Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2004 11:10pm

Style: Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rubber Guard

I was asked to start a thread here because of some points I made on another thread about rubber guard techniques(I'm new here so bear with me). Here is what I wrote.....

"If anyone is interested in what specific moves I am refering to, it is his half guard game and rubber guard stuff that I began to adopt. I have a super strong half guard (for a white belt anyway) and can go 6 minutes in tournaments holding half guard. Feeling like I was just stagnating there I was introduced to the TWISTER DVD by my instructor who suggested I develop my half guard as a strong point and not feel like it was a strictly "defensive" postiion. I have been getting that underhook and sweeping now! Also, my long legs (I am 6'3'') are well suited to the rubber guard stuff and I seem to have very flexabile knees.....which makes his rubber guard stuff work well for me. I can pull off omoplata so easy that way that good blue belts get caught."

If anyone has any specific questions about the rubber guard, I will try my best to clear them up and if you know any points, please share. I know about 7 different moves from rubber guard. The moves are difficult to describe but I will do my best.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/14/2004 11:13pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's start simple. I have never seen the Twister DVD, and I have never read more than some vague forum posts about it so...

What is the rubber guard, as in, where do you put your feet, you legs, your hands, etc. and how do you maintain the guard?

From how most people talk about it online, I just know it as "a high guard where you grab your feet and stuff" which doesn't do much to communicate it to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2004 11:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "high guard where you grab your feet" is a good way to describe the basic position but rubber guard is far different from a typical high guard. While high guard will not work well to stop your oponent from posturing up (without you grabbing his/her head), rubber guard will hold your oponent down in a very powerful way using only one arm and one leg. This frees up an arm AND a leg for possible offensive moves........this is what makes it both new, and effective.

Posted On:
    12/14/2004 11:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For some of Eddie's techniques, check out:
    http://www.grapplearts.com/Rubber-Guard-Setup-1.htm

and

http://www.grapplearts.com/Rubber-Guard-Setup-2.htm

BTW, I've used "The Meathook" and it works great!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2004 11:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok.....one leg is lifted up on the opponents back and pulled with the oposite hand until the leg is across the back of your opponents neck. The arm is then leveraged across the side of your opponents neck (oposite the leg side, same as the arm side) across the collarbone. The other foot can control the hip. This is Mission Control.....where the rubber guard moves start from. This, if done correctly, is a very powerfiul controling position.

Someone on a different thread said you had to move quick from here because it is easy for an opponent to escape and pass from here.......not true. If done right it is a very secure position. At first I was getting passed from here, true, but as I perfected this initial hold, I became better at adjusting and realized it is as good as closed guard for control. Your colsed guard didn't work so great at first either, right? Work it.........

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2004 11:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, thanks Johnny.....those are two triangle choke set ups using a form of rubber guard but actually, the best rubber guard moves don't transition into an "already existing" move......they are unique from begining to end. The Crocodile, The Invisible Collar, and The Crowbar are a few examples. The Pyramid is the move used to transition to the triangle when he choked Royler.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    12/14/2004 11:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good stuff Arm Triangle. +REP!
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    12/14/2004 11:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to Eddie's home page and he shows three techniques here as well:

1. The Invisable Collar
    2. The Electric Chair
    3. The Meat Hook

http://www.thetwister.tv/10PJJ.htm

Look under info and then techniques.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2004 12:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Chaos......The December issue of GRAPPLING magazine has a great article on Bravo and has four rubber guard moves outlined.

Oh, I almost forgot, the coolest thing is that these rubber guard moves do not rely on grabbing collars or sleeves so they work with GI or NO GI. I train in both, alternating days, and usually have to learn different moves for each class or different grips/positioning to effect certain common moves. This rubber guard stuff is great because I can use it across the board......and becuause of this I am improving with it fast.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    12/15/2004 12:05am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arm Triangle
    Thanks Chaos......The December issue of GRAPPLING magazine has a great article on Bravo and has four rubber guard moves outlined.

Oh, I almost forgot, the coolest thing is that these rubber guard moves do not rely on grabbing collars or sleeves so they work with GI or NO GI. I train in both, alternating days, and usually have to learn different moves for each class or different grips/positioning to effect certain common moves. This rubber guard stuff is great because I can use it across the board......and becuause of this I am improving with it fast.
    Who do you train with again? I think you already said but I forgot and am too lazy to search.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast