Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    12/20/2004 6:19pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do static calf stretches, and then squat with proper form as far down (no farther than thighs parallel to the floor of course) as you can while maintaining control of the weight. Proper form and posture is more important than ROM. ROM will come gradually with the stretching and lifting.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    12/20/2004 6:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once you adapt to the proper posture, you'll find that you'll get a lot stronger. This is for a couple reasons. First, when you have proper posture, spinal alignment and support, your body will allow you to recruit the muscles you're using to a greater degree. Second of all, your body is designed to use proper posture, so you'll be recruiting the prime movers to a much greater degree. When you do any movement with incorrect posture, your prime movers only take a part of the load, and the rest gets tranferred to stabilizers which aren't meant to actually move the weight, this is called "synergistic dominance" and it's bad.

- The Wastrel

Loving Father

Posted On:
    12/20/2004 6:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi
    Meex- MediReindeer--No swelling, or pain when moving my toes up or down. The pain is generally the length of the shin, nostly near the top, like when I bend down or place pressure when bending my foot forward. It doesn't feel like muscle pain or any of that sort, it feels like I bruised something.
    Well, that didn't help to narrow it down too much. It could be an overuse injury (or, even as you suspect, overcompensating for the calf strength). The usual recommendation - RICE, and check it out wtih a doctor. There are also more chronic conditions that could have the same effect/pains.

Good luck!

`~/

Posted On:
    12/21/2004 12:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When one muscle is tight (in this case, your calves), over time its antagonist (in this case the anterior tibialis, posterior tibialis or peroneal complex, depending on which function of the calf we're talking about) become lengthened, and thus, weaker. Because of this lengthening, it's often tight (which leads people to stretch incorrectly, but that's a whole other story)... and this leads to adhesions. Adhesions are basically knots in the muscle fascia. They're tender to the touch, and as many of us know, large lumps around the shin area can put a lot of pressure on the bone, causing it to hurt when it bears weight.

- The Wastrel

Genius

Posted On:
    12/21/2004 12:31am

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you train martial arts, or run alot, you probably don't need to be doing calf-raises and such. Your shin splints could be caused by over exersion, poor footwear or dehydration.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Posted On:
    12/21/2004 2:13am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never run. Ever. :-D Man I'm such a slacker when it comes to stretching. I thought the seated ham string stretch stretched the calf also. Negative. I bought some books on proper stretching today. I just stretched my right calf and it was really friggin rigid. I'm gonna drop down a bit of weight with my squats till I get my form right. So, my legs shouldn't be further than my hips, and what about going below parallel? I've read mixed reports on it producing better/more hypertrophy going below parallel. Any backing to this? Also, how long will it take before I get rid of these adhesions? What you described has made me worried that my leg is going to explode.

MediReindeer- What is RICE? I'm guessing the first letter is, Rest? I'm off for the week from working out as it's Christmas and my Gym's closed all week.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2004 2:39am

Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

Posted On:
    12/21/2004 2:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    RICE = Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

As far as going below parallel, it's not a hypertrophy issue (the difference would be minimal if any)..... but the bigger issue is that going below parallel can increase risk of injury to the knees.

TBK is correct, you shouldn't be doing calf raises n ****.

Finally, the hamstrings in most people are the LAST muscle that needs to be statically stretched. The postural deviation that requires hamstring stretching is far far less common than the one in which the hamstrings are actually already lengthened.

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    12/21/2004 3:02am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only do the seated plate loaded raises to work my calves. Is this bad? I want to work my calves a bit with some weight, but if it's pointless, any better ideas?

Posted On:
    12/21/2004 3:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you a bodybuilder? No? Then don't do it.

- The Wastrel
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast