Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/07/2007 7:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Knives,

I cannot argue with any of your assessments of Acadiana Karate. I can disagree with your assessment of Lafayette Karate and the instructor. I've known the instructor, Lane Nevils, for several years. I've NEVER heard him brag about competitions, and the only time any Japan tournaments came up was when he was talking about the traveling, not the competition.

There is a big damn difference between what a website posts, and what you claim someone told you that is different from published material. If you claim Lane Nevils is stating this stuff, give up the proof.

Jeff Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Knives
    McDojos flock to Lafayette, Louisiana like cancer to a prostate. Take a look at some of this ****.

http://www.acadianakarate.com

http://www.lafayettekarate.com

Acadiana Karate basically admits that their main goal is to make sure you get a blackbelt.

"Since Acadiana Karate is a "BLACK BELT SCHOOL, " our goal for every student is to help them earn their BLACK BELT...."

They have a "street self defense program" which is basically the same ol' "BEST OF EVERYTHING IN A ONE MONTH PROGRAM!!!" kindof thing. They even have a "little ninjas" program. HOW CUTE!!!!

Lafayette Karate is a smaller, less advertised dojo with an instructor who claims alot more in person than on the web. He says on his website that he was in "all Japan Kumite". In person, HE COMPETED IN THE KUMITE. He says he has studied "nearly everything" and that no style is really that different, and insists that BJJ is ineffective because of biting and scratching on the street.

I don't think I've found a serious place here yet. This sucks.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    5/07/2007 11:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With regards to:
    http://www.lafayettekarate.com/

judging by the class hours he posted on his website:
    :: CLASS TIMES ::
    Mon, Wed 6-7 pm 7-8 pm
    Fri, 5:30 - 6:30 pm
    Sat 11:30 - 12:30
    :: ::

it looks like the guy probably has a full-time job which is why that studio is smaller and, well I would assume he teaches because he likes it and not as his sole income, hence why his site looks less like a really bad used car website. My eyes are just now healing from looking at that other god-awful site...complete with the creepy autoplay sound clips. I click on one link and next thing I know I'm hearing voices!

Why don't you try calling the guy and setting an appointment to sit and talk with him about your concerns, that way he knows your serious and you show you respect his time.

jefmlrjudo: any chance of Knives getting a demo class or a sit-down with Mr. Nevils?

Posted On:
    5/08/2007 7:34am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure that he would. Lane's been teaching Karate at least 15 years, and he has been in that location for the past 5 years. He also did a year or two of Judo and, like most of us, has probably dabbled in multiple styles.

Moreover, I've always known him to be a good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarks
    With regards to:
    http://www.lafayettekarate.com/

Why don't you try calling the guy and setting an appointment to sit and talk with him about your concerns, that way he knows your serious and you show you respect his time.

jefmlrjudo: any chance of Knives getting a demo class or a sit-down with Mr. Nevils?

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    5/08/2007 9:10am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then why don't you talk to your sensei, let him know Knives' concerns and work out an invitation for a session or two for Knives, as your guest or Lane's guest and have the members of your studio prove to him that it's a good place to train.
    Simple enough.

Posted On:
    5/08/2007 9:15am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I run my own club (which is Judo, not Shotokan), and Knives is free to contact me via this site or via e-mail. He (or she - not really specific) is welcome to come by and try a class at my Dojo. Lane also has all of his times and numbers posted.

More importantly, I think Knives needs to figure out what the heck he is looking for in training. Heck, if he can tell me that I can probably point him in the right direction in this area.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarks
    Then why don't you talk to your sensei, let him know Knives' concerns and work out an invitation for a session or two for Knives, as your guest or Lane's guest and have the members of your studio prove to him that it's a good place to train.
    Simple enough.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    5/08/2007 9:24am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lane Nevilles is an exceptional Karateka and has traveled the world competing. He is without a doubt the best karateka in the state if not the southern region. If it was Lane that said those things I am sure it was out of jest. He was decent at Judo also and still stops in from time to time. He is hard to take down, strong as an ox and hits like a frieght train. Don't take my word for it though go train with them for awhile I am sure you will be impressed. They do real karate and Lane is a very serious instructor.

Do not lump him in with the ilk of Acadiana Karate. Yes he does have a regular job. Yes his dojo is small. Yes they do full contact sparring. There are at least 5 other places in Lafayette you could poke fun at hell I think 3 new ATA dojos just sprung up. (They breed like vermin).

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    5/08/2007 9:28am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesus Jef your raise a three year old thread and made me comment on it dam you.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/08/2007 9:29am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure you two talking about **** 2 1/2 years later isn't helping.

I'm pretty sure he has found what he wanted by now.
    He stopped posting over a year ago.

So, what did we learn today?

When searching the internet, about your style, stop, check the start and end date of a thread before getting your panties in a bunch.

Posted On:
    5/08/2007 10:08am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I wasn't part of this 2 1/2 years ago, and I know Lane well enough not to leave an attack on him unanswered, even if answered late.

Also, careful observation would indicate that this was not about style, but location.

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    I'm pretty sure you two talking about **** 2 1/2 years later isn't helping.

I'm pretty sure he has found what he wanted by now.
    He stopped posting over a year ago.

So, what did we learn today?

When searching the internet, about your style, stop, check the start and end date of a thread before getting your panties in a bunch.

Posted On:
    5/08/2007 10:10am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, its not my fault your inattentive.

Quote Originally Posted by jkartigue
    Jesus Jef your raise a three year old thread and made me comment on it dam you.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast