Posted On:
    1/05/2005 11:58am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Body Weight Exercise routine

:Fluff
    I've started strength training for the first time in years. I've decided to do bodyweight exercises because I'm too cheap to by a weight set. So I bought a Pullup/Dip/Leg Raise rack. Right now I'm trying to recreate this routine using body weight exercises, http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magaz...ss_workout.htm but I'm too weak to do alot of pullups.

:Real question
    I'm looking for bodyweight training routines that have worked for you or you know of etc. I think TaeBo Master said he liked Matt Furey's book Combat training a while back and I'm picking that up. But anything you guys can tell me would be great. I don't feel like I've worked out after doing a couple of pullups and some negatives.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 12:08pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check out this website, I've heard really good things about this guy's routines.
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 12:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He doesn't mention the frequency I should do the routine, from common sense I know it shouldn't be done everyday but what do I know. Also what about the whole deal of Upper body one day, cardio another day, lower body the next etc.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 12:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The isotonic exercises I know are to be done daily. I really can't help you out though, they are too complex to describe on an internet forum.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 12:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    He doesn't mention the frequency I should do the routine, from common sense I know it shouldn't be done everyday but what do I know. Also what about the whole deal of Upper body one day, cardio another day, lower body the next etc.
    From what I understand, the routines are meant to be done 3x a week (on the FAQ page). His routines seem geared more towards muscular endurance, and were specifically designed for martial artists (he originally started posting on mma.tv). I'm not a certified fitness person, so I'm unable to comment on anything other than what I've heard from friends/acquaintances. All of them think his stuff is legit and works, but again, I have no personal experience with it. By all accounts though, he seems to be in pretty rockin' shape. Aloha.
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 12:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Furey's Combat Conditioning is good for overall fitness, endurance, and flexibility but if you're really trying for strength training, check out Pavel's Naked Warrior routine. It's just two exercises (pistols/one-legged squats and the one-arm/one-leg pushup) but its all about how you do them. I do the NW routine whenever I can't get my hands on a kettlebell and it's excellent stuff.

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 12:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I may:

BWE ( body weight exercise) are ideal for building muscular endurance, though, beginners can get strength build up from them to ( if the reps they can pumpu out are to the max of the 8-10 range or less).
    Then, for Strength purposes, you must get a weight belt that allows you to add weight to your own bodyweight.

For muscular endurance, alternating cardio ( MA) with BWE is fine, though if you are using them to build strength ( less than 8 reps to failure perferably) you may need more recovery time, only you can tell, as long as you are progressing regularly ( either more weight is being lifted of more reps are being done) whatever frequency you are doing is fine.

As for the exercises:
    Chins
    Dips
    Squats ( you may need a sturdy platform if you are using a weight belt)
    Push-ups ( though dips work the same muscles and better, IMO).
    You can also get some adjustable DB to add to the mix.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 1:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My problem is that I can't do alot of reps of pullups. I wind up doing about 4 sets of 2 reps. And I don't really feel it like when I used to weight train, even then I couldn't do many pullups then either. I may be wrong but I've always thought to failure was not until you couldn't do it anymore but until you felt soreness and that was a sign that you had worked out your muscles to the limit.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 1:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strength trining inand of itself is a good thing. But, for us martial athletes it can be detrimentl unless you realize that it is better to add weight training to your current training routine, than to replace a portion of training with it. Your new muscles will conform easily to whatever you want, if you don't stop your ma training togain them.

I have tried Furey's program (only the beginning stages, although I did have the entire program), and I have talked with friends who were doing Scrapper's class. It sounded very similar, but I could be mistaken.

R69's advice is great. the only thing I would add, if you're having problems with the chin-ups, is rows. To do bodyweight rows, hang from a bar suspended low enough to look like an upside-down push up.

`~/

Posted On:
    1/05/2005 1:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ojgsxr6, try this for pullups. Everyday, do your max # of pullups, spread throughout the day. DO NOT go to failure. For example, if you can do 2 pullups and fail on the 3rd, try doing 2 pullups every 2 hours or so (I know, incovenient as hell...and coworkers tend to think you're a bit weird). Or play around with it, but basically try to do you max reps but spread the sets out over the course of a day. Do this every day. Give yourself 5 weeks then retest your pullup max. Just my thoughts (but not my idea), FWIW.
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast