Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 10:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I admit with all the guys above, your time was not wasted with Kempo, in fact it probably brought you alot closer to the true meaning of martial arts. I did TKD for 7 years odd, got a black belt, taught for 5 years, but I still got my ass kicked by kung fu guys. Was it a loss? I think if I never got my black belt, I would never fought those KF guys and I never knew what I was missing out on. Now I am doing sanda and still going. Had some experience with boxing, wrestling, Hung Gar and aikido before, 11 years of training, never regretted it.

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 10:59am

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All this positivity..This reminds me very much about those rape or child molestation victim support threads. Not like I have any experience with those *ahem*

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 11:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strat_Tones
    For five years or so I studied a "martial art" called Spontaneous Fighting Method. It was supposedly a blend of Kenpo, Aikido, and some Japanese weapons stuff (staff, sword, sticks, etc). My "sensei" had supposedly (well, he really was a 4th or 5th degree blackbelt in Kenpo under a pretty well respected Kenpo insctructor) studied all of these arts and blended them into his own style. Sound familiar to anyone?

We did a lot of things that arent' typically Bullshido: a lot of sparring, fighting, ect. The funny thing was that we had a very open policy about letting guys from other styles come in and spar. And we did pretty well against most of the people who came in the door (most of whom were probably also studying some form of Bullshido). We even did very well in point sparring tournaments (despite the fact that we didn't practice sparring for points). I know what you're thinking: "Oooh. Point sparring -- TEH ULTIMATE!
    This does not sound like complete Bullshido. Really.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 11:31am

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^ I agree. Sounds like you guys just never learned to grapple, and that's why you got owned. Like just about everybody who trains in a pure striking art.
    Last edited by PoleFighter; 1/02/2005 11:34am at .
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 11:46am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoleFighter
    ^^^ I agree. Sounds like you guys just never learned to grapple, and that's why you got owned. Like just about everybody who trains in a pure striking art.
    Ditto.... sounds like all you had to do was add grappling training on top of it, and you'd be set.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/02/2005 6:56pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And I'll add my vote to that too. I don't think you learned bullshido. Look at it this way, you're thinking about taking Muay Thai and I think a lot of Muay Thai fighters would've gone down in the same situation. If you don't train for it you can't fight it. Grapplers, specifically modern grapplers assume they're going to take on a striker so they train for it. We've had it work the other way too.

Our gym trains the strikers to fight grapplers and vice versa. We sometimes have pure grapplers come in who haven't trained against or for striking and get their heads handed to them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2005 10:45am

Style: Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    And I'll add my vote to that too. I don't think you learned bullshido. Look at it this way, you're thinking about taking Muay Thai and I think a lot of Muay Thai fighters would've gone down in the same situation. If you don't train for it you can't fight it. Grapplers, specifically modern grapplers assume they're going to take on a striker so they train for it. We've had it work the other way too.

Our gym trains the strikers to fight grapplers and vice versa. We sometimes have pure grapplers come in who haven't trained against or for striking and get their heads handed to them.

I certainly appreciate what you're saying, but trust me, it was Bullshido. If I could go back in time and video tape our sparring sessions you guys would have a tremendous laugh.

There was also lots of talk of chi, blindfolded katas, "aikido" techniques that I think my instructor made up, etc.

Also, I think a lot of the weapons stuff my instructor made up after watching Highlander. I wish I were joking, but I'm not.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/03/2005 2:23pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strat_Tones
    I just started training Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu about 6 months ago (and am hoping to add Muay Thai soon)
    This makes your comments on the Ralek thread all the more hilarious.

Hell, I'm fairly new to bjj but you've got all the symptoms of a born again.

Marasmos

Posted On:
    1/03/2005 2:57pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dochter: We all do. I was like that a while ago as well. Then I realized that I should, being a white belt, just shut the **** up. It's a stage that a lot of us go through.
    You say what about my rice?

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/03/2005 3:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know, I just thought it was funny.
    A noobier bjj noob than I was commenting on the general (and my) lack of appreciation of bjj strategy.

Nothing inherently wrong, just funny.

I think I was saved the stage because although with a few months of bjj I went and dismantled a mcdojo guy I soon had my ass kicked by a 'freestyle' ex-con profighter that has never had any rank anywhere. A major flaw in your training becomes apparent when you are getting creamed while you've got a guy in your guard.

More of my training mates need that experience too.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast