221989 Bullies, 4204 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 38
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Scrapper is offline
    Scrapper's Avatar

    Fear and bullets.

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Dayville, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    4,286

    Posted On:
    12/21/2004 5:51pm

    staff
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to lose weight without losing muscle, be prepared to do it SLOWLY. Tricking your body into metabolizing fat without catabolizing muscle is very difficult. Try eating your 1800 calories a day while increasing either your cardio or weight training. Eat LOTS of protein. Starving is NEVER a good idea.

    EVER
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

    --Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.
  2. Tef-the-Persian is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Basking Ridge, New Jersey
    Posts
    567

    Posted On:
    12/21/2004 6:02pm


     Style: Hashashin.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master
    You're looking at something like 450 calories in that whole thing. my dog couldn't survive on 450 calories. Also, keep this in mind: If you cut calories TOO drastically, your body goes into starvation mode, which means that it will try to reduce energy expenditure as much as possible, and maintain emergency stores as much as possible. What this translates to is a preference for burning up muscle tissue despite its use. And also the body using fat as a last resort. Meaning, you'll be bones and fat until you die.
    It's actually even less, the yogurt I got is like 50 less calories than fitday expected. ;/

    Damned. So should I go with Scrapper's 1800 calories/day thing? I am 5'8 160 lbs atm. I used to be around 5% body fat at 135 lbs, same height. I just don't know how low to go. What foods should I add, if any? Should I simply multiply what I've got?
  3. Tef-the-Persian is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Basking Ridge, New Jersey
    Posts
    567

    Posted On:
    12/21/2004 6:07pm


     Style: Hashashin.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    If you want to lose weight without losing muscle, be prepared to do it SLOWLY. Tricking your body into metabolizing fat without catabolizing muscle is very difficult. Try eating your 1800 calories a day while increasing either your cardio or weight training. Eat LOTS of protein. Starving is NEVER a good idea.

    EVER
    Can't rep you yet, sorry. How much should I increase my cardio by? The problem with my weight training is I just recently quit my gym, and am assembling my home gym over the course of a few weeks. So far all I've got is dumbells. It's hard to afford more while working and going to school. I'm thinking a bar next, some plates, and an adjustable incline bench. Not sure where to go after that.

    Currently I'm running 5-6 miles, and it's easy as hell. I never seem to get tired. When weight training, my intensity level (I think according to what TBM has said intensity is) is like 80%. I do like 5-6 sets of 15 repetitions of each exercise.

    I do everything I can think of with dumbells, even that Romanian thing which I feel is kind of useless.

    Basically, I can't work my lower body yet. I do crunches and push-ups out of boredom, they don't ever tire me so I don't know what to do about that.
  4. TaeBo_Master is offline
    TaeBo_Master's Avatar

    Certified Fitness Trainer

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    4,002

    Posted On:
    12/21/2004 6:13pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless you don't have any weight for said dumbbells, you can do dumbbell squats to work your legs quite easily.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!


    "You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

    - The Wastrel
  5. VikingPower is offline
    VikingPower's Avatar

    Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,993

    Posted On:
    12/21/2004 6:27pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master
    You're looking at something like 450 calories in that whole thing. my dog couldn't survive on 450 calories. Also, keep this in mind: If you cut calories TOO drastically, your body goes into starvation mode, which means that it will try to reduce energy expenditure as much as possible, and maintain emergency stores as much as possible. What this translates to is a preference for burning up muscle tissue despite its use. And also the body using fat as a last resort. Meaning, you'll be bones and fat until you die.
    Good post, TaeBo. Also, once you get off that diet and go back to eating normally, your body's going to be used to the lower calories and will start storing up the excess as extra fat. That's why so many people who start fad dieting actually end up getting even fatter.

    As for the original poster, an easy and semi-accurate way of figuring out what you need is take your bodyweight and multiply it by 10, and thats how many calories your body consumes just doing your normal day to day activities outside of exercising. If you want to lose weight, you can try eliminating lots of starchy carbs from your diet, it's an effective one I learned from my old wrestling coach that I still use to this day. Six days a week, just eat meats, fruits, veggies, and the like with no starches and on your free day, eat whatever the heck you want. Works out pretty well.
    Last edited by VikingPower; 12/21/2004 6:31pm at .
  6. PizDoff is offline

    .

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    18,606

    Posted On:
    12/21/2004 8:28pm

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok....I don't even know where to begin here.
    What is your goal exactly?
    Does your school not have a gym?

    -Eat. A lot more. I say go to at least 2100 cals per day and see how your body reacts.
    -I also bet you are taking too long in the gym.
    I don't see how you can do 5-6 sets of 15 at 80% intensity if you do several exercises per body part/muscle group.


    FitDay, as well as other online site calorie calculators are to be used as a guideline, not an absolute. Using the scale to track your weight and calipers to measure your bodyfat is a much better indicator of progress.


    TaeBo_Master is exactly right about dieing with only fat and bones...
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
  7. Thaiboxerken is offline
    Thaiboxerken's Avatar

    Genius

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    6,349

    Posted On:
    12/21/2004 8:33pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1 egg white.
    10 roasted non-salted peanuts.
    3 raw apples.
    1 cup of nonfat, plain yogurt.
    Not a bad start for a breakfast. What do you plan on eating for lunch and dinner?
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.
  8. Tef-the-Persian is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Basking Ridge, New Jersey
    Posts
    567

    Posted On:
    12/21/2004 9:17pm


     Style: Hashashin.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer
    Ok....I don't even know where to begin here.
    What is your goal exactly?
    Does your school not have a gym?

    -Eat. A lot more. I say go to at least 2100 cals per day and see how your body reacts.
    -I also bet you are taking too long in the gym.
    I don't see how you can do 5-6 sets of 15 at 80% intensity if you do several exercises per body part/muscle group.


    FitDay, as well as other online site calorie calculators are to be used as a guideline, not an absolute. Using the scale to track your weight and calipers to measure your bodyfat is a much better indicator of progress.


    TaeBo_Master is exactly right about dieing with only fat and bones...
    Sorry. I start out the first set doing 15 reps, if I can do that for two sets, or near (13, 14), I move on up to the next weight set for my next session's weightlifting. My goal is to have very, very low bodyfat, and keep getting stronger. That's all I want, diet means nothing to me. (In that I'm willing to eat anything as long as it is healthy). Another goal of mine is to construct the perfect diet, something I can eat daily and provide enough energy and material for my body to adjust to MA training and continued strength increase.

    My school has a gym, and up until recently I held a membership at a really good gym near my house. Unfortunately I feel dreadfully uncomfortable around people, so I don't go to either. I have since cancelled my membership to the gym by me, since I don't go.

    I may be working out too long. Just recently I ran fifteen miles (a few days ago) and did situps and my usual weight regimen, and I'm still not fully recovered today. Today I gained no strength in any exercise. I'm worried, I've basically broke even for a week. I think it's the drastically reduced diet. And how long is too long? I love weightlifting, any little exercise I can think of, I do.

    I want to know exactly what to eat every day, I can adjust it for my calorie needs, once I find some way of figuring them out. I don't care if it's the same stuff every day, I'm totally cool with that. Since TBM, Scrapper, etc said that the food I ate today wasn't enough, I went and had another yogurt, a bowl of pasta with meatballs, and another apple. I hope that's enough to avoid the famine mode.

    Edit: Oh, while I actually went to the gym I lost 15 lbs in four weeks, and became stronger. I don't know how that happened.

    Over the past month or so that I've started using this new set of mine, I've lost about two pounds per week. I hope it's fat. I can't really tell quite yet. I have become stronger overall, but like I said, I've lately flatlined.
    Last edited by Tef-the-Persian; 12/21/2004 9:19pm at .
  9. Tef-the-Persian is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Basking Ridge, New Jersey
    Posts
    567

    Posted On:
    12/21/2004 9:30pm


     Style: Hashashin.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master
    Unless you don't have any weight for said dumbbells, you can do dumbbell squats to work your legs quite easily.
    Unfortunately I only have up to 40 lbs. I'll try a few reps next session and see if it does anything for me. I'm getting a bar and plates soon, along with a bench. Not sure what else to get for a complete home gym. What else is a requirement for functional strength?
  10. VikingPower is offline
    VikingPower's Avatar

    Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,993

    Posted On:
    12/21/2004 10:09pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tef-the-Persian
    Sorry. I start out the first set doing 15 reps, if I can do that for two sets, or near (13, 14), I move on up to the next weight set for my next session's weightlifting. My goal is to have very, very low bodyfat, and keep getting stronger. That's all I want, diet means nothing to me. (In that I'm willing to eat anything as long as it is healthy). Another goal of mine is to construct the perfect diet, something I can eat daily and provide enough energy and material for my body to adjust to MA training and continued strength increase.
    Doing 15 reps per set won't get you that strong, its mostly an endurance exericse by that time. The 5x5 system will help you gain some good functional strength. Two good warm-up sets with an average weight and then three sets with the maximum amount of weight you can use for 5 reps for the next three sets. Simple but effective.

    I may be working out too long. Just recently I ran fifteen miles (a few days ago) and did situps and my usual weight regimen, and I'm still not fully recovered today. Today I gained no strength in any exercise. I'm worried, I've basically broke even for a week. I think it's the drastically reduced diet. And how long is too long? I love weightlifting, any little exercise I can think of, I do.
    You won't always see gains every time you go to the gym. Beginners may see dramatic increases, but intermediate and advanced lifters often add very little poundages to their lifts within the span of a year once you've been lifting for quite some time. Patience and dedication is the key.

    I want to know exactly what to eat every day, I can adjust it for my calorie needs, once I find some way of figuring them out. I don't care if it's the same stuff every day, I'm totally cool with that. Since TBM, Scrapper, etc said that the food I ate today wasn't enough, I went and had another yogurt, a bowl of pasta with meatballs, and another apple. I hope that's enough to avoid the famine mode.
    That's still way too little, you're starving the hell out of your body. All that weight you've been losing lately is almost definitely muscle too, as when you put your body in starvation mode, it attacks your muscles first and foremost for calories to survive. You need to eat a lot more, I've heard of anorexics who eat more than that in a day. If you really don't like eating that much, try the Warrior Diet from Dragondoor.com. I have the book but never tried it myself, but a triathlete friend of mine got good results from it and likes it a lot, so it may be more your style. You only eat one big meal at night and snack on little things throughout the day, so maybe you could try that. Otherwise you're just slowly starving yourself and robbing yourself of all your hard-earned muscle.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.