Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 1:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What many recommend to build up strength for chin-ups is the strength the biceps, alos, what you can do is, after hitting your max reps on the chin ups, using a stool/step, help yourself to chin up position and them lower yourself slowly ( eccentric rep) and to that for a few reps, this will build up your strength and help you get stronger for concentric chins.

Going to failure is something that not every trainee can do, and has it in themselves to do.
    Don't kid yourself, going to failure is great but it is NOT needed to build strength, indeed, for some who think they are going to failure and aren't, its even worst.

To tkae it to the max you must actually fail on your final rep, giving it ALL you got, not an esay thing to do for some ( indeed, for the majority), so if you can't do it, don't sweat it.
    Thing is, if you are NOT going to failure then you need to compensate for that by increasing the volume ( number of sets).

This is even more important when you haven't gotten to the point where you have added weight to your BWE, thus making it a bit more difficult to judge if you are getting stronger.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 2:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin69
    what you can do is, after hitting your max reps on the chin ups, using a stool/step, help yourself to chin up position and them lower yourself slowly ( eccentric rep) and to that for a few reps, this will build up your strength and help you get stronger for concentric chins.
    Thats what I did Monday only with pullups. The bodyweight rows thing is actually a good idea, not to the others weren't, but I'll that to my pullup routine. And all my strength training is added to my regualr workout. Which is generally geared towards endurance/cardio. For example Jump Rope, ring/circle drills, jumping drills, weighted ladder drills, punching, kicking drills etc. Also should I do pullups to rows or rows to pullups. Whats the general consensus light to heavy or heavy to light?
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 1/05/2005 3:02pm at .

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 3:15pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you do your strength training after your cardio ?

If you are gonna cycle the amount of weight you do, you shoudl start light and work your way up to heavy ( all the while decreasing the reps), when you hit your target weight you can stop there or pyramid back down.

If you are doing to failure, pyramiding down really serves no purpose unless you don't think you hit failure.

Starting heavy is not recommended, you need to warm up first, always.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 3:20pm

Style: Shen Ku master

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno if it's too late but stay away from matt furey. What a self promoting piece of ****, he's got his head so far up his ass he can see what he ate for lunch. hundreds of reps are the key to strength bullshit... If you want a good book on bodyweight conditioning you may want to look into Ross Enamait's Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness which is without a doubt a infinitely better project with tons more information and no "shoalin secrets" horse **** involved.

But even buying that (while beneficial) is unneccessary really. there are tons of free bodyweight routines available on the net. Train for strength has already been mentioned, you can do a prison workout (ladder of burpees up to 20 or 30 with a 30 second rest in between sets), or any assortment of things.

all in all though, I think you'd be better off lifting weights.
    Last edited by Urban; 1/05/2005 3:23pm at .

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 3:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronin, I do a jump rope warmup before anything. I don't think it qualifies as cardio anymore.

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 3:31pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You said you added your ST to your reg workout, I assumed it was the same day, my bad.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 3:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I misunderstood then. I just start strength training Monday, I worked late so I didn't get to boxing, so I just did the Upper Body Bodyweight exercises. but before that I jumped rope as a warmup. Yesterday I just did Cardio and Abs. Today if all goes well, will be karate then, dry squats, calfraises. Thursday will be boxing/cardio/abs. Friday probably just upper body again with jump rope warm up.

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 3:50pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long you been on this routine and what do you hope to get out of it?

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 4:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The strength training routine I've been doing since Monday, the goal is to lose weight. The boxing, I started in the middle of August, so about 4 months, the goal was to lose weight ,increase physical fitness. Karate will be a year in February, the goal as you might have guessed was to lose weight.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 4:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to thread jack, but I'm curious how (if possible) one would go about implementing BWE with a weight lifting program.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast