12/14/2004 8:03pm

Style: Aikido, Boxing, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question for Tae Bo

http://www.trainforstrength.com/workout2.shtml

http://www.trainforstrength.com/workout5.shtml

http://www.trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml

What benefits, if any, do you think these workouts have in relation to other methods of training?

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    12/15/2004 4:22am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't read in TOO much detail, but skimmed over them. The first two seem to be pretty good for endurance, both aerobic and muscular. Didn't really read the third one much, but it appeared to be basically describing HIIT, which is a good way to train aerobic capacity.

If you can do it, I'd say go for it, couldn't hurt.

I did check out his description for reverse squats however, and did have a little bit of a beef with this form on those. And this leads me to believe that he might be handing out bad information in relation to other exercises as well, but I didn't look into any others.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2004 6:59pm

Style: Aikido, Boxing, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as martial arts training goes, would you say that those workouts are more or less effective than a workout that emphasizes explosive power. Is it possible to reap the benefits of both types of workouts by doing both simultaneously.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2004 5:11pm

Style: Mixed/Freestyle Kickboxin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just throwing in my two cents here, and I am by no means as qualified from a professional level to have as much weight on this as TBM (and maybe she can give her opinion on this), but what I have found is that it is hard to get everything from one workout. What I try and do is set different days aside for different types of workouts. The ones above would be great for the example. As powerlifting if done correctly has been rather awarding for me
    in terms of explosive power, I like to incorporate it into the weekly routine, but the thing is you usually need a good bit of rest before you lift that body part again (at least a week).
    What I would do is the following...

Monday - Loosen up and get some of the Benefits from one of the first two workouts
    Tuesday - Do a power lifting routine for the upper body, like chest and back
    Wed - Do another one of the above workouts
    Thurs - Have a good MA practice day
    Fri - Do a power lifting routine for the lower body (throw arms in if you like and you should)
    Sat - Have another light MA day
    Sun - Take the day off and rest, it Biblical

Again make sure to have some break in the time b/t power lifting routines.
    You can mix it up a little but make sure to give muscles time to recoop.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Boomstick; 12/16/2004 6:16pm at .

Posted On:
    12/18/2004 3:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A week? Probably too much rest. Only extremely well trained athletes doing really high volume training need that much rest. When you're training for more general fitness like the routines displayed above, you can get away with 3 days a week, easily.

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2004 1:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master
    A week? Probably too much rest. Only extremely well trained athletes doing really high volume training need that much rest. When you're training for more general fitness like the routines displayed above, you can get away with 3 days a week, easily.
    Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific... For example I wouldn't do really heavy powerlifting routines on the same body part more than once a week... a.k.a. - If I am doing 6 sets of 4-2 squats of 250 - 325 (with a light warmup to start), I wouldn't do squats again for a week. It's not to say that I wouldn't do anything at all with that part of the body, like I would still do those lunges and the likes of what was in the above exercise routines, but I usually avoid heavy heavy lifting on that part until the following week.

Posted On:
    12/20/2004 4:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right. But no one except power lifters should be working out that way first of all, and second of all, only really advanced trainees should be doing anything resembling that level of intensity.

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2004 11:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is true I suppose... I am just pointing out what worked for me. I started this under a sports coach's supervision and would have to say that it has been very effective for me. But I would have to say to Akurru or someone new about something like this they should have a lot of guidance and take their time doing it. From a personal standpoint I have had overwhelming success using it, in both strength and explosive power, and with adequate rest (a complete week or two off every 6-9 weeks) I haven't experience any injuries. But like I said, I learned under supervision, in very safe scenarios.

Posted On:
    12/20/2004 6:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's great. But my point is, even if you're making these great increases in power lifting type strength, that's only specifically applicable to power lifters. Martial artists do need explosive strength, sure, but there's also a lot more attributes the MAist should be concerned with. For example, how much aerobic endurance do you think your average power lifter has?

- The Wastrel