223554 Bullies, 4522 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    12/19/2004 10:13pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow! I watched it with the sound off, and my BJJ isn't all that great so I got a little lost.

What I am definately going to practice next time I train though is the spinning guard pass, from standing.

edit: oh, and thanks!
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Straight Blast Gym Instructor

Posted On:
    12/21/2004 3:57pm

Style: SBGi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is all shown no gi and I also explain gi options that are available as the techniques shown work in both sports and some have mma options as well.

-Luis

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 11:30pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am bumping this thread for a year ago because I have since watched these tapes, and they completely changed my game. Incredible material, and I recommend it to everyone.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 12:07am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    I am bumping this thread for a year ago because I have since watched these tapes, and they completely changed my game. Incredible material, and I recommend it to everyone.
    Was thinking of getting these the other month but decided I hadn't heard anything about em' since this thread so I'd hold off. What exactly do they offer?
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 12:27am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The harness is a control position that works into attacking from the side and back, and it will work into your rear mount and clock choke position (sideride). As a game, the harness is unique because it is based on controlling the upper body without worrying about the hips, so it catches a lot of BJJ guys of guard since you're not doing the usual routine. Marcelo Garcia's game is largely based on this position (and I recommend his DVDs to go along with SoFlo).

My game has changed to have a side control that is based on taking the back (using the harness) rather than holding them down. The I also make heavy use of forklift guard pass (double under pass) since no one is used to it. You're making them do a backroll but blocking them from taking your down as you secure the harness.

Overall, the harness has changed the way I think about positions and strategy, and has given me a game to play that I've found to be very unique and effective, while still tying right into the usual BJJ training.

Also on the DVD are the x-pass and v-pass. They are both based on the funny but workable concept of passing guard by pulling guard. I haven't made much use of the v-pass (though I keep trying it every once in a while -- it's the one from the trailer where you roll and take the back), but the x-pass has worked into my game really nicely. It is based on the concept of passing butterfly guard by pulling x-guard.

The chinstrap is a game based on cupping the chin. Mario Sperry has something similar on one of his tapes which he calls "The Grip", but he does it more as a neck crank and it has more vale tudo aspect. What sets Luis' apart is that he uses it as a mechanism for effecting sweeps and escapes. It actually comes from him trying to find a no-gi application of the loop choke grip, and he talks about how he applies gi concepts to no-gi (which I found very interesting). I haven't made much use of this material though, so I can't really vouch for it.

I've put some of the material on tempo rolling to use when training with white and blue belts who want to work on timing and sensitivity.

I can't say I use 100% of the material on these sets (for example, I've never been able to get some of the no-gi chokes he shows to work), but the positional strategy have really changed about my game and how I think about BJJ.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 12/28/2005 12:29am at .

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 12:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Aeso, are you still incorporating the harness and chin strap in your game?
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 12:20am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still use the harness but never got the chinstrap to work. I don't use any of the other content from this DVD any more since I found that a lot of the alternative submissions didn't really work. I now think that the taking the back and submissions tapes from any of Marcelo's DVDs would be a better alternative.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 12:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, I was curious if it still had an effect on your game after almost a year. After I get out of this cast I want to try and work the harness hardcore!
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 12:37am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everything I ended up taking out of the harness position came from Marcelo. I am still learning from his DVDs and competition footage, as you can see in some of my latest threads.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12