Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2003 11:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im still on my search for a good tae kwon do school on long island. so i went down to a school yesterday! it was a great workout but i sparred with one of the instructors and i could have killed him! he kept giving me his back and i was able to go around him forcing his back to me! also there was no head contact except with legs and no kicks below that stupid chest protecter. anyway after i left that school! (which i won't be going back to)i called another school in my area and im going to check them out tonight. i asked the instructor if the did alot of sparring and he said yes every class but no contact at all? whats that? have you guys heard of that? let me know what you gys think?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2003 11:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no shadow kicks sparring ?

"said and done"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2003 11:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he said we come within inches and pull our strikes i think thats pretty cheezy!

Posted On:
    2/11/2003 11:23am

Style: lame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm still bewildered as to why you would want to study TKDon't????? All they do is KICK, no fighting skills whatever. Even a good karate school would be better for you than TKD.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2003 11:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    because alot of my other skills are developed already i just wanted to improve my kicks thats all

Posted On:
    2/11/2003 11:33am

Style: lame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok, in that case I guess it's OK. Just a thought, isn't MT much better for kicking. God, I've seen those guys break shins when they connect.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2003 11:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes mt is awesome and i would love to do that! just nothing around at all! i have been checking! if anyone knows please let me know!

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/11/2003 1:54pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Find a TKD school where the instructor did kickboxing and that should remedy your search.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2003 3:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The majority of TKD schools aren't going to allow atacks to the back or below the waist. Most schools that practice point sparring will let you punch to the head but they ask you to pull your punches and the first "point" will end the action. If they do olympic sparring you can't punch to the head but you can still kick. You usually wear more gear in olympic and full force kicks are more acceptable. Plus you won't get seperated after the first point is scored so you can pressure your opponent. Neither offer the perfect mix. Goodluck in find a school you like.

Posted On:
    2/11/2003 4:02pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as I know, Modern TKD doesn't teach effective kicking for anything other than TKD competitions. The stance, the timing, and that annoying "hippity-hippity-hop-KICK!" thing they do will get you sodomized in a street fight.

Muay Thai, Kyokushin Karate, Americanized Kickboxing, or even Savate would likely work out for you much better than TKD.

In my opinion, TKD is a great foundation art, and it teaches awesome flexibility, athleticism, and coordination. But I wouldn't advise anyone to train in it past the age of 16 unless their goals are mainly to compete in TKD events.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast