Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/20/2004 7:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Punch Power improvement

Hello, Im back after a couple of months (well, probably nobody noticed that...), anyway, after these times of unemplyment and total lack of funds, Im getting back to the gym. Maybe this time I wont make the same mistakes I was making before, thanks to the things Ive been reading and the people who helped me in this thread and this one. Your advice was well taken, thanks.

One thing that concerns me a lot is my total lack of punch (and leg) power. How could I improve it? Yes I know about heavy bags, pads, etc. but how should I train with those? Any tips? How do you work your punch power?

Any advice, tips, suggestions... are much appreciated.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    12/20/2004 7:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you get back to your classes, pay attention to footwork. It is almost the single most important aspect in regards to power, for a punch. Core/trunk strength, hip movement, and correct technique are the others. These all work together in a concentrated effort to produce power, and speed. Once the techniques are correct, the equipment will help you to improve. If you decide to add weight training to improve overall strength, be advised that you do not want to sacrifice any training time for the additional weight work. It will be imperative to train more, to teach the new muscles to conform to the techniques you've worked so hard to learn.
    Train well & train safe.

`~/

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    12/21/2004 12:21am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meex is correct. The single most important factor in punching power is going to be body mechanics (footwork, rotation, etc..). After that, strengthening the muscles that throw the punches will help too.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/21/2004 12:40am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The heavy bag helps you learn proper distancing and rewards a lack of proper structure with sore wrists. It does not improve punching power.

Here's the tai chi guy's advice: Work on your body mechanics. Start slowly . . . really slowly. If there is a single aspect of a given movement that you are not completely sure about, then ask someone else who can help or bring it up here. Once you understand how you're supposed to move, then only do so as fast as you can while still being completely sure about the quality of your body positioning.

Remember to relax right up through to the end of the movement; tensing your muscles weakens your punch. Only tense at the end to ensure that you have the proper structure. Also remember not to hyper-extend your arm.

Three things to pay attention to:
    Weight shift
    Hip turn
    Coordination (ensuring that the punch lands as you've finished turning your hips and shifting your weight, not after)

Posted On:
    12/21/2004 8:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All the above posters are correct.
    Techniques is amd always will be the "key" to explosive power.
    AFTER you have technique down, then you can supplement with some strength training.
    But first perfect your technique, your footwork, body alignment, wrist/elbow/fist aligment, etc.

Posted On:
    12/23/2004 6:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Allright, body mechanics and technique, thanks.

But apart from that what knida exercisesz do you do to improve your punch power? Or you just do your body conditioning and technique and punch power just comes along naturally?

Loving Father

Posted On:
    12/23/2004 7:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    Byou just do your body conditioning and technique and punch power just comes along naturally?
    It's kinda sorta just like that. And, as has been said, after your mechanics are correct, any increase in overall strength, fitrness, etc. will tend to increase the punch. Specific exercises for punching? That would lead to equipment > punching bags > heavy bag. Don't mess around with weighted punches of any kind. . .the research is still out on that, and is tending toward injuries. . .even with plyometrics, and other "loading" types of exercise/training. Train Hard, Train Safe. Train Well.

`~/

Posted On:
    12/24/2004 8:11am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    Allright, body mechanics and technique, thanks.

But apart from that what knida exercisesz do you do to improve your punch power? Or you just do your body conditioning and technique and punch power just comes along naturally?

Understand that, punching power is genetic, some guys are juts great punchers, natural punches, ok artist if you prefer, but ALL can improve their punching power.
    Speed is essential, but most kae that mistake to think that they need faster hand/arm speed, that is ONLY PART of the equation, you need to move your WHOLE body faster, so you can put your whole body into the strike, or you end up with WC/Kenpo "slaps" rather than knockout punches.

Studies done show that maximum force and speed are avaiable in the first 3 punches of any series, after that, a substancial decrease in power is noticed.

So, drill combos with 3 strikes max, rather than trying to throw 10 shots.
    Drill strikes with body behind EVERY strike, relax and explode, expolosivness can't be stated enough.
    Learn to expolde with movement from stillness.

Strength training is a great addition AFTER you have the tecniques down, remember, ST strengths the muscles and such the are invloved in the punch, but just because you can bench 400lbs, doesn't mean you can hit with power.

Heavy bag work, you need it, it is a MUST !!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2004 11:04am

Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My friend and I were talking to a boxing coach about the same thing. How does one increase punching power?. "Legs!", he said. "It's all in the legs. Increase the strength in your legs and you'll increase your punching power". I'm sure he said this with the assumption that a fighter has the basic mechanics of throwing punches in the first place.

Posted On:
    12/24/2004 11:06am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Leg power and footwork are the "secrets" to punching power.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast