Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/01/2005 11:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Budd, that's a bad idea. It just increases your chances for arthritis. I used to do shockups, punch bags of rocks, and use a rolling pin on my shins and forearms. More hassle than it was worth. As for your wrists Hannibal, if you have soreness in your wrists from pushups, or pain from the pressure of your bodyweight, then you need to do some forearm and wrist exercises to build up the tendon strength. Use weights. Work every range of motion with heavy weight. In 1-3 months you'll notice a much improved grip, strength and stability when handling heavy weight, or whatever you're doing. Also you'll hit alot harder. Striking is primarily a forearm, tricep and shoulder action. Build those and the tendons around them and you'll see alot better improvements than if you were to do puhsups or pushups with the grip bars. BWE's are for women.

Posted On:
    1/01/2005 11:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those bars are for relieving the pressure on your wrists if they're very weak, or if you're just a sissy girl. :happy5:

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 12:07am

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi
    BWE's are for women.
    www.trainforstrength.com <----------- I dare you do say that to this guy's face. :-)
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 12:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Find him for me and I will. There comes a time when Pullups, pushups, squat thrusts, whatever give you diminishing returns in building peak strength. I can support my own body weight just fine in every bwe exercise. They serve no purpose in building strength beyond that. Why should I train to do 400 pushups, squat thrusts, situps or pullups? I'd rather bench 400, deadlift 600, and squat 600.

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 12:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm told that traditional weight training gives you great strength for a short amount of time, whereas massive BWE stuff gives you crazy muscle endurance so you can go for longer. The weight lifter's peak strength may be higher, but overall someone with a lot of muscular endurance from BWE is going to be able to hold his peak for a longer amount of time.

In BWE's defence, "Fish," the guy who started that thing, is INSANELY fit by all accounts, and his workouts will wipe you out (at least they wipe me out).

It's just a different way to train. I was joking with the "tell that to this guy's face" thing, sorry if I came off as confrontational.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 12:49am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can do weighted pullups, you know. That, and the "big three" power exercises don't work your upper back the way a good set of pullups do. I like to do as many as I can with one grip until I can't get my chin to the bar, then switch grips and repeat. When I was still in the gym regularly (damn programming) I noticed a marked increase in grip strength and my back was in great shape.

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 12:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No worries, I didn't take it that way. Don't worry about offending me. It's impossible unless someone's really really stupid.

Well, your partially right on the weight training. However, weight training does the same as BWE, it depends on your particular program. You can lift for endurance. Pushups and Benchpresses if you think about it's the same exercise. Now I can do pushups until my arms give out, which isn't necessarily going to build up my muscular endurance if I do them until I puke. (overtraining=bad.) The same goes for the benchpress. The benchpress will make the supporting muscles stronger and add to the endurance of muscle groups associated with the exercise. Now If I'm stronger than my bodyweight, it would behove me to use a higher weight for my endurance exercises. That way I can do 8 sets of 20, or whatever I'm doing, than having to do 15 sets of 20 at my own body weight. It's efficiency. Also stablizers are worked by the using a freeweight, versus doing a pushup in which the ground doesn't move. (Exercise ball can help this a bit.) You can get endurance both ways, One's just easier and can add to your strength. The bit about peak strength not lasting as long as BWE endurance doesn't make any sense. If you stop lifting or exercising in either aspect, your strength and endurance will diminish. Make sense?

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 1:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you mean big three, Shuma? I'm guessing Squat, Bench and DL? You can do Rows, etc to work your latissimus. DL also does work your entire back. Grip strength can be worked on independently with weights and should. I can walk on my hands easily, but I'd rather be able to hit harder and support more weight so I work on that grip strength from forearm and wrist exercises.

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 1:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the other idea of BWE training (at least this guy's flavor of them) is that you can circuit train easier. I like them too, because when I torture our karate club by actually making them sweat (oh noes!) it's easier to keep them all moving in a group BWE session than sending them all to the weight room.

But yeah, I see what you're saying. I've been meaning to start actually lifting weights again (for reasons other than MA, I currently look like this http://tinypic.com/15ewi9 ), I just haven't been able to get around to it lately.

EDIT: BTW, only the skinny arms are a byproduct of only doing pushups and stuff, the goofy hair and confused expression are from sleep deprivation.
    Last edited by IzzyDaHedgehog; 1/02/2005 1:10am at .
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 1:10am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I never knew deadlifts did the upper back to a noticeable degree. I always feel it far more in my quads, forearms and lower back. The pullup is also a very important range of motion if you have to, say, pull yourself over an obstacle or scale a wall.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast