Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2004 9:38pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Have you fought under these kickboxing rules?

There's a local bar that just started having a "Fight Night." The rules are basically Full Contact (boxing rules plus kicks above the waist), but only 1 minute rounds, I think either 2 or 3. I heard about it through a bunch of bouncers I know who have watched it. Needless to say, there is a lot of windmill action, and the fighters are very winded the 2nd round. But some local kickboxers participate, and I'm thinking about joining.

Would it really improve me as a martial artist? What would my chances of winning be? Naturally, these questions could only be answered by stepping in the ring, but I'm looking for people who have done this. My conditioning wouldn't matter because of the short rounds. I'm a better low kicker/"kneer" than puncher, but I can't use the first two. I'm thinking it would be a lesson in chin-toughening, which I wouldn't mind learning.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    12/17/2004 9:58pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell yeah, albert. You should definitely step into the ring. I've only seen one fighter who's good, the rest are barely decent to bad. Even if you end up against the good guy, it's a learning experience, right?
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2004 10:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poidog
    Hell yeah, albert. You should definitely step into the ring. I've only seen one fighter who's good, the rest are barely decent to bad. Even if you end up against the good guy, it's a learning experience, right?
    So are you referring to Majestic Fight Night, or some other bar? I'm going back home this Wed., so I'd probably do it late Jan. As early as possible in the spring semester before I start getting my ass kicked by classes.

Posted On:
    12/17/2004 10:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fight Nights used to be held Weds out at Turner Hall - in fact, they may still be. But I've been to the Tues night Fight Night at Majestic. The ring was up on the stage and the upstairs was the 21+ beer drinking crowd. Pretty good atmosphere all around. Let me know when you're gonna fight so I can buy your first round after your fight.
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2004 11:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm actually only 20, but my grappling instructor is head of security there, ho ho ho.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    12/18/2004 2:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do it! It will improve your fighting ability quite a bit I'd think. Who knows, you might win! Kick him in the head!
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/18/2004 3:02pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by albert
    There's a local bar that just started having a "Fight Night." The rules are basically Full Contact (boxing rules plus kicks above the waist), but only 1 minute rounds, I think either 2 or 3. I heard about it through a bunch of bouncers I know who have watched it. Needless to say, there is a lot of windmill action, and the fighters are very winded the 2nd round. But some local kickboxers participate, and I'm thinking about joining.

Would it really improve me as a martial artist? What would my chances of winning be? Naturally, these questions could only be answered by stepping in the ring, but I'm looking for people who have done this. My conditioning wouldn't matter because of the short rounds. I'm a better low kicker/"kneer" than puncher, but I can't use the first two. I'm thinking it would be a lesson in chin-toughening, which I wouldn't mind learning.
    Yeah go for it. Besides the shorter rounds these were about the same original kickboxing rules now refered to as full contact karate. Back in the late 80's this was the preferred way of fighting for the "real" fighters.

Posted On:
    12/18/2004 3:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    albert, not sure if you've seen fight night's website, but in case you haven't, here it is.
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    12/18/2004 3:33pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd compete in the "Submission Grappling" event, but only if my opponent was one of those ring girls
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Loving Father

Posted On:
    12/18/2004 5:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll go tag-team with Izzy!

Al - go do it. Especially if one of your instructors works there. About six years ago there were 'friday night fights' at a local bar here. . .pretty cool environment to try yourself out.
    The format is pretty ggod, and the unpredictable nature of the other fighters is great, too.
    Being a bar the only negative was sometimes drunk friends of the other combatants. Since you don't have that problem. . .Go FOR IT!

Vids, please!

`~/
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast