Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    12/28/2004 10:09am

Style: fumoffu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    Only barely. My knowledge of Xing Yi may not be much better than yours. It's pretty periferal. I can spot most of the classic 5 fists although I am pretty sketchy on what heng quan is supposed to look like.
    Same here,that's one reason i am posting~~~
    I didn't notice the first time through how light he is. I wasn't bothered by the "dancing" at the beggining. There's no reason why ANY style should make you plant your self when you are looking for your shot. But when I keep watching it I can see even when he hits he's still pretty light. Ironic, because that was maybe my favorite. I like the way he drilled up the middle. He also played the angle well "taking space". Look at how he steps in between the other guys legs. I think that's part of how he rocks the guy so well with a lead hand punch. That clip, according to the banner in back, is from a "karate tournament".
    IMO,Taiwanese tournament seems to be more open to other style,so dont be baffled by the banner~~~
    And guess his height and weight?176cm,80 kg~~~

The first clip looked pretty solid. Again, I don't know from specific techniqes but look at his footwork. ...not boxing style. The best part of that clip is the way he's connected through the waist.
    And not to forget his pounding sound~~~ :blob8:
    Actually there a a vid of him punching bag,but unfortunately i lost it.........however the way he punches is DEFINITELY no boxing style(from my MT and Sanda training) and more like beng quan~~~
    I actually got more out of the 2nd clip than the 3rd. The 3rd....just brawling really. Some good punching but nothing worth commenting on. But the second clip, again, look at the only thing you can see clearly in that one, his feet. I thought he was driving through well and that you could see some of his training showing through in his foorwork.
    That is really cool,but still like 1st one best~~~
    Since u r interested and can read Chinese,you might want to visit this website:
    www.tfkc.com

Simply select "fighter's profile" and click on the 3rd thumbnail from the right,that's Kyle's profile~~~

Hopefully someone who really trains Xing Yi will comment later. I'm just pointing out stuff I liked like the way he keeps that slight forward curve in the back and connects his feet to his punches.
    I am easgerly waiting for Jen's point of view,since he is also xingyi guy and uses it in sanda style~~~
    Where's him btw? He seems to have disappeared~~~
    "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
    - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    12/28/2004 10:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    The first clip looked pretty solid. Again, I don't know from specific techniqes but look at his footwork. ...not boxing style. The best part of that clip is the way he's connected through the waist.

I actually got more out of the 2nd clip than the 3rd. The 3rd....just brawling really. Some good punching but nothing worth commenting on. But the second clip, again, look at the only thing you can see clearly in that one, his feet. I thought he was driving through well and that you could see some of his training showing through in his foorwork.
    Actually, you're quite right about the first clip. Now that I think about it, he's shuffling up back foot first, which is frowned upon in boxing.

Not sure about the second clip. As you said, probably a good idea to get some xingyi people to comment.

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    12/28/2004 10:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feedback
    download is 1.2 k/s for me... any hosters?
    Sorry,but that's the best i can find...........
    "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    12/28/2004 10:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeddy
    Actually, you're quite right about the first clip. Now that I think about it, he's shuffling up back foot first, which is frowned upon in boxing.
    Shuffling up back foot first is the signatur footwork of xingyi quan~~~

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    12/28/2004 10:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was my impression of back foot or almost like both feet at once?

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    12/28/2004 10:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dunno.........

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2004 2:23pm

Style: non-aliveness BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the dragging back foot is called the "1/2 step". this is what Guo You Shen was famous for. supposedly, he practiced this variation of the footwork when he was jailed.

you can see the difference in the following scenarios:

a) left leg lead....spring forward and punch with right

b) left leg lead....spring forward and punch with left. when you land with your left..."drag" your right leg forward and punch with your right.

try hitting someone with one of your legs in the air and driving through with your whole body versus having both feet planted on the ground. if you are "rooted"...what are you hitting your opponent with?

heng = crossing? if this is what i am thinking it is....it's good for the solar plexus/sternum/throat area :P nice to use in conjunction with a jab/beng, ie...i beng to opponent's face with left hand....opponent counters with his left with a little too much forward and side energy (and open up his center)....i will then heng with my right (actual movement = my left hand round at the wrist and lift upward and pull back while my right crosses underneath to hit my opponent). you can also use it in a defensive manner as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2004 2:28pm

Style: XingYiQuan/BaguaZhang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Footwork in Xingyi is supposed to be like a chicken skipping from one leg to another. This is the basis of Xing Yi and 8 step praying mantis (because it takes Xing Yi footwork and bagua twisting i think, im not sure...) but anyways, those clips are brutal and im very proud of that guy if he's a Tang Shou Dao school practitioner thats because our school here in israel is called: Yizong Tang Shou Dao. :) Yeah, that means that Hong Yi Xiang and Zhun Zhunfeng are the lineages of the school :) FEAR XING YI!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2004 3:20pm

Style: TMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks whoever hosted these. Can't read Chinese and yesterdays romp in kanjiland hurt my head.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2004 7:15pm

Style: Alien Cosmic Chi Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    None of those look like Xingyi, except for the last clip which looks like he uses forward momentum to get his opponent, but he has no balance like in xingyi.

First of all usually the legs compress as the BACK leg presses forward and the lead leg simply, well leads. But the lead leg is the one that absorbs the energy, hence the stomp, stop, goes all the way to the hips to the tips of your knuckles ALL AT ONCE. Counter, Stepping forward, and attacking all at once. Also Xingyi is practiced so that you can cover Large distances QUICKLY and not loose your balance as you are shifting back at all times. The back leg moves up as the lead leg makes contact with ground for rooting and balance. There IS rooting Xingyi, or any other chinese martial art that specializes in footwork, like Bagua's footwork is very quick but they are ALWAYS rooted. Xingyi's too because you are not HOPPING or jumping forward, it is much subtle and is called spring energy. That is why you can attack your opponent suddenly and explosively without him being able to react. Also Xingyi with gloves = :confused5 :icon_roll
    Xingyi is much too powerful to be used in a ring, even with gloves. Although using gloves defeats the purpose of it.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast