Posted On:
    6/21/2005 11:34pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Countering the Counter to the Arm Drag

[Starting post irrelevant]
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 4/06/2006 12:49am at .

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 10:13am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They spin around to face you instinctively and square up.

KICK THEM IN THE JIMMY!

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 11:23am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking at what I have SEEN work, not what I can make work what I notice about the arm drag:

Marcello Garcia uses it effectively with jumping to half guard. This ability is based off blinding speed.

Wrestlers use the arm drag to get a better angle for leg attacks. I have seen some effective ankle picks after arm drags.

Judoka use the armdrag to get an angle on the back/belt grip. There are some amazing sacrifice throws if you can get this angle.

Dirty boxing will use the armdrag to 'pin' the arm between the opponents and set up a hook to the undefended side of the head.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 11:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Looking at what I have SEEN work, not what I can make work what I notice about the arm drag:

Marcello Garcia uses it effectively with jumping to half guard. This ability is based off blinding speed.

Wrestlers use the arm drag to get a better angle for leg attacks. I have seen some effective ankle picks after arm drags.

Judoka use the armdrag to get an angle on the back/belt grip. There are some amazing sacrifice throws if you can get this angle.

Dirty boxing will use the armdrag to 'pin' the arm between the opponents and set up a hook to the undefended side of the head.

Add to that using it to attack the blind side with strikes ala Kyokushin/Ashihara/Enshin karate.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 11:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So is taking the back something that I'm only going to be able to pull off on intermediate and lower players?

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 11:42am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    So is taking the back something that I'm only going to be able to pull off on intermediate and lower players?
    Depends on the set-up, right?

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 2:19pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Armdrag is my NUMBA WAN takedown setup (not that I am that great with takedowns, mind you). I am severely nearsighted so cold shots fail me. Using an armdrag, if succesful, I will clinch the waist and drop with tani otoshi. If instead they pull their arm back and suck their elbow to their chest, that gives me a small opportunity to single leg that side. Often it'll become a pickup single because i'm just that much of a *****.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 2:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ohhhh a very good observation about the kyokush/enshin/ashihara armdrag version!

This isn't technically an 'armdrag' IMHO, as it is an arm control. The fundamental principle of getting the angle, and closing your opponent off is indicative of the armdrag. But TO ME the idea behind the karate styles is circular force, where the grappling version is a linear entry.

Let me explain this further to those who may not understand. In the karate version you grab your opponents upper sleeve. My personal preference is just above the elbow. You would use your left hand on thier right arm for example. You pull DOWN, and AROUND in front of you and force the arm into them. Forcing them to take a big step, breaking thier posture, keeping thier now lead arm down and swing them into you. This creates massive striking opportunities while controlling your opponent. IMHO this is the fucking shiznit of all mack daddy modern karate techniques in terms of practical applicability.

In comparison with the grapplers version, they use a linear attack. They go almost straight in, then use another direct linear attack when they cut back in to get the leg. I don't see them going around thier opponent as much as into them, forcing thier opponent to turn thier back and then latching on.

Hmmmm. Maybe the karate and grappling versions aren't that different after all...and of course I am using large generalizations.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 3:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very interesting. I didn't know that karate guys did that, but it makes a lot of sense, in terms of setting up striking opportunities. Do "dirty" boxers approach this the same way (limitations of their gloves notwithstanding)?

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 3:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ohhhh a very good observation about the kyokush/enshin/ashihara armdrag version!

This isn't technically an 'armdrag' IMHO, as it is an arm control. The fundamental principle of getting the angle, and closing your opponent off is indicative of the armdrag. But TO ME the idea behind the karate styles is circular force, where the grappling version is a linear entry.

Let me explain this further to those who may not understand. In the karate version you grab your opponents upper sleeve. My personal preference is just above the elbow. You would use your left hand on thier right arm for example. You pull DOWN, and AROUND in front of you and force the arm into them. Forcing them to take a big step, breaking thier posture, keeping thier now lead arm down and swing them into you. This creates massive striking opportunities while controlling your opponent. IMHO this is the fucking shiznit of all mack daddy modern karate techniques in terms of practical applicability.

In comparison with the grapplers version, they use a linear attack. They go almost straight in, then use another direct linear attack when they cut back in to get the leg. I don't see them going around thier opponent as much as into them, forcing thier opponent to turn thier back and then latching on.

Hmmmm. Maybe the karate and grappling versions aren't that different after all...and of course I am using large generalizations.

You forgot the shoulder control, but other than that, spot on.
    Also, because of the possibilites for counter-strikes from the opponent, linear control in less desireable.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast