Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/12/2003 6:39am

Style: non

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best self defence is a mob of devote followers that follows your every move.

"A California man has been taken to court for stalking Anna Nicole Smith. The man has been charged with invasion of privacy, illegal trespassing, and having really bad taste."-Conan

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2003 10:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i wouldnt waste my time with kali either i think its stupid i mean you dont need much skill to use a stick and i know people that can kick someones ass if they had a baseball bat i dont know if i could but i know i can get a stick out of someones hands in a hurry! and as for bjj i think that should have been in the top 3 anyway!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2003 10:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can understand why kali got such a low ranking. Frankly, I think it's a bit overrated. I mean, if you've got a weapon, be it a knife or stick, how much training do you need to be able to kick ass with it? Maybe a little, but it's not going to take a whole lot. It's like training for a best-case scenario. And yeah, I know it teaches defenses against knives and clubs, but let's be honest: running is the only option if the guy's got a weapon. I think your time could be spent more constructively on things you actually have a shot at, such as hand-to-hand.

[
    If the other guy's got a weapon, then winning gets a little trickier.
    Kali stick-fighting is good because it allows you to improvise a weapon; if you're fighting someone who has a knife, it's a good idea to be able to grab a stick and know how to use it without being slashed to the bone or shish-kabobbed.
    The main problem is that they over-complicate everything, and over-simplify how it would work in real life.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2003 11:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boyd, it's not all knife/stick vs. empty hand. If you couldn't kick ass with a knife or a stick against an unarmed guy, then something's wrong. The premise of learning how to fight with a knife is that your opponent is probably going to have one too and for your sake you're going to want to be better at using it than he is.

And with a stick, how many myriad objects are there around to which the stick movements could be applied? How often are you going to be attacked in a wide open field where there are absolutely NO items which you could use like a kali stick?

The danger of practicing with improvising weapons is getting into the "Jackie Chan choreography" where you're practicing DANCE more than self-defense; Jackie Chan movies are entertaining because he uses an object as a weapon in so many different ways-- but it's like the Globetrotters or pro wrestling, i.e. just an act that would never work in real life, and only works on stage because it's choreographed.
    This is why I push competition so hard-- you can't trust anything if you don't test it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2003 11:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At last the debate has been settled.

Kung Fu reigns supreme!

I agree so heartily that I think we all concur there's no need to TEST our conclusion, since even the smallest, most inexperienced Fu-fighter would kill anyone else in one second no matter how hard he tried to be lenient; even his bad mood can put Dan Severn in a hospital comatose for several years. Lucky for us, they're peaceful (sigh of relief).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2003 11:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    About legal repercussions, I agree with those who say it's better to better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6. Of course, there are ways you can stop a fight between having pulled a knife and being forced to use a knife (warning slashes among them), also, the balisong can be used like a yawara stick when closed.

My personal experience isn't different, the closest I've come to a knife fight is being around (and watching closely) some acquaintances who were quite obviously not legally permitted to conceal knives but did so directly counter to the laws of the good state of Florida.

However, while we may not run into thugs re-enacting the ending fight of Under Siege 2 on every street corner in the US and Japan, there are significantly more knife fights in places like the Philippines or South Africa than in places like the US. In countries like those, knives are employed by gang members and criminals in fights with each other and in the robbery and assault of civilians. So, for citizens of those countries (and others at regular risk of knife attack) a knowledge of knife fighting could prove intstrumental in surviving those attacks that fall between ones stopped by basic avoidance skills and the unavoidable stealth ones.
    Could this be due to the fact that Florida is a "right to carry" state, while these other nations will ban pea-shooters, leaving people to defend themselves only with kitchen cutlery? I'll skip the pro-gun arguments, but as the saying goes:
    "Bring a knife to a gunfight, and you can write your own epitaph... but show up empty-handed and we'll just write 'schmuck.'"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2003 11:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That really doesnt seem right. A tackle handles that. Plus consider that most people brandish weapons before their use.
    Tackling someone who has a baseball bat is like slow-pitching them a canteloupe, while if they have a knife you'll impale yourself. There's another way to do it safely, but it's very tricky and requires great knowledge, skill and practice.
    I haven't attacked most people, so I don't know whether they brandish weapons or not before use, but it would seem that the only thing most villains would brandish is the element of surprise unless they were trying to scare you-- and unless you hand faced a similar situation before, many times, you WOULD be scared.
    Likewise, you never know if he's alone, or has a few friends nearby.
    "Rule #1. You are not Superman.
    Rule #2. When you see the enemy, look for the next one-- unless you expect them to count down in order of appearance."

-- Murphy's rules of combat

Edited by - dansevering on February 16 2003 22:25:04
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345