Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 4:51am

Style: BJJ, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Klitschko

Vitali Klitschko successfully defended his WBC heavyweight championship against challenger Danny Williams, knocking down the Brit four times before referee Jay Nady mercifully stopped the bout at 1:26 of the eight round Saturday at Mandalay Bay.

Klitschko landed an astounding 47 percent of his punches, connecting on 296 of 519 he threw. Most were hard and meant to do damage. Its interesting to note that after this fight, about half the trade press headlines were about how Vitali's hands required hospital examination after the fight rather than about his victory over Danny.

Klitschko has only lost twice in the ring - once to Lennox Lewis (a fight he was winning on points) which he lost due to a cut ala Vitor vs Randy II. The other to Chris Byrd was also due to an unlucky shoulder injury rather than damage sustained from his opponent.

There's virutally no PR in the mainstream press surrounding Vitali which makes me think the powers that be in the boxing world aren't happy about him being in the position that he is.

So are we looking at potentially one of the greatest heavyweight champions of our time, being undervalued and undermined continuously in the press due to his russian heritage, or is he the lamer that most of the press makes him out to be?

This article here is a pretty good read:
    http://www.boxinginsider.net/columns.../103524884.php

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 5:24am

supporting member
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well - he is from the Ukraine not Russia.
    He is pretty big in Europe where he started his pro fighting career.
    And is fighting style has been described as robotic...
    So , I guess one he get's a promoter who knows how to milk the whole Las Vegas thing a bit more...

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 7:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both Klitchko's suck.
    Stiff awkard fighters.
    Heck, Vitali couldn't take out an out of shape Lewis who didn't even wanna be there.

Does anyone here think any of the Klitchko's could match up to any of the past champions in their prime?

[This space for rent]

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 7:53am

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Klitchko has an impressive record so far. I saw the fight against LL awhile back and was amazed at how he still wanted to continue the match despite having a gigantic gash in his eye. I feel personally that he would have definitly won that fight if it had gone the distance. However I think the problem with Klitchko is that his fights aren't that exciting, sure he's a huge mother, and has enormous reach and (not sure) some decent power, but his fights just aren't very exciting.

You watch a fighter like Gatti, usually gives the crowds their moneys worth, then watch Klitchko, sure he's great, but c'mon, robot fights aren't THAT interesting.

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 8:30am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look, the boxing world has been looking for a "great white heavyweight" for decades, the fact that no one in boxing thinks much of Klitchko, should speak volumes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 9:12am

Style: BJJ, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well he's Ukrainian which doesn't really mean white... most ukrains are partially asian but I see your point.

Still his record is impressive lets not forget he was winning on points against lennox. Lennox said after the fight that he thought Klitschko was the best of the heavyweight champs at the moment (although klitschko couldn't beat him of course) - be interesting to see how he would have faired against some of the other champs from the past.

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 9:52am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mike Tyson
    Evander Holyfield
    Lennox Lewis

To name only three, see them at their best, see Klitchko at his best...

Does he stand a chance?

The only one I think he would remotley stand a chance would be Holyfield, and even then...

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 11:38am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, finally subject I know about. I think the latest crop of Heavyweights, all suck and I think it will be a long time before we see another Mike Tyson or Muhammed Ali. The days of an Undisputed Heavyweight Champ/Unified Title will be a while off and as much as I think Lennox Lewis sucks, he's better than all the latest crop of Heavyweights.

Marasmos

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 3:08pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin69
    Mike Tyson
    Evander Holyfield
    Lennox Lewis

To name only three, see them at their best, see Klitchko at his best...

Does he stand a chance?

The only one I think he would remotley stand a chance would be Holyfield, and even then...
    He'd kill Tyson, IMHO. Vitali would be a terrible matchup for Iron Mike stylewise. He'd hang back and take him apart.

He'd also, Imho, have a decent shot against Holyfield.

Lewis, at his best, would dismantle him.

Overall, Vlitali is one of the most underrated boxers today, which, considering that he's the current heavyweight champ, is pretty amazing. He may not be a particualrly pretty fighter, but damn effective, composed, and accurate.
    You say what about my rice?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 3:30pm

Style: FMA/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i cant recall who said it, but it was some former champ, before the fight, klitchko is just the pick of a very average bunch at the moment, he doesnt look as lean or mean as countless other previous fighters, lets be honest (from a UK perspective) most of the country were deluding themselves that williams could beat him, to be plain about him beating tyson 'look i beat up an ex alcoholic, bankrupt near 40 year old' go me!
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast