Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2004 12:09am

Style: Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, thanks Red......the Electric Chair is not a rubber guard move but it is a very effective way to transition out of half guard if you just can't get the sweep or pop out for the back. Strangly enough, I usually miss this move when I go for it (not smooth yet) but often get a hook in leading to me getting (or threatening to get) my opponents back......BETTER! The Electric Chair is an appropriate name.....it's like a Bananna Split but much more powerful.......definitely feels like a lethal dose of electricty if sunk hard. See.......half guard, even if you stay down there, CAN be dangerous!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2004 12:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't say but since I am new here I am not sure of the protocol.

I train in New York City under a well respected Jiu-Jitsu/MMA fighter.......seems like it might not be a good idea to just lay it out there.

Do most users post this type of info regularly?

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    12/15/2004 12:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you use rubber guard to set up a guilotine?
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    12/15/2004 12:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And yes, they do post their instructors usually. It helps weed out the fakes. Heheh.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/15/2004 12:20am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry if you're getting culture shock, because we kinda threw you into things. Share as much information about yourself as you feel comfortable. Most people are open about schools and instructor's though.

But in the chance you train at Renzo's, my teacher Eduardo de Lima is up there this week to train with you guys. He's a Gracie Barra black belt and head of Gracie Barra Tampa. Him and Renzo are old friends.

Thanks for the rubber guard info so far. It's helping me put it together in my head.

Posted On:
    12/15/2004 12:55am

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "The Meathook" looks like it could work well from a triangle type set up, minus trapping the arm. Mind explaining some details about it? As a silly grappling noob I sometimes forget to trap the arm in the triangle, and something like this looks like it could help quite a bit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2004 1:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I don't train at Renzo's but do know some of that group.....always wanted to take the trip into the city to roll there.

Are there really fakes? Couldn't you tell the "fakes" by what they write in their posts? I've been on BULLSHIDO for a few months reading before I registered........seems like everyone has interesting info or ideas......regardless if they actively train. I guess I see the point though.........I HAVE heard the guys who TALK their game instead of WALK their game.

I train under Danny Suarez.....a great instructor and a great guy. I am lucky to be able to say he is as much a friend as he is a teacher.

Chaos.....setting up a guilotine would be difficult from the "typical" rubber guard but I am sure a transition can be worked somehow if you messed with it enough........ in rubber guard you are way to "under" your opponent to launch a guilotine attack without a massive transition.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2004 1:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Gypsy. The Meathook is a great alternitive way to get an opponents arm outside.......forget the inside arm. The "pledge of alligence" and the "shotgun" triangle don't work on higher belts.......they just pass before you can establish the lock. The Meathook is a sneaky way to get an oponents arm "outside" while maintaining control so he cannot easily pass.

Notice how the transition has spider guard influences? Also, holding the wrist is key.......Eddie uses the free hand to grab the wrist in this way a lot......it is a signature of the rubber guard. If you have it, watch the Royler defeat on TWISTER again and watch his control of Roylers wrist/arm at the moment of truth.......

......I'm off to bed.....I will pick up this thread tomorrow if there is more interest. THANKS ALL!

Posted On:
    12/15/2004 1:37am

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I should've been more specific in my original post now that I have an answer. Hopefully this will resolve those left unanswered. Keep in mind I'm still a ground grappling newbie...go easy.

Is that a crank or a choke? I can't tell by the angle of the picture.
    Where is the major power of this attack coming from? Pulling down behind the head?
    Is it necessary that the opponent's head is turned to the side?

Thanks for tolerating me.

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    12/15/2004 2:00am

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting, I can do- well, "full" butterfly stretches and put my legs behind my head with ease, I often get stacked very tight and end up with people asking "uh, doesn't that hurt". Should try some of this stuff.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast