Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 9:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this was covered before, but what is the difference between the roundhouse in MT and TKD? Just the way the kick is chambered?

Reading FD cause cancer

small hick city full with college students in Cali

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 12:22pm

Style: Muay Thai and boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai turn whole body and use their shin to hit when doing roundhouse. TKD use ball of their feet and don't turn whole body like as Muay Thai do. That is why Muay Thai have one of the most destuctive kick in whole martial arts.

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 12:25pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or is that why TKD sucks? j/k

--

There are only three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 1:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (Wasn't there some argument over this a while ago?)

Fatality Dragon:

I know it's your opinion and all, but you have to understand that a round kick, no matter if the kicker turns their entire body, is mostly dependent upon the velocity of the strike and striking at the outer edge of the rotation. The leg has very little mass.

In contrast, a linear strike often has less velocity, but has the mass of the person behind it. So, a linear strike can actually have more force that a circular strike.

The most powerful strikes are not purely linear or rotative. They are elliptical. Thus you have both the velocity from rotation and the mass of the striker behind the blow.

What makes MT kicks so successful is that the shin, especially when conditioned, provides a very hard striking surface. However, the heel of your foot is even harder and tougher. The toe of a boot or hard shoe, especially a steel-toe, is also a better striking surface. Don't let popularity override good sense.

Reading FD cause cancer

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 1:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes I like to use my heel too, but the problem is it is somewhat slow and have to be very accurate at same time. Also I don't practice kicks with my toe at all because I won't always be wearing hard shoes or something. So I like to practice with as little clothes as possible so I don't get too use to bad habit.

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 1:44pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ah, actually the tkd kicks with the instep. Also there are about 5 ways to throw the Muay Thai roundhouse kick.

1. Mountain Peak: come up bent knee extend at apex and come down a 30 degree angle.

2. Baseball bat: Leg remains nearly straight and travels parallel to the ground

3. Cut kick: used to go on the inside of the leg and hits a a 30 degree upward angle.

4. Retractor(yes I made up these names), thrown like the round kick with the intent to retract it like a karate or tkd round house

5. Short thai: throw with the front leg without any retraction.

As for TKD it depends upon traditional, contemporary, and intent. They have many variations of this kick including 3 of the ones above.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 1:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fatality:

Yes, kicking with your toe while wearing something like sandals or slippers could put a damper on your parade. :D

As for kicks using the heel being slow.... Huh? Also, strike your target from an angle to improve the probability of a successful hit. Improving accuracy is something that you should be working on, anyways.

Reading FD cause cancer

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 3:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once one of my friend was trying to attack me from behind and I saw that he was wearing sandal and I just stomp on it. It was the best move I ever did because it end so FAST and he never ever tried anything again after his toenail turn black lol.

Kick with heel is slow to me, I almost always see it coming and dodge it without any difficult. So I just use as a surprise attack after doing something that isn't kicking for a bit then out of no where deliver a heel kick. Work great while the opponent is less likely to see it coming.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FD

Do you mean a spinning back heel kick?

If so yes that would be a lot slower.

I also am not sure how a round kick would utilize a heel though. Wouldn't this require a great deal (aka obscene amount) of achillies flexibility?

**Oh my god! I don't wanna go to THE STREET mommy! All the mean crazy psycho ninjas pick on me and take my lunch money.**

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 6:59pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in terms of a front kick, it takes more stretching to do a heel kick then a ball of the foot kick, i'm sure you know that

next time someone tries a spinning kick on me they get it in the ass, my foot that is

--

There are only three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast