Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2003 10:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was wondering what everyone in here thinks the best martial arts for developing kicks is?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2003 10:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    muay thai, tkd, kyokushin.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2003 10:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    does anyone know of any really good schools on long island ny? specifically in suffolk county?

Reading FD cause cancer

small hick city full with college students in Cali

Posted On:
    2/09/2003 11:23am

Style: Muay Thai and boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai because they condition their shin so it is rock hard. Also they have a unique way to kicks that is different than any other martial arts. Like as Master Toddy say "Kick hard as a alligator tail snapping, a elbow as lethal as bull horn, and a explosive knee, the most dangerous move in martial arts". :-)

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2003 1:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazillian Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Add savate to that list. I would argue that its kicks are better than TKD's. Hard to find a good non-sport school, though.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "The difference between us, and other martial arts websites you might be looking for, is that we're not going to feed you, well, bullshit about martial arts."
    -Phrost

Posted On:
    2/09/2003 1:59pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    can't you just adapt your kicks to be "practical" though?

if you are taking savate

--

There are only three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2003 2:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazillian Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your going to do thing different from how you're taught, why take the classes? Training in class one way and expecting to be able to do it differently when the pressure's on is asking for trouble.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "The difference between us, and other martial arts websites you might be looking for, is that we're not going to feed you, well, bullshit about martial arts."
    -Phrost

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2003 3:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The trouble with most classes is that they MAKE you do it wrong. Bruce Lee taught people to try new things, instead of shackling them with useless tradition; he also taught that you should kick without any preparatory moves, steps etc-- In his own words, "When you want to kick, just kick!"
    I've seen all the old moves work in various situations, but I wouldn't count on it.

For this reason I'd say JKD is probably best, however I've seen their kicks and I don't think too much of them.

I don't do my kicks like in any class, since they're both SLOW and telegraphed; if someone sees your kick coming (like swinging your leg back, or "chambering" it by raising it up etc). then you're in big trouble-- speed and undetectibility are the essence, not only in striking, but retracting the leg as well to avoid it being trapped.
    The best way to throw a front-kick without telegraphing it, is to avoid shifting your weight to the support leg-- it's unnecessary since you want to throw the kick so quickly that you'll bring it back to the ground before you can fall so much as an inch. When using the rear leg, just kick with the rear leg without shifting your balance first; your body will fall back a little, but this will allow you to transfer this power into the kick; you have to work on snapping it out and then pulling it back as fast as possible. As for the front-kick with the front leg, do the same, this is a little more difficult with less power, but gives you more range and so it's quicker; you can combine this with a forward shuffle as well from the rear leg.

As for the side and round-kicks, I recommend always kicking with the lead-leg, using the rear-leg and body to push into the motion and give you a wind-up without drawing the leg back.

As for the back kick, this is ok in certain situations, but not when the person is in front of you.

Edited by - dansevering on February 09 2003 14:40:30

Posted On:
    2/09/2003 3:45pm

Style: non

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the best kicks are either to the nuts, knee's, or hip, but thats my opinion

"A California man has been taken to court for stalking Anna Nicole Smith. The man has been charged with invasion of privacy, illegal trespassing, and having really bad taste."-Conan

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2003 3:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's nice when people READ the topic heading.

does anyone know of any really good schools on long island ny? specifically in suffolk county?
    Check the internet; most schools are listed there.
    If it has a name you can't pronounce or sounds like something from a chinese menu, skip it.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast