--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm surprised noone has bothered to ask:
    Lifetime, where is the school
    what is the schools name
    who is the instructor
    is there a website
    blah blah, etc

Bad schools are not necessarily mcdojos, and neither is confined to one style.

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 6:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The MMA classes at our school only go for one hour. However, by the end of that one hour everyone is exhausted, thanks to The Rev. When I teach I'm a bit kinder, since we've got the advanced BJJ class straight afterwards.

The class generally has a warm-up of punching and kicking combinations with sprawls and double-legs done "in the air" to the count of the instructor for 5-10 minutes. This is a great way to warm up and work on form at the same time. Classes are now either predomintately stand-up or ground-related for a night. So one night might be more stand-up striking and grappling, or working against the wall, the next night working on grappling and striking on the ground.

The class finishes off with more of the punching/kicking/double-leg/sprawl work. Of course, people who have a MMA fight coming up will work more cardio and also on what they need to work for the fight i.e. sprawling against takedowns so they can work their striking.

I don't know the school you're referring to, but it's the end of the year and they might have been having a slow night. They might also not have fighters or be training people specifically for the ring.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 6:27pm

Style: Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You do your conditioning on your own time; MMA isn't Tae Bo. Most MMA/NHB schools I know aren't a fitness program, they're there for you to improve/refine your skills or learn new ones.
    And we catch so much flak for this :smile:

Granted it probably has more to do with the common representative not demonstrating this, but still...

In any case, a MMA school will probably have so much in the cirriculum it would be impossible to touch on everything in a single class. I don't see why its unreasonable that they were just doing clinchwork that evening, for instance. They might also simply have been looking at some technical aspects over t3h r3stenze!!11!! for a change. Knowing how completely different each of OUR classes are, it's impossible to guage a school from a single class--as it should be; monotony and emphasis on workout often indicates lack of content.

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 9:46pm

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's Chris de Wet's MMA gym in Singapore, website is www.contactkinetics.com

I was going on the advice of a couple of bullsido members who said it was pretty good, so I was expecting something different; to the club's defence there was at least one fairly well-conditioned, well-skilled fighter there, and Chris de Wet himself wasn't there so this other guy was taking the class.

I understand that a MMA gym might not be as intense as a concentrated martial art in terms of technique and conditioning, but I expected at least some way to practice techniques and work out what works and what doesn't etc. All I really saw, in my opinion, was a few boxing drills and a tiny bit of clinch work tacked on at the end. Everything as well was done with little resistance, so it's not like you actually got to see how to put something to use because your partner was cooperating with you. There wasn't anything like a free 5 minute session where you tried to take your opponent down gently or anything like that. No rolling, no sparring, at all. Which is what confused me.

What I also wanted to know when I started the thread; is this form of training similar in MT or BJJ gyms? What's the training regimen like? Do these places train like athletes (eg. lots of conditioning, refinement of techniques, competitiveness etc) or are they more about teaching a skillset (usually less intense, at-your-own-pace learning)?

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 10:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds weak to me but it depends on what you were watching. If you were to stop in to where I currently train on a Monday or Wednesday you would be either treated to watching a kids class with uniforms and colored belts or watching a beginning kick boxing class that is more akin to TaeBo than anything else. You would think how much the place sucked and would never look back.

Were you to stop in on a typical Saturday morning you would see 2 to 2 1/2 hours of non-stop technique, situational drills, grappling sparring, striking sparring and a combination of both. The difference is that the people on Saturday are there to learn to seriously fight/compete and the people on Monday and Wednesday are there to get the basics. (Plus these classes pay the bills). There are hardcore classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays too but you have to work your way into these and they save Saturday for the most intense sparring.

The place I will be starting to train at in January is going to be intense classes on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays (2+ hours of MMA) with the gym open on the other days for whoever wants to show up and work on whatever. Again, if you stopped in a Monday you would likely see very low intensity work on just moves and such. Not impressive but not an accurate portrayal.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 10:50pm

Style: fumoffu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lifetime:Chris de Wet is a very tough fighter,he is the kyokushin fighting champion you know,and Okinawan Goju-ryu exponent~~~
    Others in SMARS are also tough fighters,i think you had met some of them~~~
    Remember that this is Singapore(which has a very small population),and MMA is always the minority no matter where.So in order to pay the rent for the gym to survive in Singapore,they have to cater to all age groups and thus the kind of training that you saw.

Nevertheless,you might want to consider sanda,MT or kyokushin~~~
    "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
    - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 12:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Liu: Yeah I heard about that, which is why I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. There were some good fighters there like I said, so they're obviously doing something beneficial in that class. I just don't understand how you can get that good just by doing a class like that alone. Thanks to everyone for clearing that up, but for the time being I'm going to stick with WTF training..

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 2:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to train WTF TKD,jungle_mania said that standard of NUS tkd is good~~~
    Anyway,sanda training is free and timing is flexible,just PM me or jungle mania if you want to take it up.
    "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 5:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah Liu I followed the advice and went to NUS. Awesome training, I'm going again tonight!

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    12/13/2004 5:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad you have made the right choice,enjoy~~~
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast