Spear Sister

Posted On:
    12/30/2004 11:05pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tips on tightening up an RNC?

Well guys...I was goofing off with someone last night who kept telling me that bjj didnt really work and he could get out of "that stuff" with pressure points and what have you.

So I obliged him with an RNC. Pulled pretty tight and he tried pressing that painful spot behind the ear...which hurt but i just cranked the choke tighter. So dude doesnt tap and just grabs my hair and starts pulling it...about this time he's turning color and i think his ego is preventing him from tapping so I let go and he goes into "Oh, see, there, I would have had you! I told you that stuff wouldnt work."

So I'm kind of like "uhr..ok" and tell him I let go because he looked like he was about to go out. So dude disagrees with me and is like "I bet you wont try that again"

Well I went ahead and got behind him and did it again, only this time I pulled us to the ground and wrapped my legs around him and cranked it pretty hard. So dude starts pulling my hair again and I just keep choking him as hard as I can and finally he starts thrashing and making me smack my head into a wall. (Which I must admit, sucked a fair bit) Finally after what seemed like forever he tapped out. (And of course offered an excuse...nasal congestion of all things...)

But yeh, I'm kind of disappointed in how long it took me to put him on the verge of out (dude was a pretty decent shade of purple when I let go.)

So I want to ask of the bullshido gods....In the future...how can I make my RNC meaner to choke this mo-fo (and future mo-fos) out faster?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2004 11:11pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Were you trying to touch your elbows together? And...

http://bjj.org/techniques/jen/tech8a/

Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    12/30/2004 11:28pm

supporting member
     Style: American Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you say you were "cranking it" were you pulling back or pushing his head forward?

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/30/2004 11:47pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I hear crank, I think of how I used to do it before being corrected.

Think of applying the RNC this way.

RNC that person like you would hug them. Hug them like you love them. RNC them close to you, breathe when you do it, RNC them like you missed them while they were gone.

RNC them like you would hug your favorite relative.

When I say RNC like hugging. Think of the way you hug, pulling your elbows together, pulling them in, and using your whole body. Don't put your head back, lean it closer to them.

Hug them like you love them.

If you do it right, the choke takes from 3 to 10 seconds on average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    12/31/2004 12:18am

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to try and sound like I know better than bjj.org, but I was taught to place the hand palm down on the back of their skull- monkey grip style. In judo I was corrected and informed that in order to comply witht he rules I had to have the back of my hand against the back of the opponent's head, but having had both applied to me and applying both, I defintly feel that putting the palm on the back of the skull makes it a lot easier to push the head forward and make the choke that much worse for the opponent.

But otherwise, yeah, stay good and tight on 'em, pull those elbows in, only thing i have to add is palm to the back/top of their skull and push it forward. You can help move that head forward by nuzzling your own in tight against it and the choke.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/31/2004 12:21am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I should add that I don't get all this closed fist stuff in the BJJ.org page, but that it explains the elbows movement and such well.

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    12/31/2004 12:23am

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The closed fist version was the one required for judo on account of the rules forbidding any manipulation of the neck bones (pushing the head forward). Granted it's still hard for a person to get out of, but I think it's a lot more secure to grip the back of the head than it is to place your fist on it.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    12/31/2004 12:28am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aesopian,

I started to try and get my elbows together a little tighter the second time around, i think it made the 2nd choke improved over the first for sure but I need to work on that motion I think.

JDC: I was pulling my forearm in against his throat (maybe thats the problem?) and pushing his head forward onto it with my palm while arching my hips into him to streatch him better.

Anthony: I think maybe pulling my head back from the pressure point thing might have gave him more room to "breathe" Maybe thats where the problem was. I'll try and put more "love" into my RNC in the future ;)

Dai Tenshi: Yeh I do the palm thing to. I didnt really understand the whole make a fist thing either so I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who was a little confused by that.

I'll try and choke him out again and report back to you guys to let you know how it went.

When his congestion clears....that is... ;)

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    12/31/2004 12:31am

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can, triangle your legs when you take his back. It won't help the RNC, but it'll make him generally more uncomfortable.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/31/2004 12:33am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bite his ear too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast