Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 8:27pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

If you land on bottom....

Well, I figured since I had another thread on this about being on top I'd ask what most people feel about being on the bottom.

Consider the situation as being a challenge match where someone comes in and fights you in your own school. Then consider another as being a plain street fight between you and someone you dont like or know (with no fear of others jumping in).

IF you land on the bottom and have guard control, which do you prefer?

1: Try to escape back to my feet, I dont like fighting on the ground

2: Play a defensive game by trying to hold him close- only go for something if it seems its easy to get- I dont like fighting off my back, but I've got to do something

3: Play an offensive game and attack with submission and sweep attempts because you dont mind being on your back at all

4: HOLD until hes too tired to do anything and then try to escape.

I'd consider myself taking option #3- Im a tall guy with a skinny build, so I've kinda accepted the fact that I have to fight from my back in a fight more often than most other people. Guard is also by far my best position, so I'll fight anyone from there.

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 8:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are a BJJ guy. How could we expect anything other than #3?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 8:37pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We can only assume he pulled guard in the first place.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 8:41pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Self-referential trolling aside, I say #3, with the goal reversing to a dominant position.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 8:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    Self-referential trolling aside, I say #3, with the goal reversing to a dominant position.

Hey Im just trying to stir up some conversation here thats all.

I thought of option 4 because alot of people only know guard is a position thats better to be than mounted, but dont know what to do from there. Heath Herrings first opponent in the last Pride Grand Prix I think is a good example of this.

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 10:10pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    # or bite
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 10:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby

IF you land on the bottom and have guard control, which do you prefer?
    My answer would be none of the above and a modification of several of the above. If I were in a street fight and I wound up in the guard (and this has happened to me) my first priority is to control him to prevent him from punching/biting/head butting etc. My next priority is to inflict some punishment of my own while simultaneously working my legs/hips to either sweep him over or work to get back to a neutral or dominant position. I would not lay in the guard because the situation could change very fast and the introduction of weapons/friends/random passersby could mean a difference in winning or surviving. Donít get me wrong, I am very comfortable in the guard if I am stuck there but I will never resign myself to staying in an inferior position when I can simply work to attain a better one. #4 is too ridiculous for comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    I'd consider myself taking option #3- Im a tall guy with a skinny build, so I've kinda accepted the fact that I have to fight from my back in a fight more often than most other people. Guard is also by far my best position, so I'll fight anyone from there.
    Don't sell yourself short. I have fought people much larger than myself and have maintained dominant positions because of their complete lack of ground fighting skills. If your talking strictly in the ring that is one thing, but when it's for real this is not the time to play Royce Gracie.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 10:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedElvis
    #4 is too ridiculous for comment.
    Thats the "Ken Shamrock" technique :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by RedElvis
    Don't sell yourself short. I have fought people much larger than myself and have maintained dominant positions because of their complete lack of ground fighting skills. If your talking strictly in the ring that is one thing, but when it's for real this is not the time to play Royce Gracie.
    I never said Im going to be buttscooting my way around the ground, but I dont mind being on my back. Being on top though is always a much better option. I've managed to control people who are much bigger than me as well, but sometimes I may not be able to take a larger guy down (but I can reverse him once we hit the ground).

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 1:11am

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Challenge match: I'm pretty new to the ground game, but can do a few moves from the gaurd pretty damn well. Probably go for a sweep or sub I know how to do halfway decently. I'd lose anyway, unless the challenger was as new as I am.

"Street": A quick sweep followed by some good old fashioned ground and pound would seem the best option. Something quick and simple like a guillotine would probably work too. Just want to avoid getting pounded on.