Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/31/2004 5:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kungflujitsufliptric.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Holding a kick in mid air

I know that it has nothing to do with fighting technique, but how do Martial artists train to hold their feet high up in the air. I've tried and can barely get it past waist level. What kind of exercises do these people do?

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    12/31/2004 5:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FormLess
    I know that it has nothing to do with fighting technique, but how do Martial artists train to hold their feet high up in the air. I've tried and can barely get it past waist level. What kind of exercises do these people do?
    Hmmm.... I would suspect that they train to hold their feet high in the air by holding their feet high up in the air, no? :eusa_eh:
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Posted On:
    12/31/2004 5:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would also suspect they practice. I could be wrong.

Posted On:
    12/31/2004 5:39pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No....this thread did not make me cheery.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

No longer a Kaju-Critic

Posted On:
    12/31/2004 5:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Kajukenbo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    theres this guy at my school who is obsessed with the idea. He does it all the time, dont ask me why. he can hold it as long as he wants. I can go waist level for about 40 seconds, but thats it. it DOES take practice to develop those muscles, but for fighting prowess its not really that usefull. I kick just as hard as that guy, and alot faster.

To each their own. Maybe theres a use. Could help kicking endurance?

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    12/31/2004 8:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This has been discussed a few times, I tried to find it using the Search function but couldn't narrow it down.

Holding your leg out is a palor trick, albeit an impressive and athletic one. Holding your leg out is a display of your "static active" flexibility, static strength, and balance. It says nothing about your dynamic flexibility or strength. Good to be able to do if you are a gymnast, ballet dancer, or do XMA. Only useful to a fighter as a post fight victory pose.

In order to do this you need to learn how to relax the muscles being stretched and strengthen the muscles opposing them. One way to develope this is to SLOWLY raise and lower your leg to the side in one continuous motion. When this becomes easy and you can add resistance like ankle weights or rubber bands. Or you can practice sticking you leg out a lot and holding it.

BTW a lot of the information I just wrote came out of "Strecthing Scientifically: A Guide to Flexibility Training" by Thomas Kurz, pretty much word for word.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/31/2004 8:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This reminds me of a personal trainer at my gym, one who is constantly trying to recruit me as a client. She once told me that she could develop a MA-specific workout program for me, one that would help me develop the mucles to throw a punch and then stop it in mid-air, just inches away from my opponent's face. She said that having this kind of control would be impressive, that I could use it to "get my point across."

I politely declined. I told her that while it may seem less impressive, the follow through, into the face and out the back of your opponent's head, is always much more statisfying.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2004 9:04pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes I must agree with j4

nothing gets your point across better than a broken jaw. I mean... they can't argue back if they wanted to...