Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 4:53pm

Style: non

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I blame parents, kids, society, school, government and McDonalds.

--------
    What would happen if a one hand clapper attempted to stop a tree falling in the woods when no one else was around?
    --------
    Yes burger king and anaracy are the way to go!

"A California man has been taken to court for stalking Anna Nicole Smith. The man has been charged with invasion of privacy, illegal trespassing, and having really bad taste."-Conan

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 5:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont agree with the belt testing thing. That doesn't make it a mcdojo, and I'm not just saying that cuz my school has belt testing fees :)
    In most schools, you don't HAVE to test, you can spend years there and never test. This is only a prob if you're speeding your way to blackbelt, cuz then all the fees hit you really fast. If you take your time going through the ranks, the fees don't come on that fast. And in the end, belt fees dont really change the quality of the instruction, which SHOULD be the main qualifier for any Mcdojo. Charging a million dollars doesn't make it a mcdojo if the instruction is the best around. It just means most ppl wont train there :)

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"
    -Ghandi

Posted On:
    2/13/2003 9:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sakurabafan is correct.
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2003 11:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MATZ, and your not a TROLL? There is no POINT, your a MEATHEAD, plain and simple....DEAD from the neck UP!

Fig Newtons are fruit and cake, suckah.

Posted On:
    2/13/2003 12:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Buffalo Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right... honestly, every time this discussion board starts to get good some guy has to go around and start calling people names like a 12 year old.

"But some apes they gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Ape shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2003 1:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thats why its the internet matzah. Wouldn't you just be disapointed other wise? Now onto the topic. I feel that there are quite a few contributing factors to the Mcdojo phenomenon.
    I will list them as I see them, which means no particular order.

1. Lack of deatial on the techniques. (i.e. This is done this way because it works best 9 out of 10 times that way.)
    2. Outragious belt testing fees. self explanitory.
    3. lack of ability of the instructors.
    4. Uniformes that resemble patchwork quilts.
    5. claimes to make you an unbeatable super sayin level 2,000 fighter.
    6. mixing religion with combat. (may the force be with you.)
    7. lack of trying on the students part.
    8. minivan moms who threatan to sue your school becaus her little timmy came home with a bloody nose after karate practice.
    Etc. etc. blah blah. I could go on for days with this.

the world you live in is just a sugar coated toping. beneath it is another world. The real world. and to survive there you must learn to pull the trigger!!!-Blade

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2003 10:58am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jing shen gou - i don't agree with #6 (mixing religion with combat) because schools like Wado-Ryu and Kyokushin have a basic philosophy of peace, self betterment and meditation. Though not traditional religion, they do have a spiritual element. And Shorinji Kenpo is a religion, their top people wear robes and hang at a temple, not a dojo. And these systems are not Mcdojos.

>>>Always walk on a bright, wide road. If you choose to live with your right posture, you don't have to go on a dark road or a malodorous place. Oyama
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2003 7:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say this because of orginizations like yellow bamboo. I didn't mean to offend you pat. Its just that they give the connection a bad name.

the world you live in is just a sugar coated toping. beneath it is another world. The real world. and to survive there you must learn to pull the trigger!!!-Blade

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2003 10:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If someone is sliding by on less than adiquate{SP} skill and doesn't know any better, then its the instructors fault for letting it happen. They should be the one enforcing the standards equally and strengently. If the person is sliding by and knows better, then they and the instructor are both at fault. Your only fooling youself if you think that just getting by is enough.

Belt fees are a part of business in most places and only really become a problem if the stystem/instructor break the belts down into such small catigories that you can promote every other week. A skilled fighter should be paid for training others. Their skill is no different than that of a professional with a degree. They, either fighter or computer tech say, worked hard to gain their knowledge and deserve to be compensated for what each does in passing or making use of skill and ability.

My best friend and training partner developed the "ten year plan". From the time of its inception we had ten years to get our training the way we wanted it, rounded out, refined and well tested in both technique and philosophy, before opening our own dojo. It would be traditional in background, with the same approaches we had in that respect. No one buys a belt, training is hard, requires fighting, conditioning is tough and if you don't like it you leave. We figured we might never turn enough profit to quit our real jobs, but if we did, we sink the money right back into better gear and equipment. Then the man goes and gets into it with his wife and joins the Army just before 9/11. With his wife still with him now, a few laughs at basic trainings unarmed drills and a solid hope that they don't make the fool a combat medic{man's a LPN before going in} in some dust covered country, I think the dream of our school is hurting if I don't change jobs so I can get it open in a few years. Man wants to stay in now it seems like. He gets to work out all the time, tangles with former RoK officers at the gym and gets paid for it. Ok, tangental enough for now. Have mercy on a first post.

Kail

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2003 11:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent post, SakurabaFan.

As for giving someone a belt who doesn't deserve one, that's sort of like promoting a kid all the way through high school when he can't read or add 2+2. I would not call EITHER school a good school. They both McInstitutions.

Rashomon
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123