Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I smell another sponsorship for yet another throwdown

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    12/18/2004 4:59am

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jungle-mania and Liu: I'm not saying the school is bad, I just didn't know exactly what to expect. Just because it didn't meet my (probably very off) idea of how it would look like doesnt automatically qualify it as a sucky school.

I know of Chris' qualifications, as well as of his injury, and I took that into account when I visited the school. As it is however, I'm rather glad I didn't join it because I'm getting a lot more activity at NUS. The trainings are longer and more demanding, and the people there are pretty friendly as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2004 10:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No worries, no harm done. BTW is Mr Tan Kheng Juan still the head coach there? It has been a long while since I was there, almost 2 years. Also is Lai Han Seng still co-instructing there?

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    12/19/2004 9:24am

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, they're both still there, and they're both awesome.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    12/19/2004 9:37am

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What does everyone hate Hannibal? Sure, I've read some pretty boring posts where he just blurts out things everybody here already knows, but I've seen plenty of others do the same without attracting all these flames.

Really, I'm just curious. I love messageboard politics, pecking orders and social structures. It's just so wonderfully bizarre.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    12/19/2004 10:03am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PoleFighter.. I think you need to read the last 6 months of Hannibal's posts.
    He used to be really rebellious, and even admitted he did no training, but was still prepared to comment on the OBVIOUS effectiveness of ninjutsu or whatever..

But we wore him down.. (major props to Shumagorath for his ongoing and consistent efforts) He went and apparently visited a Kyokushin School to see what they did in his search for a suitable style that he could commence once his 'injury' had healed. (or he was sick, or something)

anyway..

He came back from the demo of the school saying how much Kyokushin Sucked. He was then hammered HARD by many many people here who know the opposite.

That's the point at which he caved. From then on, he apparently 'joined' up with Kyokushin, and pretty much agrees with anything that any senior site member says. Just like a parrot.

OR

He'll regurgitate some **** he heard a week ago - but get the details wrong.
    Worstly - He'll make up any excuse he can to not meet anyone from this site in person.

Hannibal..I bet you love it how people talk about you like you aren't even in the room..

Rightio everyone - have I missed anything important? or does that about cover it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2004 7:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lifetime, I used to train under them, they are one of the best in TKD in Singapore and the TKD training at NUS is very tough compared to most other schools, with the exception of NTU (their arch-rival in the Varsity games) who always seems to a month or 2 ahead of the competition in training. It would seem to me that you are more gamed for tough pyhsical training and less on the technical side. Now, don't get me wrong on this, but it is not that TKD does not have a technical side to it, but there is a stronger emphasis to be better at certain techniques than any others due to the rules of the game.

If you are keen to train in MMA, you got to be more rounded and have alot more technical knowledge as a first priority, hence the need to drill in the basics in all aspects of the combat field. Conditioning is pretty much a DIY.

The rule of thumb is the rules of the game decide the way you fight, take a look at how every fighter in their own art stand differently from others. The more rules there is, the more emphasis on conditioning, since it is the dominant deciding factor. The less rules there is, the more technical you have to be, soyou can last alot longer. Although this is a very rough gauge on martial sports and can vary, depending on the level of skill and cardio of the fighters in a match.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    12/19/2004 7:54pm

supporting member
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kungfucolin:
    I asked you about the claims you made about your judo coach in a different thread, him being a former heavy world champion and olympic participant for the Czechs.
    ( best teacher thread)
    You seem to have a no-bullshit approach when it comes to other people in this forum, that's why I am wondering why you haven't answered on my questions.
    Maybe you didn't see them.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    12/19/2004 8:09pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AFS: Quite right you are. I'm sorry, I didn't see the question. In answer to your question - Bruce Mok - the friend that introduced me to the club was the one that told me about Milos' history with the sport. Given that he is on the current Olympic coaching team - I never doubted it. I'll do some research for you to give you a better answer.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    12/19/2004 8:15pm

supporting member
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    List of World Champions
    http://www.judoinfo.com/champion1.htm

Source " Olymic Judo "by Nicolas Soames, Ippon books
    The Czech heavyweight fighter in Montreal was V.Nowak.
    The Yugoslavian fighter was Radomir Kovacevic, who later won bronze in Moscow

Cheers
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567