Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/29/2004 1:07pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training with jammed wrists

A few days ago I jammed my wrists. Careless mistakes with repercussions, wow that sure sucked. So a few days later now and I am anxious to train, but my wrists still hurt. I can't grapple, can't punch, can't workout upper body, and damn it all it hurts to play guitar.

Any advice on what to do in the mean time? I don't want to jump back into it like an idiot and end up worse than I was. I was thinking maybe just doing kicks, elbows, forearms and knees on the heavy bag, and some ab and lower body workouts.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    12/29/2004 1:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz
    A few days ago I jammed my wrists. Careless mistakes with repercussions, wow that sure sucked. So a few days later now and I am anxious to train, but my wrists still hurt. I can't grapple, can't punch, can't workout upper body, and damn it all it hurts to play guitar.

Any advice on what to do in the mean time? I don't want to jump back into it like an idiot and end up worse than I was. I was thinking maybe just doing kicks, elbows, forearms and knees on the heavy bag, and some ab and lower body workouts.
    I wouldn't do anything really for your arms as even the shock of hitting a bag with your elbows is probably going to add to the length of time needed to heal your wrists. Just take it easy and take a break for now, abwork and the like are fine but you don't want to do too much until you're all healed. Your body will thank you for it later on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2004 7:08pm

Style: none currently, ex-TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    I wouldn't do anything really for your arms as even the shock of hitting a bag with your elbows is probably going to add to the length of time needed to heal your wrists. Just take it easy and take a break for now, abwork and the like are fine but you don't want to do too much until you're all healed. Your body will thank you for it later on.
    Word. Kicking the bag is your new friend. And DON'T play guitar.

ˇViva los Muertos!

Posted On:
    12/29/2004 8:08pm

Style: Boxing/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on how badly your wrists are screwed. Now I'm no doctor so I don't really know what the **** I'm talking about here.

Try knuckle pushups: keeps your wrists straight up and down. Works for me. I screwed up my wrists in high school with powerlifting and had to do knuckle pushups if i wanted to work upper body at all. it was the only thing that didn't hurt.
    A lie gets half-way around the world before the truth has time to get it's pants on. - Winston Churchhill

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2004 11:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Avoid placing load on your wrists for a while, you need time to heal. Looks like you have a wonderful 2 week opportunity to work on your conditioning, core strength, legs and footwork.