218358 Bullies, 5680 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: How do you pass the guard?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • From standing.

25 31.65%
  • From the knees.

54 68.35%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2004 10:36am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin69
    Don't mean to be a prick, but it doesn depend on who and where you are fighting.
    Also your background, not everyone passes the guard ala BJJ.
    Sorry if I seemed grumpy yesterday, but I really am interested in how you pass the guard in a way that isn't at least similar to the "ala BJJ" ways.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2004 10:49am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In horrible form, I'm going to post one more time in a row:

Do you guys who bait the triangle really have success stopping it by stacking?

The way I learned it was:

1) Stack to defend armbars. This takes away the hip movement that the armbar relies on.
    2) Post to defend triangles. This stops the legs from closing tightly.

I get stacked all the time when going for triangles, and being doubled over doesn't affect the setup or execution of the choke that much. More than a couple times I've had them stack me, then just rolled backwards over my shoulder, rolling them into a mounted triangle. Stacking an armbar will kill it though.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 12/22/2004 10:53am at .

Chemist

Posted On:
    12/22/2004 12:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I stack triangles, but I've got broad shoulders. Usually I just stack hard and work on keeping the guy underneath straight and not perpendicular, then I squeeze an arm in, I also try to keep my elbows in so I can poke my elbow to the inside of the guys thigh. This may not work against someone really skilled at the triangle (such as the BJJ blue belts I train with) but it works quite well against the other judoka I roll with.

Let me also say that if they don't have it tight yet, I usually am able to get the arm out, but if they have it half-way tight enough for me unable to get my arm out then I'll do it the first way
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2004 1:12pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I definitely stack the person if the triangle is that deep. Nothing I've been taught, it's just always made sense. Lately, whenever I've had to do this and have been sitting at the top of a precarious balance-point -- where moving more than a few inches in any direction will mean lights out -- I've found myself wishing for something to do other than wait for the the other guy to tire of having a sore neck. Any thoughts?

Posted On:
    12/22/2004 2:20pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a triangle escape that involves stacking the knee towards the head. I generally don't need to go that far before turning and slapping my free hand to the floor, across their body, which breaks the hold.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Posted On:
    12/22/2004 2:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeddy
    I think I missed something, she didn't say anything about leavings arms in or out?
    Pushing with your elbows on the inner thighs is just asking for a triangle. They push the hand through. I do this all the time.

Posted On:
    12/22/2004 2:26pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not if you posture first, and have a good grip on their uniform. If your posture is correct you cannot get triangled because your head and shoulders are back and up.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2004 2:54pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Disgusting Simian, this the only escape for the triangle I've had any success with:

http://bjj.org/techniques/intheguard/escapetriangle/

When you get to this point...

...you're really going to have to fight to get posture and fight to keep his knee on the ground. You need to really "grow" inside his triangle until he can't keep his legs locked. This is might not happen quickly, and you might need to use a lot of strenth and energy to do it. But hey, that's the price you pay for getting triangled in the first place.

But be warned that it is not going to save you all the time. When my instructor taught this move, he said "This will give you a 50/50 chance of escaping the triangle... Make that 40/60, probably less. Let's just say it's better than just sitting there and getting choked."

A couple more escapes are in the books The Triangle and Passing the Guard and I'll write them up for you tonight.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 12/22/2004 3:08pm at .

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    12/22/2004 3:04pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden
    Not if you posture first, and have a good grip on their uniform. If your posture is correct you cannot get triangled because your head and shoulders are back and up.
    Agreed, I've got a pretty good triangle, and I've also got a pretty flexible spine so I feel stacking doesnt work well for 3 reasons:

1: if the guy is flexible and doesnt mind being bent in half, you're not getting anywhere
    2: when you stack, you're usually driving through with your head, leaving it low which is contrary to how I've been taught to escape a triangle
    3: Correct me if Im wrong here, but suppose you're trying to stack the guy, and he lifts his shoulders off the ground to slide back- if you insist on trying to stack him and run out of bounds, thats DQ'ed for fleeing the mat aint it?

As soon as they jump to the triangle, I've been taught to immediately look up and get good posture, since a good triangle relies on pulling the head down. IMO too that this is the best defense I've had people do against me as well.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2004 3:07pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool! I'm looking forward to reading your descriptions.

The link above isn't working, but I think I get the idea.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast