You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 5:27am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think that just asking around with your buddies is enough:
    - If they've never met the applicant, how can they know what his ability is?
    - If they've trained the applicant, they can give him his qualifications directly
    - If they've trained the applicant, but don't feel he deserves to be graded, then you probably shouldn't be giving him a belt.

How often do you award black belts based on video alone? Is it closer to 1 in 1000, or 1 in 10?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 5:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now, if you told me that you are a BB, I will not beleave you until I see you performing your skills, also I will require you to compete in a tournament of my choice and request to you won at least 4 consecutive fights ( this will be a test for fighting againts other MA oponents ), this is just part of your test and will include a test in person, in addition your BB exam for adult 12 years and over will include a running before begin your test that it is ussualy two miles in 18 minutes. But if I know that you have performance all this already because I have see you in action in tournaments and one of this respectful friends told me that you are a BB is because you are a BB. They use almost the same standards for testing like us. Thats why we have in common the same friendship and respect.
    Last edited by WMACPR; 1/11/2008 6:17am at .

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 6:25am

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WMACPR
    ...I will require you to compete in a tournament of my choice and request to you won at least 4 consecutive fights.
    What kind of test is this? Anybody could just brawl their way through 4 opponents, and on the flipside, an actual BB could lose right off the bat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 7:17am

Style: Ju-Jitsu, Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "also I will require you to compete in a tournament of my choice and request to you won at least 4 consecutive fights ( this will be a test for fighting againts other MA oponents )"

Presumably you pick a suitable tournament and don't just send everyone into the nearest TKD contest. Of course, this means that you can't award belts to most styles, since there are no competitions suitable for them to go to. Forex, the ony thing you could send me to would be an MMA show... and I don't think I'd be given 4 fights on the same card.

Nor would I survive, most likely.

The approach you're now claiming to use only works within a very limited set of arts and styles. It's also different from the original 1000 words approach.

Can you possibly spell out the whole procedure I'd have to go through to get a belt from you, so that we understand all the steps involved, along with how the procedue works for different styles...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 11:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kobayashi Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Getting to the point where a person needs hip waders on this thread. Since you were not forthcoming to my request of who in you organization was from Canada I did a little search and came up with two names. Searching further I find that neither one seems to own a club in their respective areas and are not even listed as instructors. Your roughly 180 countries with affiliates smoothes out to about 7 on your own web site. Further searching into various Canadian TKD websites I found there are no references to your organization. Strange for a group so widely recognized and respected. As far as your scrambling to cover the requirements for a BB certification, Bullshido, your application requires none of what you have listed in your recent postings. 'Live in the spirit of the Martial Arts', not a direct quote but close enough. As long as you agree to this statement and your check clears that is enough. Also, you indicated that you would do a criminal background check. Can't be done here. People can't just walk in off of the street and ask the local police service to run a criminal check, even with written permission.
    The sad thing about this whole issue is that some people fall for this crap and buy their BB certificates from you people and others like you, and really believe they are what the paper says they are. On a more positive note, if this scam of yours falls through there is still conning the elderly available as an alternate.

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 1:54pm

Style: Former FSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by m4949
    http://www.worldmartialartscollege.com/

check out the rank certification page....

I can buy rank from them with paypal.

I guess paying for rank makes it more legit than making a rank up.
    I wonder if Jacques Patenaude from Fang Shen DO knows about these guys. He could buy yet another certification!

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just shot an e-mail off to the British Taekwondo Control Board, asking what they thought of WMCA's grading system. Now I feel like an asshole squealer.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 10:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shindo Jinen Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelpong2
    Furthermore, when an applicant writes in their 1000 words about their training, experience and general badassness, do you actually check it out or just take their word that its all true?
    Perhaps there is no need to trifle with facts. Remember, the instructor certifies that he/she will "live in the spirit of Martial Arts".

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 10:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shindo Jinen Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by avenger
    Has anyone here bought a belt yet?
    I bet not. It seems most here are old-fashioned in that they believe in working for what they get. And they work for a living.

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 5:21am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine1973
    Perhaps there is no need to trifle with facts. Remember, the instructor certifies that he/she will "live in the spirit of Martial Arts".
    The "spirit of Martial Arts" is an attempt to place a soccer mom friendly philosophy a modern American industry. Any research of martial arts history indicates that there have been enough anti-social personalities in the arts (For example: James Mitose, and yes I read his trial transcript) that there is not a universal, cross cultural, positive standard of MA behavior.