Page 1 of 3 123 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

replacement for pull ups?

ive been training with the mark hatmaker 'gladiator conditioning' dvd for a while, but i need a replacement for the pull up section, as i dont have access to a bar or approprite bit of ceiling to hang off. any ideas?

if it makes a difference, i'm interested in it for boxing rather than grappling..

any help would be really, really appreciated..

cheers all

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Military press.

If you don't have weights at your disposal, I've seen a one-armed, seated kettle bell military press, which you could use a bucket or something equivalent for.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    uuuuh .... no.
    the pull up is a "pulling" motion which includes (for example) the latissimus dorsi. military PRESS is not a pulling motion and does not include the aforementioned muscle (as much).

there is no real substitute for pull ups, iam sorry. really. no.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    didnt think there was. its a pretty unique action.

dammit....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bent over rows with either a dumbell or barbell, keep the knee(s) slightly bent ( or one leg on a bench for one armed rows.
    Deadlifts well work your WHOLE back, indeed, your whole body almost.

But if you can pull up, DO IT !!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just get one of those bars for 20$ that you put in a doorway. Worst case scenario is you have to bend your knees if you're too tall.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The pull-up's primary target are Lats. Muscles used to assist in the movement are: Biceps, Brachialis and Brachioradials, Teres, Rhomboids, and Traps (a few others too). Exercises that hit this group of muslces are pull-up/chin-ups and they're derivatizes. You can also use various "pull down" motions on gym equipment.

Another way to hit the lats is in a compound motion addressing a large portion of the back such as rows. Bent-over rows accomplish this with free weights. You can use a barbell or bumb bells.

Like Omar said, spend $20 bucks a get a doorway bar. It's one of the high return on investment pieces of hardware yo can find.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to improve quickly with the pull-ups, hit a rock climbing gym and start bouldering and climbing routes. I found that I improved dramatically faster than with just doing pull-ups. And your grip will become freakishly strong as well too.

The downside, it takes away from MA training.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ummm...lat pulldowns on a cable machine? It's virtually identical, but without the balance/secondary muscle requirements.

I don't do many pull-ups, it's hard to find a good place for wide-grips. (Narrow/shoulder grip ones aren't as useful, too much bicep.)
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking... supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oni
    ive been training with the mark hatmaker 'gladiator conditioning' dvd for a while, but i need a replacement for the pull up section, as i dont have access to a bar or approprite bit of ceiling to hang off. any ideas?

if it makes a difference, i'm interested in it for boxing rather than grappling..

any help would be really, really appreciated..

cheers all
    Just get ghetto with it and use your door. Throw a towel over the top, prop it open against the wall as far as you can, and do your pullups there. Or find a tree outside somewhere you can grab onto and do them there. That's a good DVD btw, I own a copy myself. Nothing too new or extraordinary, but a good routine for functional strength.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last