Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    2/09/2003 10:55pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are any of you guys watching this crap on TLC? "Ultimate 10 Martial Arts" is horrible, easily the stupidest documentary on martial arts that I've ever seen. I just saw the juko-kai and ninjutsu parts and it was 100% bullshido. I knew TLC had some cheesy programming, but this takes the cake. Any program that gives karate and shaolin kung fu the #2 and #1 spots while BJJ and Kali get #10 and #9 is an embarassment.
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    2/09/2003 11:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And people wonder why we get so pissed off! Web forums and NHB venues are about the only place where we can even begin to hold our own.
    I've had reedy grad students (Dochter) talk about street effectivity....Just kidding Doch! He's not reedy. He's got forearms like Popeye. And he never said that...Oh ****.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 12:31am

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can understand why kali got such a low ranking. Frankly, I think it's a bit overrated. I mean, if you've got a weapon, be it a knife or stick, how much training do you need to be able to kick ass with it? Maybe a little, but it's not going to take a whole lot. It's like training for a best-case scenario. And yeah, I know it teaches defenses against knives and clubs, but let's be honest: running is the only option if the guy's got a weapon. I think your time could be spent more constructively on things you actually have a shot at, such as hand-to-hand.

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 12:41am

supporting member
     Style: kyoku-shin, boun-shin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with you Boyd. If Kali should rank higher, then knowing how to press the button for a thermonuclear device should rank #1.

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 12:50am

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boyd, it's not all knife/stick vs. empty hand. If you couldn't kick ass with a knife or a stick against an unarmed guy, then something's wrong. The premise of learning how to fight with a knife is that your opponent is probably going to have one too and for your sake you're going to want to be better at using it than he is.

And with a stick, how many myriad objects are there around to which the stick movements could be applied? How often are you going to be attacked in a wide open field where there are absolutely NO items which you could use like a kali stick?

I'm going to watch it at 1 in about 10 minutes, be back with my comments.

-------------------------
    Clap your hands everybody,
    if you got what it takes
    'Cause I'm Kurtis Blow
    and I want you to know
    that these are the breaks!
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 1:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I agree with you in principle, Mercurius, about the usefulness of a stick, I've seen a knife pulled with real intent a total of once in 18 years of going to bars (and a year working in them) as well as all the other situations I've ever seen. I see a ton of legal problems involved in using a knife that a prosecutor could prove you were trained in and were carrying concealed. I don't see the benefits of training with and carrying a weapon (on the extremely slim chance you'll have to use it against a similarly armed oponent) offsetting all the drawbacks you face.

Is your experience different Mercurius? I don't mean that as a challenge; I'd be interested to know if anyone here's ever seen a knife fight that went beyond a couple of warning slashes.

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 2:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At last the debate has been settled.

Kung Fu reigns supreme!

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 2:23am

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    About legal repercussions, I agree with those who say it's better to better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6. Of course, there are ways you can stop a fight between having pulled a knife and being forced to use a knife (warning slashes among them), also, the balisong can be used like a yawara stick when closed.

My personal experience isn't different, the closest I've come to a knife fight is being around (and watching closely) some acquaintances who were quite obviously not legally permitted to conceal knives but did so directly counter to the laws of the good state of Florida.

However, while we may not run into thugs re-enacting the ending fight of Under Siege 2 on every street corner in the US and Japan, there are significantly more knife fights in places like the Philippines or South Africa than in places like the US. In countries like those, knives are employed by gang members and criminals in fights with each other and in the robbery and assault of civilians. So, for citizens of those countries (and others at regular risk of knife attack) a knowledge of knife fighting could prove intstrumental in surviving those attacks that fall between ones stopped by basic avoidance skills and the unavoidable stealth ones.

-------------------------
    Clap your hands everybody,
    if you got what it takes
    'Cause I'm Kurtis Blow
    and I want you to know
    that these are the breaks!
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 2:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "we may not run into thugs re-enacting the ending fight of Under Siege 2 on every street corner in the US and Japan"

True but a bit sad -- I do love watching knife/stick fighting ... maybe "best knife fights on screen" should be a poll topic? Ah, hell, think I'll post it.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/10/2003 7:02am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This show is over a year old.

This show was made by the POPULARITY of the arts not by any structure of effectivenes, blah blah blah.

If I recall there were many calls about the JukoKai. Rob to put it bluntly is FULL OF ****. And many were disappointed it even got mention.

______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!

"I love you Asia" - I Give BJJs Posted - December 25 2002 : 10:40:09
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast