Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 7:32pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Getting the booze under control

So I'm sitting here in front of the comp at 1 a.m., sipping my third gin and tonic for the evening, and I think I might have a slight drinking problem. This is what I did this week:

Monday: Watched old Soprano episodes with a couple of old friends. Had four glasses of red wine during three episodes. Felt no effects at all (I weigh 80 kilos, which I think is about 170 lbs).

Wednsday: Helped a friend run some errands during the day. Around six I suggest we go over to my place and have som gin and tonics. We each have four pretty strong ones. I feel no effect. At ten we go to a bar, and have five beers each. I got slightly tipsy.

New Years Eve: Promise myself to NOT drink too much, because I have to study the next day. End result: around six gin and tonics, and at least a bottle and a half of red wine, plus assorted drinks given to me during the evening by the hosts. I became pretty drunk, but not too bad, but was pretty much knocked out the entire next day due to lack of sleep and a hang over.

The above was slightly worse than a normal week, but not by too much. I can't remember when I last made it a whole week without drinking myself to at least some level of intoxication. I regularly drink by myself, and I've also realized that I only have one friend whom I don't almost always drink with while hanging out. I can also easliy outdrink everyone I know, regardless of their size.

Right now, I don't think my drinking is not having too much of a negative side effect on my life (I'm a fairly well performing student at my university, and I get up to BJJ-class every saturday at eleven regardless of what I did the previous evening), but from what I hear people telling me it might only be a matter of time. It seems I find myself drinking on many nights where I had no intention to.

So what I'm looking for is advice on how to moderate my drinking from people who either quit completely or at least got their consumption under control. I've tried checking out different web sites on the issue, but they aren't really helping.
    I will never stop drinking, I know that. I just love alcoholic beverages and cocktails too much, but at least I could get that **** under a little bit more control.
    Last edited by PoleFighter; 1/02/2005 7:35pm at .
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 8:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoleFighter
    So what I'm looking for is advice on how to moderate my drinking from people who either quit completely or at least got their consumption under control. I've tried checking out different web sites on the issue, but they aren't really helping. I will never stop drinking, I know that. I just love alcoholic beverages and cocktails too much, but at least I could get that **** under a little bit more control.
    I hear where you're coming from, and yes it does sound like you have a problem. What I did to moderate mine was to do what you just did (monitor how much I drank a certain week), then attempt to take it out slowly but surely. So if you had four drinks this one particular night, the next week, try having only three. If a week seems too short, do it every couple weeks and slowly wean yourself off of them. I used to drink at least 2-3 bourbons a night (always on the rocks, but now I use Coke) but now I'm to the point where even though I enjoy drinking immensely, the most I drink in an average week is a Guiness or two.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 8:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's an idea. Just stop. Spend your money on something else.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 8:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, that's a big help. :D You should write a book:

How to Stop Drinking in One Easy Step!

(Pg. 1)
    Congratulations on your decision to stop drinking. You will never regret it. Now that you have made this momentous decision, read on to find out how to make it happen and make your dreams a reality!

(Pg. 2)
    In order to stop drinking, you must stop drinking. So stop drinking.

(Pg. 3)
    Also, if you have time, make your dreams a reality.

(Pg. 4)
    Congratulations! You have now quit drinking! Don't you feel better? Of course you do!
    Now that you've quit drinking, don't forget to check out the next two books in this series, How to Make Turtle Soup in Two Easy Steps and Salting the Tail: How to Catch That Rabbit TODAY!.

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 8:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoleFighter
    So I'm sitting here in front of the comp at 1 a.m., sipping my third gin and tonic for the evening, and I think I might have a slight drinking problem. This is what I did this week:

Monday: Watched old Soprano episodes with a couple of old friends. Had four glasses of red wine during three episodes. Felt no effects at all (I weigh 80 kilos, which I think is about 170 lbs).

Wednsday: Helped a friend run some errands during the day. Around six I suggest we go over to my place and have som gin and tonics. We each have four pretty strong ones. I feel no effect. At ten we go to a bar, and have five beers each. I got slightly tipsy.

New Years Eve: Promise myself to NOT drink too much, because I have to study the next day. End result: around six gin and tonics, and at least a bottle and a half of red wine, plus assorted drinks given to me during the evening by the hosts. I became pretty drunk, but not too bad, but was pretty much knocked out the entire next day due to lack of sleep and a hang over.

The above was slightly worse than a normal week, but not by too much. I can't remember when I last made it a whole week without drinking myself to at least some level of intoxication. I regularly drink by myself, and I've also realized that I only have one friend whom I don't almost always drink with while hanging out. I can also easliy outdrink everyone I know, regardless of their size.

Right now, I don't think my drinking is not having too much of a negative side effect on my life (I'm a fairly well performing student at my university, and I get up to BJJ-class every saturday at eleven regardless of what I did the previous evening), but from what I hear people telling me it might only be a matter of time. It seems I find myself drinking on many nights where I had no intention to.

So what I'm looking for is advice on how to moderate my drinking from people who either quit completely or at least got their consumption under control. I've tried checking out different web sites on the issue, but they aren't really helping.
    I will never stop drinking, I know that. I just love alcoholic beverages and cocktails too much, but at least I could get that **** under a little bit more control.
    Don't get too concerned yet. The fact that you are already recognizing the potential problem is a huge step in the right direction. Also recognize that part of the problem is that you are at University...and "situational alchoholism" is not all that rare.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 10:14pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're at a university, your school should have a free or near-free clinic to get treatment for alcohol overuse. Just be honest with them and go in with a desire to change, and they will help you.

Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 11:00pm

supporting member
     Style: American Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to have a major alcohol problem. It wasn't that I drank every night but when I did drink I drank a lot. What I did to stop was to devote my free time to something else. I don't know what your situation is like but would it be possible for you to devote a lot more time to training. The way it works for me is I know if I drink it will hurt what I am trying to accomplish and that is enough for me. It might be enough to at least get you to slow down.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 11:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Firearms, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a bunch of sorry-assed bullshit this is. You fucking quitters are letting me down. :laughing7 :laughing7 :laughing7

Being serious for a minute, yeah I definitly hear you on the toning down part. I need to do some of that myself, but I just like whiskey and thunderbird way too much. After a recent incident I quit drinking Bacardi 151 totally. I used to drink that **** straight out of the bottle but for some reason when I only drink Bacardi 151, my personality changes very quickly and I become downright fucking mean(Yes, meaner than I am sober). I'll just stick to whiskey and thinderbord from now on.
    "We spoke to them in the only language they understood: the machine gun"

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 11:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For all you Thunderbird drinkers:

"What's the word? / Thunderbird / How's it sold? / Good and cold / What's the jive? / Bird's alive / What's the price? / Thirty twice."

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 11:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And my other favorite, Johnnie Walker Blue Label.

[

At 200 bucks a bottle, GODDAMN THAT ****'S SMOOTH!
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast