Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 2:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How is Gracie JJ taught?
    How does the average class go?
    Is there a sparring match at the end of each class?
    Do you practice a techninque on one partner and switch roles after a set number of reps?
    or do you do the same technique on everyone else, round robin style?
    And what are the warmup and practice drills like?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 7:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if my school is typical, but our classes are 90 minutes after which I usually can barely drive home. We don't even stretch as a class, we usually start jogging around the gymn doing stuff to loosen up, then do some drills like somersaults or pushups or whatever. The savvy higher belts usually strategically miss this part of class...Last like 10-15 min.

Then we partner up and learn 2-5 techniques for the day, usually with a common theme like escaping from a certain position, with some variations and counters. You alternate with your partner. Lasts about 45 min.

The last 30 min is grappling, where you partner up with someone and go full force, depending on what people agree to but usually starting from knees or standing and going until someone submits. We keep going until it's time to switch after 10-15 min and find a new partner or 2. After this I am completely dead-- even though it doesn't sound that hard, it is.

Occasionally we do drills on passing the guard or takedowns but usually our classes follow that pattern. Also sometimes they split up beginners/advanced students or people with or without gi's in the technique part.

I'd be interested to hear what other BJJ schools do, if there's much variation.

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 9:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but our classes are 90 minutes after which I usually can barely drive home. We don't even stretch as a class, we usually start jogging around the gymn doing stuff to loosen up, then do some drills like somersaults or pushups or whatever. The savvy higher belts usually strategically miss this part of class...Last like 10-15 min.
    sounds like the class I go to..

Except per-class we learn less technqiues, somtimes swaping partners per technqiue, not for the same technique.

We do quite a lot of guard passing and similar drills (from mount etc.) then spend a long time at the end sparring untill you're (I'm) completely exhausted.

To answer the other question: Yes we do spar (full contact) every lesson, it's a basic and standard part of the (any) BJJ class imo.
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 10:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you guys do any striking during sparring?

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 10:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (in sub. fighting yes) I haven't checked out the BJJ place since it moved, but apparently they do a "Vale Tudo" class: but in general, apart from this and the no-gi classes (2 per week) there isn;t usually any striking. Though maybe now there will be, I don't know.
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 11:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The class is 90 Minutes. 30-minutes warm-up, 30-Minutes training in 3-4 Tehniques Per class, 30-Minutes Sparring(Grappling-no Punching no kicking Only ocasionally we train in hitting the opponent by using Combinations with Grappling). Usually as K-diddy said: "our classes are 90 minutes after which I usually can barely drive home." But we stretch alot in warm-up.
    The class is 90 Minutes but ussually we stay longer in order to talk about Tehnique or roll a litle more. The inviroment is very friendly, everyone shows respect to each other, there is no Bowing and Crap like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2003 1:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what I like, no BS titles or bowing crap (we call the instructors their first names or "coach") and everyone is real collegial. When we spar sometimes often the coaches pair you up with someone a lot bigger or more advanced and you know you'll get subbed, but hopefully you still learn something, and people will always give pointers. Every time I get tapped I learn something, but you still have those rare guys with little peckers who have to win at all costs every time and pout when they tap.

There's no bullshit false respect or titles like with other MAs I've been to, since you prove yourselves every day on the mat, you don't need to make people respect you with some crappy bows or whatever. It really is refreshing compared to all the lame tradition you see in other (Asian) MA's.

Our BJJ classes have no striking while sparring, but often during techniques our instructor will show us how we would strike from certain positions if we were in a fight. Our school also has some no-gi Vale Tudo classes where they do incorporate strikes and wear gloves, I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but I've heard it's pretty intense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2003 1:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You consider bowing lame and crappy? Whoa, good way to udge what you don't understand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2003 4:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stold2: I've trained in other MA to tell u the truth i had no Big problem with bowing, but i never understood it much...Anyway i think it bowing it's kinda crappy no matter the reasons. As Kiddy said is Better to prove Yourself in the Mat and your teamates respect u for that. In the school i train there r a few guys that win everytime and some lose everytime, but among us there is the "Same" respect no matter who wins or looses and the "Coach" always fights and proves himself in the MAT every day by fighting US. I've seen teachers in other MA that Never Fight and demand respect with Bowing and saying "Yes sensei" or "Yes Master" To tell u the truth thats very Lame. Also for example once i've been in a Judo School and the Black-Belts were not even talking to Lower level students Like they were Gods or something also they were Hurting the Lower belts Badly when they fought (creeps) I choked out 3 Of them-Lapel Choke and Triangle...Heh heh i enjoyed it, but the day after my body hurt everywere...

p.s.
    That doesn't mean that all schools r like that, but most schools i been were exactly like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2003 6:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, when you decide to train under someone, master is just a term. It has almost the exact same meaning as coach if you think about it. If you think they don't deserve that title, like you said, don't train under them.

Bowing is just a sign of general respect for everyone...I mean, just because someone was bad at their art doesn't mean you wouldn't shake their hand, eh? It's also for showing respect to the dojo.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast