Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Chemist

Posted On:
    12/16/2004 4:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tried it during ne waza last night and no dice. I couldn't get my partner's head wrangled next to my chest in closed guard. he just kept on pushing back and up but I think I would have been cool if I just could have gotten his head secured.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2004 4:45pm

Style: Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Set up the rubber guard off an arm drag.....or when your opponent rests. If he is postured up you will not be able to begin.

Also, as you begin to pull your leg over his back, keep steady downward pressure to keep him down......you can really hold down with power this way even though it doesn't seem like it. THen you just gradually work higher and higher.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    12/16/2004 10:02pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tried it, and I must admit- its my new position for awhile- Im going to be drilling that for a couple hundred times next week.

I use my left leg setup most of the time, and besides the obvious triangle, I found an armbar on HIS left hand as well- and then theres 2 armlocks on the other arm (though one is hard to catch) and a go go plata or whatever the hell they call that thing.

I also like that I can switch hands back and forth and attack both sides- for a fight, if you pull the leg over and hold it down, you could elbow the **** out of the guys head (but thats illegal in pride and ufc aint it?)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2004 11:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had great success tonight while rolling using a rubber guard move called the "Invisible Collar" which is a choke done from guard which works great with NO GI.

The rubber guard stuff is definitely a whole new game. I know Eddie Bravo is supposedly releasing a book/DVD with all the rubber guard stuff but I heard a rumor that it is on hold because he is entering ADCC to give Royler Gracie a re-match and he doesn't want all his tricks out there just yet. Normally, this delay would suck but BOY do I want to see that re-match!

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    12/23/2004 2:41am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arm Triangle
    I had great success tonight while rolling using a rubber guard move called the "Invisible Collar" which is a choke done from guard which works great with NO GI.

The rubber guard stuff is definitely a whole new game. I know Eddie Bravo is supposedly releasing a book/DVD with all the rubber guard stuff but I heard a rumor that it is on hold because he is entering ADCC to give Royler Gracie a re-match and he doesn't want all his tricks out there just yet. Normally, this delay would suck but BOY do I want to see that re-match!
    Nice! I believe the ADCC will be in Long Beach this year? If it is I AM THERE! BAM! Let's place bets. I got $10 on Royler. Don't get me wrong, I have much respect for Eddie but there will be no one taking the other lightly for sure this time. Well gentleman... who's it gonna be?

Votes:

Royler - 1
    Eddie - 0
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2004 6:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eddie is a great stratagist and has a huge bag of tricks. He has also been training for this particular fight for a long, long time. I would have to give the edge to Eddie, here..........sorry Gracie fans......

Votes:

Royler - 1
    Eddie - 1

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    12/23/2004 10:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Royler's going to win the rematch, not to call their last match a fluke, but Royler's probably pissed off and wants to win in the worst way. I hope this rematch ends with a submission (whoever gets it) so theres conclusion at the end- I think thats the only way for Royler to get even with Bravo.

Oh yeah, call me biased because my instructor is a student of Roylers (which means that Im going to have to hide Bravo's rubber guard dvd from him when I buy it) :lookround

Royler- 2
    Bravo- 1
    Last edited by Gumby; 12/23/2004 11:03am at .

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    12/23/2004 1:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    Royler- 2
    Bravo- 1
    ttt Come on party people! This is all the votes so far? Where are all the Gracie haters, the over inflators and the debate master.... (Rhymes with)

As far as the why’s of my pick I believe too that it will be Royler because of the loss to his rep. Nothing is a good motivator as loosing is. Eddie is the man though.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    12/23/2004 2:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedElvis
    Eddie is the man though.
    I think he sometimes gets a little arrogant and cocky (but I guess when you're good, you deserve that to an extent).

To be fair though, it was pretty shitty that Royler never gave him credit for catching that triangle

"I need a rematch with myself, because thats who beat me!"

Dont get me wrong, Im a Royler fan, and often we "beat ourselves" by mindfucking ourselves into a bad position, but I dont think anyone would have thought any less of Royler if he simply said "hey, nice setup"

The ENTIRE GAME of BJJ is based on what mistakes your opponent makes (and which ones you make) so technically, everyone beats themselves when they get tapped (unless they're clearly outclassed).

I am starting to become a Bravo fan too through- I like the **** he does.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2004 3:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    .....yeah, I didn't like that Royler "I beat myself" interview after his loss to Eddie either.........it was obvious to anyone that that was NOT some weird fluke win caused by a slip or something. It was Eddies experience at the Rubber Guard, an inovative technique he INVENTED, that won that match. It was a careful setup, and a solid triangle.

......I love the Gracies.....they got me into this in the early 90's......just gotta get more humble. If you think Eddie is a little arrogant and cocky, you should hear/read an interview with Helio! THAT is confidence bordering on cockyness! I love him.......his interview on CHOKE where he describes Ricksons expertise is classic.......
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast