Reading FD cause cancer

small hick city full with college students in Cali

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 3:37am

Style: Muay Thai and boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL I beat them all easily. JK

Here is what happened, I show up a hour early by accident. When I show up early, I was surprised by how warmly the instructor welcomed me which rarely happened to me. After talking for a bit, I start to spar with one of insturctor.

Sadly I have to play by their rule which mean no striking. So my plans was all messed up but I still give it a try. At first I lose badly because I was unprepared. By second, I managed to pull a few good moves off and was in control of match few time. However I end up lost again. It continue go on for like 10 min. I managed to get him in few good holds few time but he always get out of it and put me in a hold. I lose everythings, mostly to some type of chokes.

When other student come in, he was a bit bigger than me but not much bigger. Finally a fair match came up. We both were pretty good at take down and do equally well on ground fighting. Like as last match, I got choked out. We continue do this for 15 min.

Few min later more students came in. I was surprise by how nice all people are, they are very lay back, and open mind. Most people aren't even afaird to spar or talk with me at all and I like it. Normally in other dojo I would be ignored and left to practice everythings on my own. So I feel so welcomed in that dojo.

After a while this asian guy of my size came up and ask me to spar. I was confuse at first because he was on his knee but I quickly realized that we cannot stand up while sparring because there was too many people on the mat. That is where it goes worse for me because I reply a lot on my speed and legs for sparring. I still tried and I was surprise by the result. I did pretty good against that guy and closely got him in knee bar few time. It was more fun this time because he uses and tried many different holds to beat me.

After that, we just start do few warming up and excrises and follow the class. I just stand and watch for most of the time. That asian guy ask other guy to spar with me.

That guy was much heavier and wider than me but about same height. We spar on our knees again. This guy is REALLY tough! I have extremely hard time to find his weakness even thought he is SLOW as hell. I even got a choke on him many time and it don't seems to affect him at all. he always end up do same trick again and got me in choke. He beat me the whole way.

I was getting really tempting to ask if I can do stand up sparring and uses my strikes. I can clearly see that they has very little skills in that area. But I quickly remind myself that I am under their rule, so I should play by their rule. So I just do it.

At close end of the class, a really nice man came up and tried hard to talk with me. I really appericate that because people rarely try to talk with me. So we just tried to communication for a bit.

Next thing I know is we were sparring. I managed to beat him with a gullotiine choke almost immidately. By next match I didn't beat him as fast or easily as before but I got a choke on him and beat him once again. At the last match, we were worn out and keep clashing, tossing, and pushing eachother away. Finally he outsmarted me and got on top of my back and pin me down. After I was unable to get up for a while, he just laughed and got off me. I know I lost the last one.

Before everyone leave, few people came up to me and tell me that I did very well and good bye. The man that I spar with last even ask me what my name is.

Sadly, I don't thinks I will want to attend that school. It is really expensive plus I don't really like BJJ. I have no interest in rolling on ground and choking someone, so I decide I would be better off learning some other striking arts or Silat and Shoot wrestling. Also my size is half of almost everyone in that school which would seriously put me at huge disadvantage. I don't want to pay 135 a month just to train in something without any strikes and that would get my ass kick in the street.

But I respect everyone there very much, they all are really nice and respectful. Also they seems to really like to be around me and sparring with me much more than any other martial arts school I has been to.

Hope you enjoy this post.

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 7:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote: "I decide I would be better off learning some other striking arts or Silat and Shoot wrestling."

Shoot wrestling is the same thing only training in more striking and not using the Gi. If cost was not a concern, I would say that having access to this BJJ school is quite a blessing.

Quote: "It is really expensive plus I don't really like BJJ."

Yeah, it really sucks to find a school where all the techniques work well, the people are open minded and friendly, and the instructors are not on a Chi-powered ego trip. I can truly see why you don't like BJJ.

Quote: "I don't want to pay 135 a month just to train in something without any strikes and that would get my ass kick in the street."

As opposed to training something WITH strikes that will get your ass kicked in the street?

C'mon man. You found an excellent school that was a lot of fun to be at with world-renowned instructors. Compared to other BJJ schools, 135$ is not too bad. Do yourself a favor; get over your prejudices against Brazilian Jujitsu and start training if you can afford it.

A.K.A MEAT

Edited by - Mr. Donkeypenis on February 12 2003 06:26:14

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 7:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish i could train there Myself. If u have access in that school just GO. The inviroment in most BJJ schools (if not all) is like the one u described. In some BJJ schools they have Vale Tudo Classes with strikes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 9:24am

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you notice on the webpage they list Vale Tudo, Mauy Thai and boxing in their curriculum? They probably wouldn't fight you with striking because of liability issues. If the $135/month includes training in all these styles then that is definately worth the money. Just curious, are you from a foriegn country? You mentioned that you have trouble communicating with people. A good way to meet new people is to train with them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 10:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man some of you guys ... How about respecting that he didn't like BJJ? Instead you tell him to get over your prejudices?! and train it anyway???

Jesus.

Respect for going!

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 10:45am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah -- It's cool he did it. And if he doesn't want to do BJJ, that's cool. I would like to know why you don't like it though?

(board breaks with a kick)
    "Is that it? I feel like I should bow, or have honor or something."
    -- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Once More, With Feeling"
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 10:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote: "How about respecting that he didn't like BJJ? "

He just said that he had a great time!! I'm just wondering what the Hell the problem is!!!

A.K.A MEAT

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 11:18am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His problems:

1- Cost
    2- No striking
    2a-To combine striking into the cirriculum would cost even more
    3- He prefers striking and feels that his size is a liability for strictly grappling.

Not predjudice, just likes striking more.

**Oh my god! I don't wanna go to THE STREET mommy! All the mean crazy psycho ninjas pick on me and take my lunch money.**

Titan

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 11:18am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like the instuctor was taking it easy.

----------------------------------------------------------
    The story of a woman on the morning of a war,
    Remind me if you will exactly what we're fighting for.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast