WHAER IS HAIDONGE KUMDO?

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 9:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And with a stick, how many myriad objects are there around to which the stick movements could be applied? How often are you going to be attacked in a wide open field where there are absolutely NO items which you could use like a kali stick?
    I understand what you're saying, and it sounds good in theory but would probably pan out less well in real life. Once the **** hits the fan, how much time are you really going to have to run around looking for a lead pipe conveniently lying around? When I go for a walk, I'm the type of guy who tends to stare at the ground. I often wonder what would happen if someone came at me; you know, just envisioning some scenarios. Very seldom is there a tree branch or baseball bat rolling about. Real life isn't Final Fight. If you sense danger and grab a blunt object as a precaution, you'll probably just piss off/alarm your opponent.

Besides, just like you said, if you're armed and your opponent isn't, by rights, you should be able to whale the living **** out of him WITHOUT martial arts training.

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 9:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ isn't really that popular overall, one of the least infact..
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 9:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazillian Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm. So Boyd, are you then saying that anyone with a baseball bat or broom handle should be able to beat the **** out of anyone on this forum if they weren't similarly armed? 'Cause that's what I'm hearing. :|
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "The difference between us, and other martial arts websites you might be looking for, is that we're not going to feed you, well, bullshit about martial arts."
    -Phrost

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 10:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Baseball bat, probably. Broom handle, not likely.

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 11:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazillian Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're wading into some treacherous waters there, Boyd.

What d'yall think, everybody? Boyd here reckons if he had a bat he could whoop all our butts. :P

But seriously, Boyd, you need to look into this more. Defending against a baseball bat is not that difficult a thing to do, but I've met some FMA dudes who are very scary if you put a weapon in their hands.

Edited by - gong sau on February 10 2003 22:11:27
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "The difference between us, and other martial arts websites you might be looking for, is that we're not going to feed you, well, bullshit about martial arts."
    -Phrost

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 11:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've met some FMA dudes who are very scary if you put a weapon in their hands.

Oh, I don't doubt that at all. But like I said, if you're gonna be attacked, you're most likely not going to be in possesion of a knife or able to get your hands on a club-like object. I'm looking around my room, which is pretty much wall-to-wall with junk, and the only thing I can find that resembles a blunt object would be my lava lamp, my Game Cube, my PS2, one of my two TVs, my computer, my 80-plus movie DVD collection, my king-sized mattress, my Handicam, my phone, my flatbed scanner, my copy of Hitler's Table Talk, my morbidly obese labrador retriever, my bo, and my electric blanket. What's the probability you'll be carrying around a king-sized mattress when you're attacked? Not likely. I say you'd be best to train for the most likely scenario, that being hand-to-hand, because like I said: if he has a knife, run.

Posted On:
    2/11/2003 12:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could just throw your 80 dvds ninja style!

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    2/11/2003 3:45am

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could dispute the assertion that you're "probably not going to be carrying a knife."

Why leave it a matter of chance and not choice? Carrying a knife for self-defense, if you choose not to carry a gun or any other weapon, allows you a greater range of force and intent than if you were completely unarmed.

Plus, a knife has a psychological effect on a situation. If an attacker knows you have a knife, you cease to be the "easy target" they're looking for. Also, what if he has a knife and you can't run? The best option (aside from having a gun) is to have your own knife, after that, a stick, after that, safely finding a stick, after that, an empty-handed disarm.

Right there are 4 more options that knowing Kali affords beyond running away. How many myriad other arts out there effectively ignore the possibility that weapons may be involved in an altercation? BJJ, Muay Thai, Karate, etc..

I'd like to be able to do more than "run away", and short of shooting anyone who attacks me, Kali is what's going to help.

-------------------------
    Clap your hands everybody,
    if you got what it takes
    'Cause I'm Kurtis Blow
    and I want you to know
    that these are the breaks!
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    2/11/2003 6:03am

Style: World 10-3 Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "How many myriad other arts out there effectively ignore the possibility that weapons may be involved in an altercation? BJJ, Muay Thai, Karate, etc.."

Most Karate schools, McDojo or not, concentrate some of their time on empty handed disarms.

BJJ and Muay Thai kickboxing are ring orientated fighting systems where there is no room for training against weapons. All the arts you casually named are poor examples.

Cast in the name of God. Ye not guilty.
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast