You're not a team, start over!"
    us: Much groaning

The exercise went as such

From a standing position squat down until your hands are on the ground in front of you. Kick back into a pushup position, then bring your legs back under you and stand up. That's number one. Get down again, except kick back twice and stand up, that's two. Count 3 same thing but kick out 3 times and so on.

Get up to 9, then start over...repeat ad naseum.

After that kills you follow by a wonderful plethora of pushups, flutter kicks, leg spreaders, jumping jacks, overhead arm claps, ski jumpers, knee benders, leg raises and anything else you can think of. Continue for at least 2 hours. Wear full winter gear. Have at least two quarts of water handy.

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    1/06/2005 10:15pm

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yes...mule kicks too!

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 10:51am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PO9
    From a standing position squat down until your hands are on the ground in front of you. Kick back into a pushup position, then bring your legs back under you and stand up. That's number one. Get down again, except kick back twice and stand up, that's two. Count 3 same thing but kick out 3 times and so on.
    Those are basically bends and thrusts. If you really want to make them worse, make them into eight-count bodybuilders (one of my old 1st Sgts loved those, there wasn't a PT he led that we didn't do at least 50).

It goes similar to bends and thrusts but with some additions:

1) From standing position squat down with your hands in front of you.
    2) Pop back into a pushup position (all the way up)
    3) Go down and do a pushup
    4) Come up from the pushup
    5) Jump your legs outwards so that your legs form a V
    6) Bring your legs back together again
    7) Bring your legs back under you
    8) Stand up.

That's one :)
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234