Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 9:23am

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How MMA gyms really train..

And by that I'm really asking, is what I saw really what I should expect from MMA.

Elaboration:

On the advice of some members here, I checked out a local MMA gym here and took a look at their training program. Now from all the stories and anecdotes I've heard about MMA, I was expecting some really eye-opening, hard-hitting, tough stuff. I was thinking, good cardio, lots of resistance and alive training, at least one controlled sparring session, and ground techniques.

What I really saw:

The class lasted for maybe an hour an a half.
    Half an hour spent on warmup stretching, very light cardio in the form of one minute skipping rope. Bag/pad work with punch combinations (nothing too intense) and very little kicking. Saw maybe 20 knees 20 roundhouse kicks per person in total. Light bag work (meaning the instructor tells everyone to go hit a heavy bag for about a minute or so, in whatever fashion they wish). Light clinch work, no takedowns or defences, no ground techniques, nothing. Just practice staying in the clinch. Through all of this, there is very little resistance. No sparring at all, not even lightly. There was a distinct lack of the "I'm going to get my ass kicked" feeling.

What my WTF TKD (!) training is usually like:

Class lasts for about, maybe 2 1/2 to 3 hours. About 15 minutes warming up (includes running and stretching), then followed by mitt/bag-work practicing kicks, kick combinations and speed drills. This usually takes up the bulk of the class time. Then there's about 20 minutes of fully-padded up drills, to practice things like counter-kicking or back-kicks, done full contact with resistance. Then after that there's usually about another 30-45 minutes of full-contact sparring with breaks in-between (so on average you're fighting about 5-6 3 minute rounds, taking a break between each).

What I really want to know is, from you people doing MMA out there, what is your definition of a hard training, and do any of you really train that way? Is it like the one I saw above? How long are your classes on average?

I personally find that anything below 90 minutes doesn't really have time to get really physically demanding unless it's a sparring session. If that training above is indicative of the way most people train, either I'm deluded or it'll take a lot longer than I thought to get good at MMA.

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 9:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most MMA training is really cross-training.

Regarding the lack of contact, cardio, etc. - like anything else, you need to find the right school.

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 11:54am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lifetime
    And by that I'm really asking, is what I saw really what I should expect from MMA.
    What I really want to know is, from you people doing MMA out there, what is your definition of a hard training, and do any of you really train that way? Is it like the one I saw above? How long are your classes on average?

I personally find that anything below 90 minutes doesn't really have time to get really physically demanding unless it's a sparring session. If that training above is indicative of the way most people train, either I'm deluded or it'll take a lot longer than I thought to get good at MMA.
    You do your conditioning on your own time; MMA isn't Tae Bo. Most MMA/NHB schools I know aren't a fitness program, they're there for you to improve/refine your skills or learn new ones.

Classes that waste your time doing push ups and other exercises typically do so because they don't have much to teach. Where I train, we might do some sprawling or movement drills on occasion, but most of the 2+ hours is spent either learning techniques or rolling/sparring.

Get a heavy bag, or a buddy and some focus mits, and do that stuff at home. If you already know how to punch and kick, it's a waste of time to practice it over and over at your school, in dead patterns. A MMA school's for sparring under your instructor's guidance and learning from your classmates, not standing in rows throwing reverse punches.

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 12:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Criminey, Phrost, did you even read his post?!

Sounds like either you caught the school on a slow day (most likely) or that it sucks. I'd attend a few more times to figure out which is which.
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 12:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm ANGRY PHROST today, apparently.

Genius

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 12:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally find that anything below 90 minutes doesn't really have time to get really physically demanding unless it's a sparring session.
    Depends on the training. That MMA school you went to probably just sucked. I think anything more than 90 minutes is likely to be a waste of time, as attention span diminishes greatly for most people.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 1:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the name of the school, and where is it? Does it have a website?

MMA is a sport, and not a style. If they're a MMA Gym, they have a fight team. That's how you judge whether or not they're good.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 1:31pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost
    You do your conditioning on your own time; MMA isn't Tae Bo. Most MMA/NHB schools I know aren't a fitness program, they're there for you to improve/refine your skills or learn new ones.

Classes that waste your time doing push ups and other exercises typically do so because they don't have much to teach. Where I train, we might do some sprawling or movement drills on occasion, but most of the 2+ hours is spent either learning techniques or rolling/sparring.

Get a heavy bag, or a buddy and some focus mits, and do that stuff at home. If you already know how to punch and kick, it's a waste of time to practice it over and over at your school, in dead patterns. A MMA school's for sparring under your instructor's guidance and learning from your classmates, not standing in rows throwing reverse punches.

aaahhhhh, I wouldn't agree 100% with what mr. grumpy here has to say I do agree with my MMA classes are designed around athletes. Come learn the technique, condition on your own.

Other martial art classes are really designed to teach the novices and people who need to be lead. I wouldn't say they don't offer much for techniques just trying to make sure that the most students have the same level of training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 2:03pm

Style: Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick question, has anyone heard of Jorge Gurgel? There's an MMA school that's affiliated with him, wondering how his reputation is

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    12/12/2004 3:12pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast