12/23/2004 10:52pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TaeBo_Master is correct.
    samurai_steve posted the exact reason.

Quote Originally Posted by bwerb
    So, you're recommendation would be a small snack prior to early morning exercise...what would you recommend as the small snack? Fast burn or slow burn? Something with a high GI or low? I'm interested in trying it out and haven't heard this before, let me know what you think.

(I tend to do high intesity intervals for my cardio...around 30 minutes or so...in the mornings, do you think this would be effective to add or am I working out short enough that I could stay in the fasted state?) I'm always willing to shake it up for further gains.
    Effective for what?

While I would wait 15-30 minutes after eating myself, the definition of small snack can vary.
    You would need both low and high GI carbs, as well as protein first thing in the morning.
    Minimise fat as those take longer to digest.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Canuckistanian Refugee

Posted On:
    12/23/2004 11:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, JKD Concepts, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So...let's take it back for a sec.

First thing in the morning. I go out and do high intesity intervals. I keep my heart rate up at 80 to 95%+. I like fast, intense high output workouts (for cardio). I am not interested in spending longer...I get-up way to early as it is...what I'm asking is...based on this cardio profile, if the thought pattern is that eating a small snak prior to said workout is beneficial...what would you recommend as an example?

I eat my first meal a short time after my workout.

Weightlifting...different story entirely.
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
    ~F. Scott Fitzgerald

Whether it is a good thing or a bad thing, smashing things up is sometimes very pleasant.
    ~Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    12/24/2004 1:31am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, unless you're diabetic, GI plays such a minimal role in your nutrition you shouldn't bother too much with it.

And, I didn't even see Samurai_Steve's post until Piz mentioned it. He's absolutely right. "Fat burns in a carbohydrate fire"... if you don't have sufficient carbohydrates in your system, you won't be able to utilize fat for energy at nearly the same level.

HIIT cardio training is great, I love it. But I would definitely eat first, especially in that scenario. If for no other reason than you'll probably be able to increase your performance by quite a bit. Do an experiment, and then post or PM me the results. (I'm assuming you don't time yourself when you run, but if you do, you can skip Step 1, if you have the times handy).

Step 1 (First week): Continue like you're doing now. Keep track of some tangible aspect of your HIIT training (for example, if you're running, keep track of times and distances)...

Step 2 (Second week): eat a banana, a piece of toast, and a hard boiled egg each morning 20 minutes before your workout. Then keep track of the same statistics as you did the first week. See if there are any noticeable performance gains.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    12/24/2004 4:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    Only That????????

Boy, I would be surprised if you could just walk after a couple of days, not to mention working out...
    You'd be surprised what the body will put up with if you ask it too. I once went 6 1/2 days on no food at all just to see if I could do it. (My goal was a week) And I don't mean fruit juice or anything, just herb tea and plain water for 6 1/2 days. I didn't take off from work either. The only concession I made was to keep my workouts limited to taiji-levels of exhertion. No Baji, no bag work or weight lifting.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/24/2004 8:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :bduh:

Posted On:
    12/27/2004 10:31pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TaeBo_Master is correct about Piz Doff being correct about Samurai_Steve being correct.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    12/27/2004 11:07pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PizDoff is correct about TBM being correct about PizDoff being correct about Samurai_Steve being correct.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    12/28/2004 5:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master
    PizDoff is correct about TBM being correct about PizDoff being correct about Samurai_Steve being correct.
    Sounds like good advice to me :biggrin:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234