Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    12/15/2004 5:10am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Im in that boat with Comet- I have tried holding my foot down on my opponents back before, but I never thought it helped any or did anything different as opposed to just working from a normal guard (then again I never really gave it enough time).

I'll try drilling one of those setups tonight and see how I like it- yet another triangle setup from the guard would be great.

Chemist

Posted On:
    12/15/2004 5:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    trying it tonight, good info
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2004 5:50pm

Style: Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gypsy, I don't mind at all. The Triangle choke (where the rubber guard "meathook" leads to submission) is a blood choke meaning it cuts off the blood flow to the brain, a quick way to render an opponent unconcious if he/she does not tap.

The major power of this choke (and it is certainly a tight choke) is from the power of your legs "figure foured" where one instep is placed in the folded crease of your opposite knee. Your leg chokes one side of the neck and your opponents own arm chokes the other side. It might not look tight but I have seen teeth cracked from this choke. It is super tight. This is one reason why it works especially well if you are being overpowered by an exceptionally strong opponent......a little power goes a long way with this leverage.

Pulling down behind the head helps but it might not be necessary, depending on how well "sunk" the legs and arm are and the positioning. The oponents head to the side is not really an issue but the person doing the choke should angle off to the side (by pushing off the opponents hip) before setting the legs. Hard to describe but turning to the side as you do this move is a big key to getting it to work. Anytime you see someone struggling out of a triangle, it is almost a given that the guy doing the choke was "squared up" with his opponent and not turned to the side.

Comet, you definitely should mess with it.....I notice the stretch in my knees and hips (obviously) but most people, in my observations, that cannot do the rubber guard are limited by the knee stretching. I am certainly not the most limber guy.....but I can stretch this way.

Gumby, forget the triangle set up......that is NOT the best the rubber guard has to offer. Holding your foot acroos the back is good for adjusting your body sometimes but you must take it a step further, and you will feel when you have officially "rubber guarded"....you will see what I mean. As you hold your foot over the back (holding your opponent down) slide your leg up until it is in that slot on the back of your oponents neck. Switch your hand/foot grab to the shin with your arm limiting your oponents head movement. Tpo get your oponents hand or forearm to the mat (if it isn't there) snake your free arm under his arm and to his shoulder pushing his arm off to the side and off of your chest......use your elbow to "lock in this" arm. Welcome to mission control.......the set up to most rubber guard moves. Hold everything tight and be amazed at how much control you feel!

Let me know how it works!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/15/2004 6:04pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great stuff so far. Thanks for indulging us.

What is your take on the flexibility requirement of the rubber guard? I've heard a lot of people say you need to be extremely flexible for it, but then I hear a few say you don't need to be flexible if you do it right. You said it works for you as a big guy, so I'm interested in what you have to say.

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    12/15/2004 7:03pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sense much omo-plata-tential in this position......

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees, feel the arm breakage, flowing through you!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/15/2004 11:32pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a possible guillotine from rubber guard courtesy of the User Submitted Techniques thread at Sherdog:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showth...69#post4575269

Someone was asking about that if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 12/15/2004 11:35pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2004 12:25am

Style: Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes Aesopian, post 34 and 35 show a real good guillotine from rubber guard! Good work.....all of the moves on that thread are awesome.......but flexibility is DEFINITELY a must there! I'm not sure if I can pull off that guillotine but I'm gonna try! About your question on flexibility....you must be able to get stacked with your knee in your eye without panicing (or tearing something). If you can handle that you will be ok. Seems like some have that knee flexibility and some don't. It's interesting, seems like some guys who can do a full split can't even move into "Mission Control" and some guys who can barely touch their toes can do the most pretzel like Rubber Guard moves. I feel comfortable there and I am not super flexible.....tonight I pulled off the Pyramid (a rubber guard transition to a triangle that Eddie used to defeat Royler) and held a huge super strong guy in Mission Control at will......IT WORKS!

Comet, you are correct.....the transitions to omo-plata are amazingly smooth from rubber guard. Now, if I can only perfect the finish from there........

Posted On:
    12/16/2004 12:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by *Comet*
    I sense much omo-plata-tential in this position......

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees, feel the arm breakage, flowing through you!
    uh, you're not going to break someone's arm with an omoplata.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    12/16/2004 1:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet. Yeah, that was me asking about the guillotine. Thanks, Aeso! I can twist my legs up pretty good without it hurting (it's not often someone leg locks me succesfully, unless they are pretty good of course). This rubber guard stuff looks like it would suit me. I'm gonna try it out when I get back to training.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    12/16/2004 2:04am

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Details, details.
    Last edited by Stick; 12/16/2004 2:09am at .
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast